Dereham and Fakenham area focus

DEREHAM WANDERERS U12 Girls were away to top of the league Bohemians and lost 8-2. Bohemians started strongly and scored a disputed goal with a Dereham player hurt.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U12 Girls were away to top of the league Bohemians and lost 8-2. Bohemians started strongly and scored a disputed goal with a Dereham player hurt. This upset Dereham and they soon conceded a second. Dereham held their heads high and tried to strike back but Anna and Rochy just couldn't get through their defence. Drew pulled off some good saves but could do nothing about another three goals before half-time. The second half was a big improvement with Millie and Hannah running rings around Bohs. Mary also started gain confidence and stand her ground. Rochy finally slotted one past their goalkeeper. Ella and Erren were working really hard in defence but Bohemians got through three more times. Anna finally got the goal she deserved. GoM: Drew, classic saves, prevented double figures.

FAKENHAM U9 played Old Catton on Sunday and suffered their first defeat of the season with no subs available to Shaun the manager. Fakenham started well with a great goal from midfielder Brandon Futter who put in a fantastic performance of strength and fitness. Jack Smith was a tower of strength up front and hit a couple of good shots of which one hit the bar, which gave Brandon the rebound. Fakenham's captain Josh Whitaker created lots of chances but it wasn't long before a cruel goal just slipped by Reggie for 1-1. Cameron Webster, who has been a driving force behind Fakenham for so long, got hit hard in the stomach by an elbow and needed to come off - he struggled on and dropped into defence. This gave Ethan Barley a chance in midfield after doing a great job in defence. Then the injured Cameron pulled off the shot of the season from a first-time strike from the half-way line and it soared in for 2-1 to Fakenham. Elliot Hull was solid in defence and had loads to do playing beside an injured Cameron. Old Catton converted a free-kick on the edge of the box for 2-2. Within seconds Cameron took another whack in the stomach from the ball and had to come off - so Fakenham were down to six lads and the opposition capitalised to get another to win 3-2. Fakenham played with determination and gave it their all against the odds. Team of the day: Captain, Josh Whitaker, Brandon Futter, Jack Smith, Ethan Barley, Reggie Bloomfeild, Elliot Hull.

DEREHAM TOWN U14 beat Hellesdon 7-2. In the second minute Upton's low shot gave the keeper no chance. However, a Hellesdon shot soon flew off Mitchell and looped over Cox into the top corner. After 20 minutes Skipper's deep cross from the right was spectacularly volleyed home at the far post by Mason to put Dereham ahead at 2-1. Williams increased Dereham's lead but again they allowed Hellesdon to reply quickly when Cox spilled the ball and left a tap-in to make the score 3-2. Allen struck a fierce drive from 25 yards that thumped down off the bar. Betts found Williams in the area, and although the keeper parried the shot it spun into the far corner. Three minutes later Williams scored again to make the score 5-2, and almost from the restart Parke fired home No 6 from the corner of the area. Dereham scored the final goal when Mason's shot was blocked and fell to Betts 10 yards out and his powerful shot flew into the net.

MoM: Louis Mason.

DEREHAM WANDERERS BLUES U10 entertained Wymondham in the quarter-finals of the League Cup, one of the best teams in League One, the Wanderers being in League Two. Dereham's team included Finlay, Byron, Jordan, Reece, Josh S, Ben, Josh B, Adam and Billy. By the end of the first quarter Dereham led 2-1. Wymondham began to show signs of their quality but Dereham were still battling for every ball and at half-time Wymondham led 3-2. Wymondham's strength started to show as they put seven goals past the tiring Dereham team. Dereham however came out for the final quarter determined, did not allow Wymondham to increase their lead and were extremely unlucky not to score a couple more goals themselves. Final score: Dereham 3, Wymondham 10. Before the game Dereham had some bad news when Finlay, who has been brilliant in goal all season, said he would be moving on to play for Dereham Town. It wasn't all bad though as he has said he would continue to play for the Blues for the rest of this season when his games didn't clash with Dereham Town. Everyone involved with the Blues would like to thank Finlay for playing a major part in this year's excellent season and to wish him all the very best in the future.

LITCHAM U12 travelled to Thetford Bulldogs for their second leg of their League Cup semi-final. Litcham had a lead from the first leg but took nothing for granted as Thetford always defended with dogged determination and attacked with pace. Both teams were up for a battle but Litcham always looked comfortable on the ball in the first half with some nice touches through midfield, trying to play the ball on the ground. But every attack was broken up with the ball pumped straight back down the field. The break Litcham needed came from a clearance that was worked through the middle, allowing Alby to take on the full back and cross for Felix to arrive in the centre for the first of his two goals. Litcham soon scored their second in a goalmouth scramble. Bulldogs came back at Litcham with some counter attacks that needed Kyle to make some important one-on-one stops. The game grew scrappy with Bulldogs playing the long ball in the second half and header tennis took over. Kai was brought down in the area and converted his penalty kick, then Litcham started to play their normal game. A strong team performance over the two legs with an aggregate win of 9-0 putting Litcham into the cup final. Squad: Kyle, Brad, James, Charlie, Harry, Nathan, Alby, Jake, Kai, Felix, Aaron, Matthew, Titus.

Most Read

WELLS TOWN U10 lost 1-0 at West Winch U10. On a very damp and foggy day Wells travelled to West Winch to play the league leaders and were very unlucky to lose. Both teams created several chances within the first 10 minutes with shots going wide from Scott and Conor. Good defending from Harry and Scott made it difficult for West Winch to get through to goal. After Harry went down injured West Winch scored to make it 1-0. Wells were denied a free-kick three feet from goal after West Winch back-passed to the goalkeeper but it was not given. Keeping their spirits up, Wells battled on and when West Winch put pressure on Kailem in goal, he made some excellent saves. Conor was substituted with five minutes remaining and Wells put West Winch under pressure, but on a day when things went against them Wells were unlucky to lose. Team: Kailem, Jack, Scott, Mark, James B, George, James P and Conor, Harry. MoM: Kailem.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U13 GIRLS played host to Docking Devils. They were too strong in the early stages and went a goal up when Bea finished off a nice move. Paige added a second and it looked as if Dereham would go on and dominate, but the game went very flat, Dereham took their foot of the gas and that allowed Docking to grab a goal back. Docking upped their game while Dereham struggled to re-assert their early dominance. They did, however, restore a two-goal advantage before half-time when Bea got her second goal. Half-time was a chance to try and regroup The second half started a little better. There was a little more urgency about the play and they were starting to create more chances but the Docking keeper was strong and playing well. Dereham added just one goal in the second half but it was a terrific header from leading scorer Lanti that gave a final score of 4-1. It was a win but not a convincing performance, but the girls were reminded that to be champions you have to grind out results sometimes. Manager's player of the week: Georgy, who was full of running and committed.

DEREHAM TOWN U10 entertained Firside in the quarter- finals of the League Cup in a thriller. The game was played at a frantic pace with both teams giving 100 per cent and playing some very skilful football. The first half saw Firside create the better chances with Dereham taking time to settle: 0-0 at half-time. It was end to end in the second half with the teams evenly matched with plenty of chances created. Dereham showed great spirit as they came from behind twice with goals from Harry to finish normal time 2-2. Extra time was just as full-on with neither team giving way, but Dereham began to edge it when Kyle made it 3-2. The second period saw Dereham in full flow and dominating. Harry got his hat-trick for 4-2 then Will added another. Final score: 5-2. MoM: Marcus. Team: Will, Josh, Jake, Marcus, Mason, Daniel, Kyle, Harry, Czarek, Findlay.

DEREHAM TOWN U12 played Hethersett in the cup quarter-finals at Aldiss Park. They started brightly, with Ryan, Phil, Cally and Jordi all having chances. The first goal came after the keeper flapped at Max's corner and the ball hit a defender and bounced in. Dereham were in control and their great passing game created many chances. With 10 minutes of the half left, Max won the ball in the middle and sent a fine pass for Jordi to run on to. He beat a defender and pulled it back for Boycey to tap in. Hethersett pulled one back when no-one dealt with a long ball and the forward stabbed the ball under Fitty for 2-1. The second half was scrappy as Hethersett broke up Dereham's passing game. Fitty's positioning was perfect as he made a number of saves. On seven minutes the impressive Joe broke up an attack and cleared to Max, whose through ball put Lewis in to score from the edge of the box. Zak made two last-ditch tackles and Rio and Mateo worked really hard but Hethersett came back to 3-2 when a forward volleyed into the top corner from a flag kick. Billy worked tirelessly on the left and with the last play of the match Boycey headed Lewis' free-kick just wide. Final score: Dereham 3, Hethersett 2.

FAKENHAM AMBERS U10 entertained Watlington at Trap Lane and won 5-0. From the start Fakenham enjoyed good possession and created several opportunities but were unable to convert. A few positional changes led to the first goal when Ben threaded a pass through the Watlington defence and Tom remained composed to score. Rahul produced a confident performance in goal and was well supported by Charlie and Josh in particular. Half-time: 1-0. At half-time the goalkeeping gloves were passed to Jake. Fakenham continued to enjoy good possession through their passing game. The second and third goals both came from Ben's pin-point crosses, as Reece volleyed in from close range and Aaron headed a well-taken goal. Ben put his name on the scoresheet with a well-taken shot from distance. The Ambers finished with a fifth goal through Aaron. Man of the match: Josh. Team: Rahul, Josh, Charlie, Aaron, Reece, Ben, Tom, Jake.

FAKENHAM GHOSTS U10 saved their best performance of the season for the visit of runaway league leaders St Edmunds Pride, who won 2-0. Having suffered their heaviest defeat in the away fixture, the Ghosts set out to ensure there would be no repeat scoreline. As expected, St Edmunds started confidently and had the hosts on the back foot, but Travis, Dan and Kai in particular read their attacks well and snuffed out any danger. The Ghosts came more into the game and they were rewarded for their tenacity with a greater share of possession, which in turn led to them creating some attacks of their own. The first half finished goalless. The second half continued in much the same vein but, unlike previous weeks, the Ghosts didn't let their standard of play drop. Matty, Jack and Ben gave their all in midfield, and just as it looked as though their endeavours would be rewarded, St Edmunds worked a good move and a shot from the edge of the box put them ahead. Although Jamie got his hands to the ball, he will be disappointed not to have kept it out. St Edmunds scored another good goal late on to ensure the win they deserved, but the Ghosts should be proud of their performance and if they continue to play the same way for the rest of the season, results will come. Man of the match: Dan, for leading by example. Team: Jamie, Travis, Kai, Dan, Matty, Jack and Ben.