Dereham book Senior Cup final place

Dereham 1, Wroxham 0: Dereham reached the final of the Norfolk Senior Cup at Carrow Road for the first time in front of a bumper crowd at Aldiss Park last night.

Dereham 1, Wroxham 0

Dereham reached the final of the Norfolk Senior Cup at Carrow Road for the first time in front of a bumper crowd at Aldiss Park last night.

The only goal came from Matt Amis on 62 minutes to set up a meeting with Ridgeons League, Premier Division rivals Norwich United.

Having seen his side lose a two-goal lead at Wroxham on Saturday, delighted Magpies manager Robert Taylor said: “I thought the lads deserved it as we were the better side.

You may also want to watch:

“We should have had the tie sewn up at half-time at their place so we had to do it all again.

“We defended well with the wind and played better with it. We wanted it more than they did.

Most Read

“The supporters were fantastic. I thank them for coming to cheer us on and hope they will continue to support us in that manner for the rest of the season.

“This is a great night for the club. I am thrilled for the lads.”

After a tentative opening Dereham's Andy Moody sliced a pass that was intercepted by Lee Gilman that led to Neil Bugdale firing wide of the home goal when unchallenged from 20 yards.

With the strong breeze behind them Wroxham pressed again and Ben Carver hit a curling left-foot effort over the top from near the right touchline.

As Dereham began to play, a good cross from the left by Brendan Foley was headed down by Daniel Wright to Sam Willis, but he could not get a shot in when well placed in the 13th minute.

Wright was then put clear down the right flank and beat his man with ease before delivering a dangerous low cross which Wroxham hacked to safety.

As both sides continued to strive for the opening goal, Dereham won a free kick in an advanced position and Paul Nichols headed Graham Barrett's chip back across goal but Robert Woodcock gathered untroubled.

Wright put Barrett through after the break, forcing Woodcock to charge from his area and the keeper did just enough to thwart the danger.

In the 62nd minute Barrett's deep free-kick was headed back across goal by Moody to Amis, who nodded home to put Dereham ahead.

Midfielder Amis was having a big influence on proceedings and he headed into George Jermy's path, but he blazed wide.

Dereham were now really applying the pressure and forced another corner before Woodcock made a brilliant save to deny Barrett following fine play by Willis.

Damian Hilton won a corner for the visitors, but Howes' curling centre was headed wide of the near post by Josh Carus in the 80th minute.

Dereham played out the final minutes with keeper Nathan Pauling having to gather a Carver cross at the second attempt in the final minute.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus