Dereham, Fakenham and Wells youth scene

FAKENHAM HIGH SCHOOL U12 had a convincing win at Diss in the County Cup. On a windy afternoon they out-play their hosts. The score of 1-0 up soon became 2-0 and only one result looked possible.

FAKENHAM HIGH SCHOOL U12 had a convincing win at Diss in the County Cup. On a windy afternoon they out-play their hosts. The score of 1-0 up soon became 2-0 and only one result looked possible. However, Diss started to come back into the game and a good solo run led to them pulling one back. Just before half-time Fakenham conceded a penalty for handball. This was hit just over the bar for 2-1 at the break. After missing several good opportunities in the second half, and some tactical reorganisation, Fakenham's size and strength proved too much for Diss who conceded a couple more goals towards the end. Final score 4-1 to Fakenham.

DEREHAM WANDERERS STRIPES lost 2-1 to Dereham Wanderers Blues who settled first, causing Stripes considerable concern as they broke down the left. Blues went close several times, Stripes struggled to get going but took the lead when the ball broke loose from the middle, giving Connor Wilkinson the chance to sweep the ball in the net. For five minutes Stripes shone but soon Blues pressured with some fast-moving play. Another break down the left found a Blues player in acres of space from where he hit the equaliser. Stripes could not get into their usual rhythm, Blues by contrast continued to flourish and took the lead late in the first half. With the wind behind them and playing down the hill Stripes had the opportunity to fight back with hard work from Thomas Moyes and Ashley Bell giving some much-needed impetus. With Ryan Sergeant and Matthew Palmer strong at the back Stripes looked more balanced and started to carve chances. Thomas Semmons prompted and probed but all too often Stripes were thwarted by the offside flag. Pushing Louie Seaton up for the last 10 minutes enabled Stripes to put Blues under severe pressure but still the ball would not go in for the deserved equaliser. Stripes need to add more aggression to their play as well as using the whole of the field. Team: Myles Wheeler, Billy Newson, Matthew Palmer, Miguel Ferreira, Kyle Mitchell, Benjy Sutton, Ryan Sergeant, George Broster, Louie Seaton, Thomas Moyes, Joe Whitehead, Thomas Semmons (c), Ashley Bell, Connor Wilkinson. MoM: Thomas Semmons. Manager's MoM: Ryan Sergeant.

LITCHAM U12 travelled to Scole on Sunday for their first encounter in the league. Litcham started with the wind at their backs and soon took control. Superb interplay between all departments saw them go close on several occasions before hat-trick Hero Felix netted his first goal. Sustained pressure saw Felix score another, Charlie scored direct from a corner and Alby slotted home coolly to make it 4-0 at half-time. The second half was made difficult by a well-organised Scole pressing at every opportunity. With the wind in their faces Litcham found it hard to get out of their half but steely determination from the midfield and defence kept Scole at bay. Litcham broke the deadlock with crisp passing and movement releasing Felix to complete his hat-trick. Final score: Scole 0, Litcham 5. Team: Kyle, Bradley, James, Ben, Harry, Jake, Alby, Nathan, Charlie, Felix, Aaron and Kai. MoM: Ben.

FAKENHAM U9 played Blofield U9 in the second round of the cup and put in a great effort to seal their place in the quarter-finals. Blofield put up a great fight and it was 0-0 at half-time. Then Fakenham stepped up the tempo with Josh Whittaker's great strike from outside the box on the left sailing in the back of the net. Jack Smith stepped up with a solid punt setting up a superb pass from the injured Cameron Webster to Ethan Barley whose magnificent vision and first touch led to him making it 3-0 to Fakenham. Elliot Hull was pushed into midfield due to Cameron's injury and he did a great job. Michael Page's debut was outstanding with some great tackling and a solid performance, leaving Brandon Futter in midfield/striker who played awesomely and fought for everything in a great performance. All the team played the ball around the pitch really well against a good side and once again Reggie Bloomfield kept a clean sheet. Team: Reggie Bloomfield, Cameron Webster, Brandon Futter, Josh Whittaker, Jack Smith, Elliot Hull, Michael Page. Man-of-the-match: Brandon Futter.

DEREHAM U14 made a poor start when, after Mitchell seemed to have cleared the danger from an early Thorpe corner, the defence stood still and watched the ball crossed back to the edge of the six-yard box where the Thorpe striker was allowed time and space to head home. Churchyard was pulled up for a marginal offside decision, then a good combination between Lake and Allen gave Churchyard a headed chance which beat the keeper but cleared the bar. Half time: Thorpe Rovers 1, Dereham Town 0. Thorpe's striker ran clear of the defence and finished well and minutes later the same striker bundled his way past the last defender to score again. Upton set up a shooting chance for Churchyard, but a good block prevented a clean strike. Thorpe broke again and their striker held off a challenge before firing into the bottom corner. Two minutes later Thorpe had a spare man at the back post to fire home No 5. Wright played in Churchyard who struck a fierce cross/shot that was kept out by a very good save. At the other end a speculative shot from distance curled on the wind and dropped just under the bar. Full time Thorpe Rovers 6, Dereham Town 0. MoM: Lewis Allen.

FAKENHAM U13 welcomed Spixworth to Clipbush Park in the second round of the Norwich League Cup. Fakenham went 1-0 up early with Martin setting up Christian for a long-range shot which bobbled under the keeper. Fakenham had all the first-half play and many chances but a half time it was still 1-0. Fakenham had been so dominant that keeper Grant had not touched the ball once. Early second half Brady battled for the ball in midfield and put a pass through to Dan who made it 2-0. Another goal soon followed with a long throw from Tom running through to Hilly, who buried the ball high into the top of the net for 3-0. Jack passed to Harry who slipped the ball through to Tom whose shot hit a Spixworth defender and took a big deflection for an own goal to make it 4-0. Fakenham's final goal came during torrential rain and a howling cross-wind when Kyle put a high ball over the defence for Martin to run onto and fire into the goal to make the final score 5-0 to Fakenham. Team: Grant, Jack, Dion, Sam, Curtis, Tom, Harry, Christian , Dan, Martin, Kyle, Olly, Brady, Hilly.

Most Read

FAKENHAM GHOSTS U10 travelled to Wimbotsham in the league. In a close encounter, early on as both teams battled for supremacy. Fakenham made the first chances but Ben was unlucky to hit the post and Matty was unable to get his shot away when clean through. These misses proved costly as midway through the half the ball was given away cheaply in midfield and an onrushing midfielder was allowed space in the box to fire home. Travis and Kai had to defend strongly. The Ghosts upped their game for a while in the second half but as chances came and went there was an air of inevitability that the home side would break away and score again. Even at 2-0 down the Ghosts could have got back into the game, but when Matty, Chant and Jack failed to convert three half-chances within a minute there was only going to be one outcome. Wimbotsham added two late goalsto win 4-0. Man of the Match Travis had his best game of the season by far. Team: Jamie, Travis, Kai, Matty, Jack, Ben, Chant and Dan.

FAKENHAM AMBERS U10 travelled to Reffley confident could improve upon their performance when the two teams met on the first day of the season. The Ambers dominated the first period but it took at least 10 minutes before Jake was able to create enough space to thump the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards. Possession in key areas resulted in no benefit as players over-indulging themselves instead of sharing the ball around. As a result of their solitary first-half attack Reffley equalized from a corner when Fakenham failed to clear. Just before the interval the Ambers were rewarded when Ben struck a low drive from 25 yards which the Reffley keeper was unable to hold. With no substitutes available to Fakenham the players were instructed by the coaches to pass the ball and move it forwards quickly. This did so and immediately several chances were created but not converted. As a result of good wing play and a deep cross by Ben, Josh maintained his composure and scored a goal using his chest. Reece soon added No 4 with an uncharacteristic right-foot shot. Jake completed the scoreline which reflected an all-round solid team performance making it very difficult to choose any individual man of the match. MoM: Reece (For acting on manager's instructions so well). Team: Calum, Rahul, Charlie, Ben, Reece, Josh, Jake.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U10 STAGS beat Thetford Bulldogs B 9-0 in the Trophy Cup round two second leg. An early goal from Logan was followed by Callum scoring from the edge of the box and Chris from the halfway line. Chris and Callum went close. There was good defending by Logan, Nathan with James battling well in midfield and Adam unlucky not to score with a long-range effort. The third quarter saw more chances for Callum and Logan. The Bulldogs made a break but a great save by Alice kept them out. A shot by Regan went under the keeper for 4-0. Chris' long-range effort was saved. A great through ball by Logan was finished under the keeper by James. Logan finished a good run with a goal for 6-0. A through ball by Logan was finished well by Alice. Great battling by Josh won the ball and he beat the keeper for 8-0, A great run by Callum set up Josh for a tidy finish and 9-0. Goals: Logan 2, Josh 2, Chris, Alice, Regan, Callum, James. Pom: Chris, MPoM: Callum and Josh.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U11 GIRLS progressed to the next round of the cup with a good victory away to Firside Foxes. The team welcomed Leah and she made a good contribution with some excellent tackles and passing and also scoring one of the goals in a performance that earned her a player of the match award. Alice opened the scoring before Laura made it 2-0 after a long pass out of defence from Saskia. The visitors were unlucky not to score more with a number of shots hitting the Firside post before Laura made it 4-0 at half-time with two more goals. Firside had a number of chances in the second half and their keeper made a number of important saves but second-half goals for Dereham from Leah, Laura and Alice ensured a final score of 7-0. Dereham squad: Jess, Hollie, Saskia, Charlotte, Laura, Leah and Alice. Goals: Laura (4), Alice (2) and Leah. Players of the match: Leah and Saskia.

WELLS TOWN U10 drew 1-1 with Wootton U10. Wells started well with great passing from Scott, Mark, Conor anmd George. They created several chances within the first few minutes. When Wootton did manage to push forward James B was very strong in defence, making Jack's job in goal easy. Wells pressure was rewarded with an excellent strike from George, blasting the top of the net to make it 1-0 to Wells at half-time. Wells came out looking the strongest team second half but started to get tired and Wootton forced Jack to make several good saves. Wootton equalised from a corner deflected off a Wells player in the goalmouth. Jack made a crucial save in the dying seconds. Man of the match was Jack Broughton. Team : Jack, James B, Bailey, James P, Scott, Mark, Conor and George.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U13 played host to second placed Taverham Girls in the quarter-finals of the League Cup, Dereham just edging their previous encounter with a late winner. Dereham suffered a blow before the game when keeper Chantelle was ruled out with an injured wrist, which meant Joy had to deputise in goal. With Lonny playing an unfamiliar right back position and Merrick playing central midfield, Dereham had been asked to start on the front foot and really get about the Taverham defence. Dereham's pressure soon paid off when Merrick opened the scoring with a good finish. Dereham doubled that lead when Bea calmly slotted past the Taverham keeper. Chelsea had a superb shot well saved by the keeper who was having a great game and Bea fired just wide. Taverham got back in the game with a goal following a corner. The response was almost instant as Lanti restored the two-goal advantage only for another defensive lapse allowed Taverham a goal just before half-time for 3-2. Joy and Lonny swapped at half-time with Joy back in a familiar defensive position. Taverham got an equaliser at the beginning of the second half, more uncertainty in defence gifting them the goal. It was a score line that was completely against the run of play. Merrick was back to her absolute best in midfield, Chelsea's pace was a constant threat and Lanti's determination and skill was winning all 50-50s. Lanti netted the all-important next goal and completed her hat-trick a few minutes later to give Dereham a 5-3 lead. Lonny and Becka were strong at the back as was Joy in the second half and special thanks go to the subs, Georgy and Ellen who played the final five minutes. Both showed great maturity and understanding knowing it had been exceptionally difficult for the manager to make changes. Manager's PoM was Lanti, she led by example battled very hard and got important goals.