Dereham/Fakenham area notes

DEREHAM WANDERERS U13 GIRLS kicked off their season with a tricky away game at Costessey. Lanti, playing left midfield, collected the ball just inside the Costessey half and went on a mazy run before cutting inside and rifling a powerful shot from out side of the area into the net, the keeper had no chance.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U13 GIRLS kicked off their season with a tricky away game at Costessey. Lanti, playing left midfield, collected the ball just inside the Costessey half and went on a mazy run before cutting inside and rifling a powerful shot from out side of the area into the net, the keeper had no chance.

With 15 minutes gone with her very first touch as a Dereham player, Merrick was in exactly the right place to finish off a shot from Lanti that had not quite enough power to cross the line, leaving a nice tap-in for Merrick. Bea, another new player, was showing some excellent touches and her link-up play was very good.

There was still time enough in the first half to run in another two goals, but it was some of the passing and movement that was so pleasing to see. At half-time more changes were made. Sarah, Becka and Lanti made way for Joy, Georgy and Chelsea to come back on. The second half started where the first had left off, plenty of possession and little for Chantelle, in goal, to do.

Merrick was full of running and really showed her class with some great dribbling skills and showed what a good finisher she is to by scoring a further three goals in the second half, the best of which saw her beat three Costessey defenders before very coolly slotting the ball past the keeper. Chelsea had a shot cleared off the line and was unlucky on another occasion not to get on the scoresheet, as was Bea. It was a great team performance. Merrick was awarded the Manager's Player of the Week honour.

DEREHAM WANDERERS drew 2-2 with Waveney in a thrilling encounter. Both sides played an open passing game with chances at either end, with the visitors' goalkeeper having a particularly good game to keep the home forwards at bay. In the Dereham defence Saskia and Charlotte had a good game and Alice was energetic in midfield making several important tackles.

Waveney managed to break the deadlock in the last minute of the first half with a shot lobbed over home goalkeeper Brooke.

Most Read

Soon after the restart Alice and Laura combined well with a series of passes before Alice scored the equaliser with a good shot. Waveney hit back midway through the half with a long-range effort but Dereham's efforts were rewarded when Laura made the score 2-2 and was unlucky to hi the crossbar soon after.

Dereham squad: Brooke, Saskia, Charlotte, Alice, Laura, Jess, Hollie, Ellie and Chloe. Goals: Alice and Laura.

Joint PoM: Saskia and Charlotte.

Referee: Steve Scott.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U10 lost 7-3 away to a well-organised and skilful Weeting. After a few early attacks Wanderers took the lead with a super goal from Chris who beat the home keeper from distance. Alice played well in the Dereham goal and made a number of excellent saves throughout the game but despite valiant efforts could not prevent the Weeting equaliser.

Undaunted, the visitors fought back and went in 2-1 at the end of the first quarter with a goal from Logan. Dereham were forced into a number of substitutions through injuries as Weeting pressed hard and made the score 2-2. They took the lead in the third quarter but Dereham were rewarded when Laura was able to tap in Logan's strong shot.

In the final quarter and Weeting's passing play paid off as they scored four times.Dereham squad: Alice, Saskia, Chris, Regan, George, Josh, Callum, Laura and Logan. Goals: Chris, Logan, Laura. Dereham PoM: Alice.

FAKENHAM U13 travelled to Buxton and beat Spixworth 4-0. In a scrappy first half Fakenham however had lots of goal scoring opportunities but came up against an in-form Spixworth keeper who kept the ball out until Dion's long-range free-kick made it 1-0. Great distribution from Grant in Fakenham's goal sent Martin on a super run down the right wing. Martin passed on to Brady and he laid off to Olly who struck a thunderbolt shot, from the corner of the penalty box, which flew into the top corner.

A corner put in by Christian which resulted in an own goal which made it 3-0 at half time. In the second half Olly made it 4-0. Team: Grant, Sam, Harrison, Dion, Curtis, Jack, Daniel, Christian, Tom, Olly, Martin, Kyle and Brady.

DEREHAM WANDERERS REDS U12 won 4-2 at Wymondham. The Reds dominated with good passing and movement rewarded with John scoring after 10 minutes, chipping the ball high over the goalkeeper from close range. George, John, Louis and Zach supported by Matti and Dale in midfield posed a continual threat to the Wymondham's defence. Zach's dogged determination on the left wing was rewarded with a goal from a low shot on 13 minutes.

Against the run of play Wymondham scored on 15 minutes with a high looping shot from the right just outside the Reds goal area. Kurt, Eggo and Jack were stalwarts in defence with DJ ever alert dominating his goal area. The first half ended with a score 2-1 to the Reds.

The second half score mirrored the first with Wymondham equalising on 40 minutes followed by two further goals from the Reds scored on 47 minutes by George with a precise placed shot into the corner of the net. Alex then increased the Reds tally to four on 68 minutes with a driven shot from the right of the Wymondham goal area.

LITCHAM U12 beat Lakenheath 6-0 in their first home match of the season. Litcham were up for this game and straight from the kick-off and were into their passing game. With James and Harry winning headers possession was retained for the midfield to weave their way through the visitors' defence to create good shooting opportunities with Both Kai and Felix bagging two each. Some good interplay saw Nathan Jarrett slot home and Charlie Read a scored a fantastic free-kick from outside the area curling into the top corner. Kyle was confident in goal with Bradley and Tyler breaking up attacks down the wings. Nathan T, Jake, And Alby in midfield with opposition man of the match Titus creating space for himself down the right wing. Man of the match: James. Coaches' choice: Harry.

DEREHAM U10 A drew an evenly matched contest at Attleborough 0-0. Attleborough had the only real threat of the first half when they broke through but Will was quick off of his line saving well with his feet. Dereham created more chances in the second half. Kyle put Harry through who shot just wide. Marcus came on and made an instant impact putting a nice lobbed ball over the defence for Harry to run onto, he fired in a low shot which the keeper did well to clear. In the final stages Jake put a perfect corner onto Harry's head, which glanced off of the crossbar. The lads were unlucky to lose 1-0 to Old Catton.

Dereham had the better chances in the first half. Marcus' shot from distance rebounded out to Mason who shot close and Jake saw his long range attempt go just wide. In the second half Old Catton broke the deadlock when an awkward ball into the box was turned in for an own goal. Dereham's best effort came from Dan when he struck the ball well only to see it skim the post. Team: Will, Josh, Jake, Aaron, Marcus, Mason, Daniel, Kyle Harry and Czarek.

MoM: Will.

DEREHAM U11 started their season at Aldiss Park playing Rocklands who were winners of last year's A league. Rocklands were resilient with some sound defending and saves by their keeper. This was matched by some equally good defending from the back four; Ash, Tyler, Joe and Kuda with Ollie making some good saves. There was some good one-two passing between Ryan and Connor which led to Connor scoring a superb goal after a strong strike from the edge of the box.

Both teams were pushing hard as the half-time whistle approached with Rocklands sneaking one past the defence and the keeper to make the score 1-1 at half-time. With Dereham playing into the wind the second half proved more of a battle with Rocklands coming out on top with an early goal 2-1.

The boys were not going to go down easily and dug in with Jamie making a good break after a well placed ball to Jacob. Rocklands' defence, however, cleared the ball taking down the pitch and scoring making the score 3-1. Ash played particularly well and kept the pressure on Rocklands' attack, forcing the ball towards Dereham's attack and both Tyler and Ryan made great attempts at goal with Ryan's being tipped over the crossbar by the Rocklands' keeper. Another goal from Rocklands set the score at 4-1. Man-of-the-match was Ash.

DEREHAM TOWN A beat a mid-table Narborough side 7-1. Dereha took the lead through Adam Manly after some good work form Gizzy King. Dereham continued to probe, but against the run of play a deflected through ball wrong-footed the Dereham defence and Narborough equalised. Dereham created several opportunites without taking the lead until Kyle Meachen, pouncing on a loose second ball, curled a fantastic 25-yard effort into the net.

The second half started with Dereham in the ascendency, the only Narborough chance producing a sharp save from Patterson in the Dereham goal. Dereham increased their lead after an excellent cross-field ball from Woodgett put Manly through to finish emphatically with a well-struck dipping volley. Dereham soon went from 3-1 to 5-1 with a Wes Baines headed brace, the second of which was a bullet header from the far post to the opposite corner, both goals assisted by King. Adam Manly completed his hat-trick after another defence-splitting ball from Woodgett and an assured finish by Manly. Gizzy King completed the scoring with a sweetly struck free-kick that found the top corner. This was a first-rate performance.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U12 GIRLS started this season with a 1-1 draw away to Swanton Herons. It was one of those matches where Dereham had so many chances, Hannah, Anna and Cerys were constantly striking the target but to no avail. Also a half way shot by Chelsea was denied. Drew had very little to do in goal in the first half with thanks to Erren and Ella in defence. Herons upped their game in the second half keeping Ella defence on their toes but a corner by Cerys, who found Ella put Dereham ahead. Mary came on replacing Chelsea and Erren went in goal to bring Drew out field. As the girls were tiring, Herons made it1-1. Anna had an excellent game. Girl of the match Erren, made a couple of really good saves.

DEREHAM WANDERERS BLUES U10 beat Shipdham Falcons 5-2 goalie stood his ground and saved shots from Josh, Ben and Billy. .Seven minutes into the second quarter Adam scored for the Blues, quickly followed by a superb second goal. The third quarter started with the Falcons attacking, Finlay made some fine saves. Byron and Jordan stood strong and defended well. The third goal came from Ben which was the result of a free-kick. After some end-to-end action the Falcons number nine scored, making it 3-1. A handball resulted in a penalty from which Ben scored for 4-1. Despite the penalty, the Falcons goalie played a sound game and made some great saves.

The last quarter saw number 11 for the Falcons score, a scramble on the goal line, Finlay got a touch and went for the save but this one trickled in under him! Josh S came back for the Blues with the final goal, having been fed an excellent ball, making the final score 5-2 to the Blues. Dereham Wanderers Blues lost all their games last season, so well done to their fantastic start to the new season! Manager's MoM: Jordan Butler.

DEREHAM TOWN U12 defeated Sprowston 6-1 on Sunday. They started well, with Lewis and Wattsy playing up to Jordi, who cut in and planted the ball into the far corner. Dereham piled on the pressure and Phil sent a shot just wide. Wattsy won the ball on the edge of the box. He passed to Max, who saw the keeper off his line and sent a sweet chip from 20 yards for 2-0. The busy Jordi had a shot well saved and Ben's effort was turned on to the bar.

A great move from Max to Jordi allowed Ben to run in and score from close in. Sprowston pushed forward, but Fitty showed a safe pair of hands in goal. With a minute of the half left, Lewis sent a speculative volley forward and saw it bounce over the keeper to make it 4-0 at half time. Early Sprowston pressure kept the impressive defence of Zak, Joe, Mateo and Rio busy. It was tight in midfield until Wattsy set Ryan up for a rocket left foot from 25 yards for 5-0. Jared burst through two tackles and the ball ran to Ben who shot just wide. Sprowston then pulled one back with a fine low shot. Billy set up Ben for the sixth.

DEREHAM TOWN U15 beat St Andrews 6-0 at Aldiss Park on Sunday, Town took an early lead when Nick Hook linked up well and the cross found Jack Howard unmarked to tap in. Dereham doubled their lead five minutes later when good work from Hayden Rutherford found Connor Ashford, his shot was blocked but the ball fell to Nick Hook to slot home. St Andrews pushed up and tried to get back into the game but Nathan Pearson was solid at the back again. Dereham counter-attacked and soon gained a corner. Shaun Gerrard's delivery was perfect and Ryan Hawkins header hit the back of the net.

The visitors' heads never dropped and they kept going but found Dereham in irresistible form and they made it 4-0 when Lloyd Stubbs cross was converted into the roof of the net by Nick Hook. A moment's lack of concentration just before half-time resulted in St Andrews being awarded a penalty, but Robbie Clarke saved well with his feet. The second half started with a goalkeeper change with Jack Howard replacing an injured Robbie Clarke. Dereham were scrappy to start the half and had lost their fluent passing game, the only chance of note was Ross Bailey's goal-bound effort being blocked by the St Andrews defender, until an injection of pace from Matty Doyle resulted in a well taken goal. Dereham finished the scoring when Jim Walters popped up in the box to score by calmly putting the ball passed the on rushing goal keeper.

Dereham Wanderers Stripes lost 4-2 at Thetford. Fast flowing football saw Stripes defence put under intense pressure. Stripes just could not get to grips with the game in midfield as over-elaboration cost them dear.

Thetford went ahead with a well-worked goal. Stripes bounced back with a scrambled goal from George Broster however the lead vanished on the stroke of half-time as Thetford took their chance. In the second half Benjy Sutton made his first appearance for Stripes turning in a convincing performance.

Thetford grew stronger and it was no surprise when they added two more goals to put the result beyond doubt. Stripes replied through Joe Whitehead. Team: Myles Wheeler, Matthew Palmer, Miguel Ferreira, Keenan Stokes, Harry Barnes, Benjy Sutton, Ryan Sergeant, George Broster, Louie Seaton, Joe Whitehead, Thomas Semmons (c), Charlie Barnes, Ashley Bell.MoM: Miguel Ferreira.

Manager's MoM: Benjy Sutton.

FAKENHAM AMBERS U10 began the new season with a 0-0 home draw against Reffley. Good early crosses by Reece and Tom could have resulted in goals but to no avail. Fakenham dominated much of the first half and any threat which Reffley posed was snuffed out by Josh W. Despite considerable possession Fakenham were frequently thwarted in their attempts to score by the Reffley keeper. In the second half Reffley played with more purpose and confidence. However, Fakenham responded with several fast attacks. Josh R and Charlie were unlucky not to open the score. Jack made a solid league debut at right midfield.MoM: Reece.

Team: Callum, Josh W, Jack, Tom, Ben, Reece, Josh R, Charlie.

FAKENHAM GHOSTS U10 travelled to Clenchwarton to play their first game of the new season with a completely new team From the kick-off the midfield trio of Ben, Brandon and Louis won lots of possession and Brandon put the Ghosts ahead from close range. Travis and Daniel in particular were at this stage dealing with any attacks the home side tried to mount.

The Ghosts doubled their lead when a good flowing move involving Louis and Matty resulted in Ben firing home from a tight angle. The turning point in the game came just before the half time whistle when a home player was allowed a free run into the box to score and make it 2-1 at half time. With new found belief Clenchwarton completely turned the game around and by midway through the second half were 4-2 up. The Ghosts did regain their composure and pulled a goal back through Louis but lost 3-4. MoM: Daniel. Team Jamie, Travis Kai, Daniel, Louis, Chant, Ben, Matty and Brandon. Next: Wootton home, Trap Lane 10.30am ko.

PANTHERS U11 lost 2-1 to Harling. After 10 minutes the Panthers went 1-0 down but Elliott caused the Harling defence constant problems with his pace up front. After 19 minutes Elliott picked up the ball in the Harling half and beat the defence with a great run, from the edge of the box he hit an unstoppable shot to level the score.

With five minutes to go before half time Harling were awarded a free-kick, a great strike saw the ball end up in the Panthers net giving Harling a 2-1 lead. Panthers were unlucky not to equalise in the 40th minute after Luke got his head on the end of a cross which saw the keeper make a good save. Liam, Ashton, Oscar and Tommy constantly battled with the Harling attack and showed some really solid defending. In the 51st minute Chris netted but the effort was disallowed for offside. It was another great team performance from the Panthers. Harling voted Elliott as man of the match, and the manager's MoM award went to Alex.

TOFTWOOD United U12 Luke, Josh, Harry T, Alfie, George, Dean, Sonny, Sam, Lewis, Ryan, Matt, Harry R and Charlie played hosts to lMattishall. The boys were a goal up within minutes when Matt lobbed the keeper 1-0. Mattishall took the game to Toftwood and made it 1-1. Sam put the boys back in the lead 2-1. In the second half Toftwood's Matt scored his second with a shot on the turn. The defence of Harry T, Alfie, Josh and the impressive George still had to work hard, George worked tirelessly on the left and was solid in his role. Sam then got his second to make it 4-1 and Matt got his deserved hat-trick to make it 5-1. Sonny rounded the scoring off after a lovely lay-off from Matt 6-1. MoM: George Simpson.

SHIPDHAM FALCONS U10 lost 5-2 to Dereham Wanderers Blue. The first quarter was evenly matched with shots from Ben and Conor all going wide. At the other end Ryan made a good double save stopping Wanderers scoring. The second quarter saw Wanderers score twice giving them the lead. Adam and Jordan played well at the back keeping the ball out of the path of any Wanderers. Connor and Lyndon passed the ball well in midfield finding Ben and Conor up front who passed the ball from one to the other for Ben to get his first goal of the day.

Wanderers fought back and got another. The final quarter saw Shipdham Falcons in a different light and they all put in 100 per cent but they had left it too late, Ben scored another goal but Wanderers scored twice in the quarter giving them a 5-2 win. MoM: Ryan Barlow. Manager's Player: Adam Breeze.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U10 STAGS got the new season off to a perfect start with an 11-1 win against New Buckenham. Virtually from the kick-off, the home side took the lead, after Logan's shot was parried, leaving Laura to tap in. Buckenham's keeper produced a number of important saves to keep the score to 2-0 at the end of the first quarter, after Laura added a second on her way to a seven-goal haul.

By the end of the second quarter, Dereham were leading 6-0, with Logan and Callum also getting on the scoresheet. Despite the score, New Buckenham played some determined football and made a number of attacks on the home goal, but Chris, as team captain, was playing well at the back with Saskia and Josh, while Alice made a number of good saves in the Dereham goal. Laura scored three more times in the third quarter, taking the score to 9-0, while Logan took the score into double figures in the final quarter before Chris converted a penalty.

With seconds remaining, Buckenham scored a deserved consolation goal. Dereham squad: Alice, Saskia, Chris, Josh, George, Callum, Logan, Laura and Regan. Goals: Laura (7), Logan (2), Callum and Chris. PoM: Laura Nicholls. Manager's PoM: Chris Broster. Referee: Paul Robins.