Dereham/Fakenham area reports

Dereham U11 met Sprowston U11 in the quarter-finals of the cup.

Dereham started into the wind and early chances were missed before Harrison’s powerful shot made it 1-0. The second half saw Dereham press forward and Czarek beat the keeper from a narrow angle to make it two. Czarek followed it up with a subtle back-heel from Marcus’ goalbound shot and was also involved in Dereham’s fourth when his header was partly saved by the keeper only for Sam to slot the ball into the open goal. Final score: Dereham 4, Sprowston 0. MoM: Will.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U14 GIRLS travelled to Mulbarton on an extremely windy morning. Dereham were definitely below par. Players huffed and puffed their way through the first 15 minutes before making a breakthrough with Lanti scoring. Mulbarton got a deserved equaliser shortly afterwards. Dereham struggled but found three more goals before the break with Chelsea, Bea and Georgy scoring. The second half started much better. There was composure on the ball and it was played on the ground. Goals started flowing. Georgy got her second, Bea added the next two to complete another hat-trick, Mulbarton then got one back to make it 7-2. Dereham gained control and further goals from Lily (2), Becka (2), the first a tremendous strike from just inside the area, and Bea (2) gave Dereham a 13-2 victory. Manager’s PoM: Georgy.

FAKENHAM TOWN U11 entertained a much improved Costessey. They had the opposition on the back foot and went ahead when Ben found space in the box. His shot, parried by the keeper, was forced home by top scorer Reece. George and Aaron were working hard in midfield and Aaron was rewarded when he broke through and doubled the lead. Josh latched onto a clearance and coolly slotted home a third. The Ghosts still had to be on their toes to keep the spirited visitors at bay and Rahul commanded the reshuffled back line really well. More changes during the break gave the whole squad the chance to impress. Costessey defended excellently and often looked threatening. Daniel and Callum, at the heart of the defence, looked solid together and Jamie in goal was quick to clear his lines. Rahul was close to getting his first goal of the season when his lob bounced off the bar but it was left to Thomas and George to complete the scoring. Final score: 5-0. Team: Jamie, Kai, Daniel, Rahul, Dominic, Aaron, George, Thomas, Reece, Ben, Josh, Matthew, Callum and Jack.

TOFTWOOD U9 visited Costessey. Their first goal came from Oliver. The good passing moves continued and the Toftwood defence remained calm. Many more chances came Toftwood’s way after some flowing moves, and by half-time they were 4-0 up, with Oliver adding another and Peter netting the other two. The team was completely changed around after the half-time break so all the squad could play their part, and gain experience of playing in different positions, including the keeper.They again showed how the team has matured in their first season together. Costessey had more chances, hitting a post, but Toftwood remained in control with Oliver netting another, to make a final score of 5-0 to Toftwood. Purvlk (captain) kept his fourth clean sheet, Alfie and Angus dealt well with everything, the dominant midfield of Jamie and Nathan created the chances for Oliver and Peter, who finished superbly. Leon, Charlie and Matthew slotted in effortlessly. A well-deserved win for the team wearing their new team jackets sponsored by Barrett’s Fitness First of Dereham. MoM: Oliver for his second hat-trick of the season.

TOFTWOOD UNITED U13 played Costessey at a wind-swept Rec. The Toftwood defence of Charlie, Harry T, Aflie and Josh were slow to settle, and keeper’s indecision gifted Costessey the opener. Ryan and Robbie both squandered chances. Sonny’s header forced a great save and Ryan again saw the keeper save. Toftwood levelled through Lewis, who curled his shot in for 1-1. Sam found space and blasted his shot only to see it saved. Toftwood pushed forward second half,Declan causing problems and going close on a number of occasions. From another corner Robbie’s flick-on found Alfie, who buried his shot for 2-1. Toftwood were in control with the defence holding strong, and looked dangerous. Matt, breaking through, saw his goal-bound shot taken wide by the wind. Harry R unlocked the defence for Ryan to finally get on the score sheet for 3-1.