Dereham/Fakenham notes

DEREHAM WANDERERS U11 GIRLS were beaten 4-1 at Norwich City. Dereham went in at the break 0-0 with Charlotte, Hollie and Brogan having a good game from the midfield.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U11 GIRLS were beaten 4-1 at Norwich City. Dereham went in at the break 0-0 with Charlotte, Hollie and Brogan having a good game from the midfield. But straight from the kick-off City scored and midway through the half added a second with a shot from a tight angle. A deflected goal made it 3-0 and Norwich extended their lead from the penalty spot. However, Dereham continued to press forward and pulled one back through Saskia with a strong shot from close to the half-way line high into the Norwich net. Squad: Alice, Saskia, Charlotte, Brogan, Jasmin, Leah, Laura, Hollie. PoM: Charlotte and Saskia.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U13 played host to Norwich City on Saturday knowing that victory would almost certainly guarantee a third successive league title. Dereham's pressure paid off when Lanti rounded the Norwich defence and calmly slotted the ball home. This took some pressure off and Dereham got a second when Lanti fired the ball into the penalty area where Bea applied a brave finish with her midriff. Lanti grabbed a third Dereham goal before half-time. The second half followed a similar pattern. Plenty of Dereham possession and chances but scattered with some good Norwich play. Lanti completed yet another hat-trick with Dereham's fourth goal. Sarah pushed up for a corner and timed her run to perfection with a good connection and the ball flew into the net for her first goal of the season. Bea completed the scoring with another well-taken goal taking her season tally to 27. Final score 6-0.

DEREHAM Wanderers Blues U10 maintained their top spot in the league with a comfortable win over Thetford Indies. The deadlock was broken when an Indies player attempted to clear the ball which struck a Dereham player and rebounded into the net. Dereham went on to score another four goals while the Indies did manage one consolation goal towards the end. Final score Dereham 5, Indies 1. Manager's MoM: Sam. Indies Manager's MoM: Ben.

DEREHAM TOWN U14s took the lead against Norman Wanderers when Parke's deep corner was tucked away at the back post by Williams. Parke's corner was then headed firmly home by Betts. Straight from the kick-off Allen won the ball back for Dereham and arrowed a great pass into the box, which Churchyard finished with a powerful low shot to make the half time score 3-0. In the second half, the ball broke to Williams, who picked out the unmarked Betts to score. Moments later, some hesitancy in the Norman defence allowed Betts to head the ball on to Williams, who got in between the last defender and goalkeeper and nodded home. Williams won a penalty, which he took himself, and fired the ball into the corner. Then with time almost up, Williams pulled the ball back to Upton, who slid in just ahead of the keeper and defender to force the ball in for number seven. Man of the match: Andy Skipper.

FAKENHAM U13 travelled to Hellesdon on Sunday hoping for a much better performance than the previous week. Hellesdon were strong in the first half but weren't able to break through due to great defending. Fakenham had few chances in an even first half with Tom's dribble and high shot being the sole test for the Hellesdon goalie. Martin dribbled past two defenders and crossed the ball which Dan crashed into the net to make it 0-1. Hellesdon piled on the pressure and their height advantage took its toll when they scored from a corner. Fakenham fought back and forced a corner of their own. Martin put in a good ball and Dan shot strongly only to see the ball fly past the post. The final score was 1-1 but a vastly improved performance from Fakenham was very pleasing.

Team: Harrison, Liam, Sam, Dion, Curtis, Tom, Brady, Christian, Dan, Jack, Kyle, Martin, Thomas.

Most Read

LITCHAM U12 travelled to Rocklands for a league fixture looking to build on last week's win. Litcham started well and piled on the pressure but Rocklands hit them on the break with a neat finish to make it 1-0. Litcham went straight back at the opposition but again were undone by some good football to find themselves 2-0 down. Litcham got one back from a corner as Aaron arrived near post to make it 2-1. Litcham's tails were up and got another goal to bring it level at 2-2. Rocklands pressed again and made it 3-2. Litcham responded and made it 3-3. Rocklands retook the lead and at 4-3 down Litcham started to find their normal game to draw level again at 4-4. Man of the match Kai broke through and was carved down in the area only to dust himself down and convert the penalty to make the final score 5-4 to Litcham. Team: Kyle, Brad, Ben, James, Harry, Matthew, Kai (2), Nathan, Alby (1), Aaron (1), Charlie, Titus (1).

DEREHAM WANDERERS U12 GIRLS were playing at home to Swanton Herons in the semi-final of the cup. The visitors started the brightest keeping in the Dereham half and putting the defence of Erren and Chelsea on their toes for the first 15 minutes. Dereham had a corner, taken by Ella which was handled in the area by a defender with the referee pointing to the spot. Rochy stepped up and calmly put the ball in the net. Dereham had a few more chances in the second half with Anna going just wide and Millie hitting the ball well but just over the bar. Cerys and Mary put a couple of good passes together for Rochy to shoot but the goalie saved well. With about a minute to go Swanton got behind the defence and the forward hit the ball well heading in to the top corner but Drew made an excellent save. Final score 1-0 putting the girls into their first final. GoM: Rochy.

FAKENHAM AMBERS U10 went on their travels to Hungate Rovers near Wisbech. The match was played on a muddy pitch and in driving rain. Fakenham dominated from the outset but despite their slick passing moves initially they were unable to score thanks to the Hungate goal posts. Rahul, Tom and Josh marshalled the defence well ensuring that Callum was rarely troubled in goal. Ben's passing provided the springboard for several attacks allowing Reece and Aaron to probe the Hungate defence on the wings. Charlie played particularly well up front and presented many problems to the opposition defenders. Late in the first half Fakenham took a well deserved lead when Ben turned near the top of the box and drove his shot low past the keeper. The Ambers began the second period with purpose and were soon rewarded with a second goal when Charlie scored from close range. Fakenham continued to apply pressure and rattled in three more goals through Aaron and a brace from Charlie to complete his hat-trick. Final score 0-5. Team: Callum, Tom, Rahul, Reece, Josh, Ben, Aaron, Charlie. MoM: Charlie.

FAKENHAM GHOSTS U10 travelled to play Clenchwarton and not having played for two weeks struggled to get going. It came as a surprise when Fakenham took the lead through Jack following good link up play with Ben. The lead was shortlived as the hosts scored two good individual goals. The Ghosts belatedly raised their game but Clenchwarton extended their lead to make it 3-1 at half-time. The second half provided a mixture of determined tackling and good attacking play from both teams. Ben pulled a goal back before Clenchwarton restored their advantage from a cruel deflection following a free kick. Still to their credit the Ghosts pushed on and man of the match Ben scored again to set up a tense finish. Unfortunately they couldn't force an equaliser and conceded a further goal with the last kick of the game to make the final score 5-3. Team Jamie, Travis, Kai, Daniel, Matthew, Jack, Ben.

FAKENHAM U13 travelled to Taverham and started well when a good cross into the box from Kyle nearly found Tom, but went out for an early corner. A long throw in from Taverham found its way past the Fakenham defence and Taverham scored after a one on one with Grant the Fakenham keeper. Fakenham looked brighter towards the end of the first half with Kyle having a couple of shots and Dion having a great shot which was just pushed round the post by the Taverham keeper. Taverham came out confident at the beginning of the second half. Tom managed to head a shot off the line only to see it tucked away to make it 2-0. Dion had a shot from a cross by Hilly but it flew high over the bar and Fakenham were then pushed back with Christian this time heading off the line. Taverham's third goal followed from a good goal kick which was helped on by a Fakenham defender. Fakenham's best chance of a goal came towards the end when Liam made a great run into the box and laid off for Dan, but his shot flew over the bar. The final score was a 3-0 win for Taverham. Team: Grant, Liam, Harrison, Sam, Tom, Christian, Dion, Jack, Kyle, Daniel, Thomas, Curtis, Brady, Martin.

SCARNING UNITED have announced their first school holiday football festival on Tuesday April 6 and Wednesday April 7, open to boys and girls of all ages and abilities. This festival of football fun will be headed by former Norwich City Academy coach Simon Johnston. Players will be set tasks to solve, learn basic techniques and skills and make new friends and enjoy a variety of games including a mini World Cup tournament in a relaxed and fun environment. The days run from 10am to 3pm at a cost of �15 per child for the two days inclusive. Family bookings will obtain a discounted rate, call Chris Sait on 07901 524658. An early drop off is available from 8am and late pick up to 5.30pm. Cost for either is �3 additional, with a cost of �5 for both. Booking is essential as places are limited, payment can be made at registration on arrival.