Dereham hit rivals for six
Dereham Wanderers U13 Girls 6, Costessey Sports 1Dereham Wanderers U13 Girls hosted Costessey Sports knowing that with their rivals Taverham not playing it was a perfect opportunity to go back to the top of the league.
Dereham Wanderers U13 Girls 6, Costessey Sports 1
Dereham Wanderers U13 Girls hosted Costessey Sports knowing that with their rivals Taverham not playing it was a perfect opportunity to go back to the top of the league.
However, Dereham were caught sleeping early on as the Costessey striker collected the ball ran straight between two defenders and scored past Chantelle to put the visitors ahead.
Dereham were sluggish and were second to the ball so the manager decided to make some early changes and bought on Lonny, Joy and Merrick, reshaped the line up and things improved from then.
You may also want to watch:
A controversial goal was awarded after Georgie's shot was parried by the goalkeeper who let out an exasperated 'oh no'! which indicated to the ref that the ball had crossed the line and the goal was awarded.
With the score now level and Costessey frustrated Dereham started to crank up the pressure, another fumble by the Costessey keeper almost led to another goal but this time she managed to keep it from crossing the line.
- 1 Farke fears Krul out for weeks
- 2 Excitement mounts ahead of proposed return for Norwich City at Luton
- 3 Paddy’s Pointers: Five observations from Norwich City’s eventful 3-2 Championship win against Stoke City
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Norwich City player ratings after a 3-2 Championship victory at Stoke City
- 5 ‘Norwich is a cracking club’ - Warnock explains why Boro couldn’t sign Gibson
- 6 'We complement each other quite nicely' - Gibson on growing partnership with Hanley
- 7 Stoke City 2-3 Norwich City: Buendia red card, Krul injury but Canaries stay top of the Championship
- 8 City defender Gibson hopes win over Stoke will silence the critics
- 9 Welcome to our new website
- 10 Connor Southwell: There's plenty to admire about Norwich City's response to relegation
With emotions starting to run high, Dereham took the lead when Merrick's shot found a way past the keeper.
The game was being closely contested with both sets of players putting in plenty of effort and determination and it was Dereham who got an important third goal when Lanti found the net to give the home side a 3-1 half-time lead.
Dereham started the second half very strongly and created several chances. The fourth Dereham goal was scored by Lanti and was greeted with much relief as it put some breathing space between the two teams and made for a more comfortable final 20 minutes.
Merrick marked her return after injury with a goal to make it 5-1.
The scoring was completed when Lanti got another hat-trick, her third consecutive one, to make it 6-1. The score line flattered Dereham a little as Costessey had battled bravely throughout.
The manager's player of the week was a tough decision again, Lonny had played exceptionally well, Lanti had her hat-trick but it was Becka that edged it with a great energetic display, playing both midfield and defence.