Dereham’s unbeaten record comes to an end
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham Town suffered their first defeat of the new season after a last-minute goal at Aldiss Park.
It was a tale of missed opportunities for Neal Simmons’ team, who went into the game on the back of four league and two cup wins in a row.
Home striker Ryan Crisp almost caught out visiting keeper Thomas Coulton in the opening minutes with a first-time long-range effort.
The Magpies then had a good penalty appeal turned down when Danny Beaumont was upended. Dereham continued to press, but Ware’s Elliott Charles had a header saved by Elliot Pride and the rebound blocked by Steve Taylor.
The visitors took the lead against the run of play when Elliot Charles rose well at the near post to head home in the 41st minute.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham almost replied immediately with Rhys Logan travelling deep inside the Ware box before having his effort blocked. On half time Sam Dodden’s close-range effort was saved by the keeper.
Dereham equalised in the 65th minute – and there was a touch of fortune about it. Having won a free-kick just inside the Ware half on the left, Steve Taylor’s long ball slipped through Coulton’s hands and into his unguarded net.
- 1 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 2 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 3 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 4 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 8 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 9 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 10 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
Minutes later the keeper redeemed himself by making a great save to keep out Dion Frary’s powerful 30-yarder.
Beaumont delivered two dangerous free-kicks into the visitors’ box and with two minutes to go Frary’s close-range left-foot shot deflected straight into Coulton’s arms.
Then came the blow as Ware grabbed the winner when Yannick Kamanan guided home Murat Karagul’s ball from the left byline – although there was still time for Beaumont to go close, just failing to steer home Sam Garner’s cross.
Dereham: Pride, Garner, Taylor, Linford, Eastoe-Smith, Castellan, Logan, Frary, Crisp (Dodden 25), Anema, Beaumont. Subs: Ebbage, Lindred, Murphy, Bean.
Ware: Coulton, Madden, Oujdi, Hervel (Mohammed 67), Milner, White, Karagul, Conteh, Kamanan, Robins, Charles (Madu 67). Subs not used: Dobson, Josephs.
Ref: C Reeson.