Dereham Town 2 AFC Sudbury 0: Second-half goals seal third win in a row for Magpies
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham made it three league wins on the trot for new boss Neal Simmons with a good performance at Aldiss Park.
And the fourth-placed Magpies could be top of the table tonight – if they come away with something from Norwich United in the bank holiday derby and other results go their way.
Danny Beaumont gave early notice of their intentions when he hit a dipping volley over the bar in the eighth minute.
The Magpies were dealt a blow when Jamie Forshaw had to be replaced by Owen Murphy, but they won a free-kick 30 yards out on the left and Beaumont’s delivery was deflected inches wide. Another free kick from the exact same position saw Sudbury keeper Paul Walker make a fine save to keep out Beaumont’s goalbound curler.
Sudbury were denied an opener in the 34th minute when keeper Elliot Pride made a fine double save to keep out close-range efforts by David Cowley and Adam Mills. Dereham immediately missed a great chance with Murphy putting Ashley Jarvis clean through, but keeper Walker got down to save his low drive.
You may also want to watch:
Three times Jay Eastoe-Smith thwarted Sudbury attacks with solid defending as the half finished goalless.
Dereham made the breakthrough in the 52nd minute. Rhys Logan was given space to speed down the left and after reaching the byline his ball to the near post was neatly guided home by Ashley Jarvis.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 6 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 7 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 8 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 9 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 10 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
In the 69th minute Sudbury defender Julian Smith upended Logan in the box near the left byline. After awarding a penalty the referee harshly gave the visiting defender a straight red card. Beaumont confidently despatched the spot kick to put Dereham two up in the 70th minute.
Dereham: Pride, Garner, Taylor, Linford, Eastoe-Smith, Ebbage, Logan, Hinton, Jarvis, Forshaw (Murphy 9, Dodden 72), Beaumont. Subs not used: Bibby, Kindred, Bean.
AFC Sudbury: Walker, Newman, Mills, Kemanzi, Smith, French, Allen, Turner, Menga (McKenzie 70), Henry (Clarke 79), Cowley.
Subs not used: Mills, Dunlop, Collins.
Ref: D Hutton. Att: 211