Dip in form proves costly for Bertrand
Ryan Bertrand and Dejan Stefanovic were surprise absentees from the Canaries defence at the weekend - one dropped and one rested. Bertrand, on loan from Chelsea, was replaced by the experienced Adam Drury at left back, while Stefanovic's place in the centre was taken by Gary Doherty.
Ryan Bertrand and Dejan Stefanovic were surprise absentees from the Canaries defence at the weekend - one dropped and one rested.
Bertrand, on loan from Chelsea, was replaced by the experienced Adam Drury at left back, while Stefanovic's place in the centre was taken by Gary Doherty.
“Dejan was feeling the effects of a hard couple of weeks and it made sense to me,” explained City boss Glenn Roider. “Doc was fresh after having break. John Kennedy had had a little break as well and it made sense to give him a chance to recuperate and make sure he is fully fit for next week.”
Antoine Sibierski - like Stefanovic, a 34-year-old - missed out because of injury, but it was poor form which cost the 19-year-old Bertrand his place.
You may also want to watch:
“Sibby is another one who was carrying two or there knocks,” Roeder added. “We did it with Dion (Dublin), who is a few years older, last year. You can't expect these players to go Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday continually through a long season and Doc has never let us down. He is generally speaking reliable and it was an opportunity to give Dejan a breather if you want.
“I don't think Ryan has been at his best the last couple of games. He has set his standards so high and I am absolutely convinced that when we look back on his career it will have been played mainly in the Premiership - whether it is at Chelsea or not I don't know yet, but I do think he is a Premiership player. He's 19 years old and at times he has been absolutely outstanding for us at Norwich but I felt the last couple of games he hasn't been quite himself and it's good that you have a player of Adam's experience and quality and that you can give a 19-year-old a breather and that's what I've done with Ryan. Adam came in and he didn't let anyone down, which I wouldn't have expected him to anyway.”
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion