Diss and Ely must replay Vase tie
Diss Town 2, Ely City 2 (aet): Ridgeons League Division One Diss Town and Premier Division Ely City must meet again on Tuesday to decide who has a home first round FA Carlsberg Vase tie against Eynesbury Rovers on October 3.
Diss Town 2, Ely City 2 (aet)
Ridgeons League Division One Diss Town and Premier Division Ely City must meet again on Tuesday to decide who has a home first round FA Carlsberg Vase tie against Eynesbury Rovers on October 3.
Diss manager Rob Taylor had already lost from his squad goalkeeper Matty Hill due to suspension and George Watts-Sturrock, Sam Bryant and Ben Soanes to injury.
He received another blow in the 15th minute when Matt Webster was taken to hospital with a suspected fractured cheek bone and Mark Camidge, who had planned to retire at the end of last season, was thrust into the goalkeeping duties.
You may also want to watch:
Both teams scored within a minute of each other just before half time. Stuart Garner hit a fine left foot shot to put The Tangerines ahead but his effort was cancelled out by Nick Impey.
Ely took the lead midway through the second half with a goal that seemed certain to win the game.
- 1 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us
- 2 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 3 Farke plots Leeds fightback after Chelsea debacle
- 4 PODCAST: Horror show at Chelsea piles pressure on City chiefs
- 5 Six things you might have missed during City's capitulation at Chelsea
- 6 'There's a truth inside that dressing room' - City skipper calls for unity
- 7 ‘Men against boys’ - Pundits batter City for awful effort at Chelsea
- 8 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 9 Farke on Cantwell Chelsea absence
- 10 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' abject 7-0 Chelsea defeat
However, a superb shot from Xavier Huckle, taking his total to six goals in the last three games, in added time took the match to extra time. There were no goals in extra time.
Diss team: Matt Webster, Stuart Jenkinson, Stuart Garner, Christian Money, Brendan Foley, Jason Hunt, Peter Hooks, Jake Burton, Paul Nichols, Xavier Huckle, Steve Wright.
Diss subs: Simon Jackson, Mark Shadrack (for Burton), Johnny King (for Hooks) and Mark Camidge (for Webster).
Ely team: Lee Pacey, Iain Salt, Jamie Alsop, Tony Brown, Brady Stone, Tom Pell, Tony Beck, Wayne Goddard, Nick Impey, Grant Robins, Adam Dolby.
Ely subs: Richard Chadwick, Stephen Bell and Chris Sterecki.
Referee: Mal McIntyre (King's Lynn).
Match Sponsor: Dallas and Martin Associates of Hopton.
Match Sponsor's Diss Man of the Match: Brendan Foley.