Diss inflict rare defeat on Clacton
Diss Town 2 F C Clacton 0Diss Town inflicted a first defeat on FC Clacton since early October. The Essex side had won their previous eight league games and remain as favourites to take the final promotion slot behind Brantham Athletic and Great Yarmouth.
Diss Town 2, FC Clacton 0
Diss left FC Clacton's long unbeaten record in tatters as they inflicted a first league defeat since October on the Essex side.
Clacton had won their previous eight Ridgeons First Division games and remain as favourites to take the final promotion slot behind Brantham Athletic and Great Yarmouth.
Diss have played six more games than Clacton and this well-deserved win may give others, rather than themselves, the chance to catch Clacton.
The Tangerines had most of the first-half attacking play and took the lead in the 12th minute when a free-kick from Stuart Garner was headed across at the far post by Brendan Foley for Luke Catchpole to shoot in from five yards out.
Two minutes later a header from Andy Moody was snatched by Gould as Garner sent another teasing centre into the danger area.
- 1 Ex-Norwich City striker set for 10-match ban
- 2 BLACKPOOL 0 CANARIES 1 - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 3 Smith takeaways: Purple patch; classy Nunez, predatory Pukki; Cantwell absence
- 4 'A front line to be jealous about' - Appleton's verdict on Norwich City
- 5 STARTING XIs: Hernandez replaces Sara for Blackpool trip
- 6 Bullish Smith puts City rivals on notice
- 7 Smith's 'pride' at Canaries' reset
- 8 City boss looking for more Blackpool thrills and spills
- 9 Follow live updates of Blackpool v Norwich City
- 10 Spud Thornhill: 'Ken still gives every single person his time to chat to them'
George Watts-Sturrock was on target with a 30-yard shot in the 47th minute which sent Gould diving low to his right to parry after a cross from Garner was headed out.
Clacton then created several chances. Mark White headed wide from 18 yards out with the goal gaping after confusion between Garner and Ally McAnally in the 50th minute.
Three minutes later a Matt Waters free-kick flicked off the defensive wall and from the corner Catchpole did well to head off the line. Foley was next to clear off the line to a bouncing James Dunkley header.
In the closing stages Diss took the ball to the corners to try to absorb time.
In injury time, Garner's cross was headed out to Catchpole whose shot was deflected and Gould's attempts to block with his feet failed to stop the ball trickling over the line.
Diss: McAnally, Shadrack, Garner, Jackson, Foley, Watts-Sturrock, Huckle, Catchpole, Wynne, Abbott, Moody. Subs: Rocastle, Adams, Kirkby, Jenkinson (for Wynne 76), Crawshaw.