Diss leapfrogged by winning Whitton
Diss Town 0, Whitton United 2
Whitton United beat Diss Town as the third and fourth placed teams met at Brewers Green Lane. Whitton moved into 3rd placed with Diss now having their sights set on leaders Cambridge University Press, five points adrift with two games in hand, as they look to secure a top three finish.
Jon Abbott and Luke Catchpole returned to the Diss team after suspension. Goalkeeper Danny Lloyd and Stefan Gilding were also available after missing the midweek defeat at Gorleston.
There were few chances in the first half. Luke Catchpole and Jon Abbott were just wide with shots for Diss with Darcy De’ath close at the other end.
Whitton took the lead in the 79th minute when a corner from Anton Clarke was headed in by De’ath. Diss thought that they had gained a penalty kick when Danny Partridge went down but the referee ruled that he had dived. Partridge, two Whitton defenders and goalkeeper James waters collided.
You may also want to watch:
The visiting goalkeeper was forced off with an injury. This seemed to give The Tangerines ten minutes to rescue a pint. However, deep in added time De’ath made it 2-0 with a well struck free kick.
Diss team: Danny Lloyd, Jonny King, Stuart Garner, Mark Shadrack, Stefan Gilding, Craig Skipp, Tom Deller, Luke Catchpole, Danny Wynne, Jon Abbott, Sam Bryant.
- 1 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 2 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 3 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 4 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 5 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 8 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 9 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 10 City U23s held 2-2 against Burnley's U23s
Diss subs: Lee Broomfield (for Wynne), Tom Bryant, Andy Moody, Danny Partridge (for Deller) and Jordan Rocastle (for Skipp).
Match Sponsor: Martin and Dallas Accountancy Limited.