Diss Mercury area notes

SCOLE GIRLS U15 started their game against Norwich in atrocious conditions with Scole kicking into the wind and they struggled to get the ball out of their half.

SCOLE GIRLS U15 started their game against Norwich in atrocious conditions with Scole kicking into the wind and they struggled to get the ball out of their half. Norwich took full advantage and score four times without reply leaving Scole happy to h the half-time whistle. However, with the weather clearing Scole started the second half looking like a different side and immediately put Norwich under pressure. From a corner Rachael Wall crashed a header against a post but Scole managed to pull a goal back when Bea Blazak's shot beat the keeper to reduce the arrears. Nad Elliott then narrowly missed with a couple of chances including hitting a post before good Scole pressure resulted in a Norwich defender putting the ball into her own net. Scole kept pushing hard and hit the woodwork for a third time but just couldn't make their chances count and ended up losing a game from which they could easily have got something.

LONG STRATTON U13 beat second in the table Union Athletic 8-3. Brendan Edwards scored four and Wayne Bemrose three with Aidan Hilton scoring the other goal. Ben Clark, Spencer Bloomfield and MoM Jack Grimsley had superb games for Stratton in what was a second successive league win on the road.

DISS TOWN U10 TIGERS were unlucky not to get their first league win of the season when they played Dereham Stags at home. In the first half Diss played well, having several shots, with the first goal scored by Town's Alfie Parry. Despite excellent defensive efforts from Kyle Warren, Samuel Seymour-Blackburn and goalie Joshua Musk, Diss conceded two goals. Town played Dan Wilby and Scott Catchpole forward for the first time and they, along with the rest of the team, kept battling until the final whistle.

DISS U8 recorded their first win of the season with an impressive result in testing weather conditions. A superb hat-trick by Aidan Browne, scoring two goals in the first half and a long-range effort in the second half, sealed a comfortable victory. Nathan Channell was unlucky with an effort that hit a post in the second half. There were impressive performances by Harry Holmes up front, Bradley Budd in defence and goalkeeper Kyle Bullingham who made some excellent saves to also give Diss their first clean sheet of the season.

EYE SAINTS U13 strolled through to the cup quarter-finals with a convincing 9-0 home win against Sizewell. Saints scored early through Joe Hooton, who scored again after eight minutes to make it 2-0. Ryan Newton scored the third and a penalty from Reuben Martindale put Saints in command. Another penalty by Tanner Call made it 5-0, and just before half-time Newton scored his second. In the second half Saints kept the pressure on when Call scored his second and minutes later Hooton completed his hat-trick. In the dying minutes Call completed his hat-trick to make it 9-0 and seal a comfortable Saints win. Man-of-the-match: Charlie Brown for his attacking play down the right flank.

EYE SAINTS U15 played in gale- force winds, heavy rain, hailstones and were without any subs - this was going to be an uphill struggle, especially after going 2-0 down not long into the match. But their heads never dropped, and Saints were rewarded with a superb goal from Luke Martin. Framlingham then went 3-1 up, but it was not long before Luke netted his second. With the sun out, Saints started to shine with full-backs Kyle Cox, Steven Dyer and centre-backs Brandon Mason and Mathew Noble outstanding, keeping out everything Framlingham threw at them, with Ben Taylor solid in goal. The midfield of Kieran Cox, Hayden Crispin and George Twyman kept things solid in the middle of the park, and it wasn't long before fellow midfielder Luke netted his hat-trick. Forwards Charlie Watts and Macauley Spurling kept the Framlingham defence under pressure, but it was Luke who could not stop scoring - one from a long-range free-kick and one straight from a corner. The game was all over when Luke scored his, and the Saints', sixth goal of the game. An excellent performance all round, but MoM must go to Luke Martin for a superb display and scoring all six goals.

Most Read

HARLESTON U12 hosted Newton Flotman and gained a comprehensive victory against a spirited Newton Flotman team. After a few anxious moments when the visitors should have taken the lead, Harleston took the lead through Harvey Clarke after good work from Ryan Shadbolt. Shadbolt doubled the lead moments later. Captain Brandon Pickess fired home a third from inside the box. Tom Girling added a fourth direct from a corner before slotting home a fifth as Harleston began to run riot. Harleston continued to press forward passing the ball well and running the visitors ragged. Brandon Pickess rifled into the top corner to make the half time score 6-0. The second half saw Harleston begin to get greedy in front of goal and had to settle for only one more goal, a fine lob from Ryan Shadbolt. Newton Flotman scored a late consolation to make the final score 7-1. Brannigan Harvey claimed man-of-the-match for a fine display in midfield, his best performance in a Harleston shirt.

HARLESTON U9 played Waveney FC for the second week running. With home advantage Harleston set out with a set game plan in mind, to keep their shots low and try and beat the exceptional Waveney keeper. From the off, Harleston had Waveney under pressure with some good football in the middle of the park from J Ling and F Boreham leading to H Warner opening the scoring with a low shot into the corner. Harleston's defence were caught napping soon after and needed B Marjoram to come off his line smothering the ball and denying Waveney a certain goal. Again the midfield combination of F Boreham and J Ling released H Warner to slot home Harleston's second. From the kick-off Waveney put Harleston under even more pressure but B Marjoram in goal was not going to be beaten, this time charging off his line to deny Waveney a goal. Before half-time Harleston had taken a 3-0 lead with H Warner getting his hat-trick. From the kick-off Waveney put Harleston under pressure pulling a goal back. With the score at 3-1 Harleston gave the perfect response with some excellent football in the middle of the park. J Ling and F Boreham combining again to release H Warner to slot home his and Harleston's fourth. With excellent performances from B Marjoram, F Boreham, J Ling and H Warner it was a difficult decision to name man-of-the-match. With a cool finish to give Harleston a deserved 5-1 win, Jack Ling was named MoM.

HARLESTON YFC U14 travelled to Gorleston for this rearranged cup fixture and came away with a 3-2 defeat. One down after 10 minutes Harleston soon found an equaliser when a long-range effort was parried by the home keeper only for Harvey Hodd to knock in the rebound. Gorleston retook the lead and added another just before the break. As in recent weeks Harleston seem to be a second-half team and showed a lot more fighting spirit in the second half. Lewis Taylor was on hand to knock a corner in at the far post but Harleston just could not find a leveller to send the game into extra-time. MoM: Lewis Taylor.

LONG STRATTON U10 put on their best display so far with a 4-0 win away at Kirkley and Pakefield. H Nye put Stratton one up after six minutes with another fine headed goal. G Hilton played some lovely lay-offs with his back to goal but through no lack of effort the Reds went in just one-up at half-time. It took a further 10 minutes of the second half for the Reds to break Kirkley down, with another goal from J Bemrose and then at four-minute intervals Z Sawyer bagged himself a brace. Another win, a clean sheet for the ever-present defensive line and some great football with Stratton especially enjoying the space they found on the wings. GLS MoM: B Whiting.

SCOLE U13 played a good Norwich United team on a wet, heavy and big pitch. Scole opened the scoring when Jake Snowling headed in from a corner. In the second half Scole scored further goals from Oscar Marshall, two excellent finishes from man-of-the-match Charlie Deakin and Nathan Locke putting the ball in the top corner from 35 yards.