Diss Mercury area notes

BECKVALE beat Long Stratton 5-1. With three late call-offs Beckvale started this local derby with only nine players against a full-strength Long Stratton team who were keen to put right the 6-1 defeat at home earlier in the season.

BECKVALE beat Long Stratton 5-1. With three late call-offs Beckvale started this local derby with only nine players against a full-strength Long Stratton team who were keen to put right the 6-1 defeat at home earlier in the season. With the home team knowing they had to all give an extra 20 percent to make the numbers up, they gradually found their foothold in the game and went 1-0 up with a clinical Harvey strike. Oakely who impresses week in week out with his cool, calm, collective displays was soon on the scoresheet, making it 2-0 for the home team. Bartram man of the match was doing a double shift in midfield, and was all over Stratton in the middle of the park, not allowing the visitors time to settle into their normal passing game. The first half ended 3-1 with Evans scoring for the home side before the visitors scored a fortunate goal just before the break. Stratton started the second half strongly, attacking from the re-start, Beckvale stood strong and battled toe to toe against their numerical superiors. The teamwork and 'bust a gut' attitude from the home team was rewarded when the final whistle went at 5-1. A special mention to Foster, Wellar, Homer, and Wales who all had outstanding games, and to Flood also who played well in his first game for the club. Beckvale entertain Gorleston on Sunday, November 8 at 11am kick off which should decide the league title.

SCOLE GIRLS U12 faced top of the league Bohemians and lost 3-0. After a heavy defeat last season they knew this would be a tough game. For the majority of the game Scole battled hard but got few chances to take the lead. Two quick breaks by Bohemians allowed them to take the lead. The second half saw similar play but unfortunately Bohemians were able to net another. Despite the loss, the scoreline demonstrates the progress that the Scole girls have made since last season. PoM: Georgia Edwards for very solid and consistent work in defence.

SCOLE GIRLS U15 lost to visitors Bohemians 4-1. On a damp pitch, Scole just couldn't seem to get going with Bohemians scoring goals at regular intervals to lead 3-0 at half-time. Scole started the second half with a little more determination and mid-way through they pulled a goal back when Racheal Wall shot home to earn herself girl-of-the-game honours. However Bohemians scored again near the end to maintain their three- goal cushion and although Scole tried hard they were simply beaten by a better side.

DISS TOWN U10 HAWKS played Thorpe. Diss made the early running but were unable to capitalise on their chances. As Thorpe came into the match, MoM William Aitken made some great saves and Steven Hines made a brilliant goal-line clearance to keep the match goalless at half-time. The Hawks upped the tempo in the second half and were rewarded when Lawrence Brown headed home from a corner; Josh Lucraft scored on the turn to double the lead. Thorpe pulled a goal back but Diss had more chances, including a free-kick against the bar, and ran out 2-1 winners.

DISS TOWN U10 HAWKS played Spixworth. Diss took an early lead when Jamie Channell pounced on a long ball to score. Spixworth equalised from a defensive mix-up but Sam Hunt restored the lead before half-time with a great drive and added a third early in the second half from a tight angle. Ben Mills marshalled the defence very calmly and MoM Scott Wilby worked tirelessly in midfield. Diss made numerous chances, with Will Smith seeing several long-range shots well saved. Spixworth scored a second near the end but Diss were good value for a 3-2 victory.

DISS U9 travelled to Framlingham for a friendly against a previously unbeaten side. Two late call-offs meant the squad only had eight players, two of whom were suffering from heavy colds. From the start the hosts pushed forward, and although under immense pressure, Charlie Bowen, Dane Potter and Alex Chittock performed well. Josh Lucraft and Cameron Rossell linked well up front to keep the Framlingham defenders on their toes, but the hosts eventually proved too strong and scored at regular intervals. Diss star man on the day was keeper Owen Thompson-Browne, who made several outstanding saves. Final score: Framlingham 9 Diss 0.

Most Read

HARLESTON U13 were away to Swindel who were one place above them in the table. All the pressure for the first few minutes was from Harleston but this didn't stop Swindel going 1-0 up on the break. The boys soon picked up the tempo and got back on level terms from A Burlton and then W Coleman quickly followed it up for Harleston to take the lead. Yet again the home team got back on level terms but with Burlton, Coleman and J Lewis all grabbing a goal each before the break it looked like things were swinging in Harleston's favour. After the interval Swindel got another goal but this was soon cancelled out by Burlton with his third for a hat-trick. Despite some controversial refereeing decisions Harleston managed to come away 6-3 victors. MoM: A Ward though the whole team did well in a very heated game.

HARLESTON U9 entertained Freethorpe at home this week hoping to keep their 100 percent record intact - and they did so with a 5-1 win. Again from the off Harleston came at Freethorpe, not letting them settle. Henry Warner opened the scoring for Harleston after some good early pressure. The first-half performance from the Harleston team saw them outplay Freethorpe with some excellent football. Kieran Harvey went close, hitting a post with a left-foot drive. Good solid defending by C Wells, J Lester, S Fawcett and H Robson ensured that Harleston didn't concede in the first half. J Ling and F Boreham never stopped running in the midfield, helping H Warner to finish the half with another four goals giving Harleston a 5-0 lead. Harleston took their foot off the pedal in the second half and allowed Freethorpe to come at them leading to the visitors pulling a goal back. Harleston needed B Marjoram in goal to stop the away side pulling back another goal when he came sliding out to smother the ball and stop what would have been a certain goal. A very impressive start to the season from Harleston finishing the game 5-1 winners with Henry Warner picking up the MoM award.

HARLESTON U10 beat Kirkley & Pakefield F 6-0. Luke Williams rifled home early on to give his side the lead. Midway through the half they doubled the lead when Dan Elgood ran from halfway before slotting past the keeper. Johnny Middleton volleyed in a third before he added a fourth from distance to make the half time score 4-0 to the home side. In the second half, Harleston continued to press and Jordan Dexter scored his first of the season calmly slotting home after making space for himself in the box. Just before the end, new signing Joel Mayhew scored a sixth after good work from Jordan Dexter. A good win and performance with Dan Elgood winning the MoM award for a non-stop display of skill and running.

HARLESTON U12 thrashed Shrublands 9-2 despite not being at their best. After a good start in which Harvey Clarke scored, followed moments later by a Josh Bailey strike from the edge of the box. As in recent weeks Harleston allowed the visitors back into the game. They soon regained their two-goal advantage through Ryan Shadbolt. Again the visitors pulled a goal back. A near-post header from Brandon Pickess and another from Harvey Clarke made the half time score 5-2. Harleston then pulled away with Morgan Robinson slamming home a penalty and a second from Ryan Shadbolt. Brandon Pickess headed an eighth before Ollie Farmer coolly slotted a ninth before the final whistle. Josh Bailey claimed the MoM award for a tireless display of running in his first game of the season.

LONG STRATTON U10 went two up at half time against Burnt Hill, with W Gosling scoring his first goal for the club. A big goal-kick from keeper K Locke saw the bounce beat the Burnt Hill stopper and J Bemrose was first to it for a fine headed goal, one which he deserved after earlier missing a penalty. Burnt Hill were on top for much of the second half, bagging an early goal only for J Bemrose to pop up for his second to put Stratton 3-1 up. The mini-reds continued to soak up the pressure, only for the home team to be gifted a goal from the referee, with the ball being kicked out of the keeper's hands. The lads did well to see the game out to a 3-2 win and another three points. MoM: W Gosling.

SCOLE LADS U10 drew 1-1 with Horsford. Scole had the best of the possession, however a tendency to hang onto the ball too long meant too many attacks went to waste. Scole went ahead with a clever ball from MoM Charlie Hitch to Lewis Burrows who finished neatly. Scole were now passing the ball well and should have doubled their advantage through a succession of corners. The Scole defence was caught napping with one attacker beating three defenders who finished well. Jo Baker bravely saved at the feet of an attacker and Daniel Whyman made an excellent clearance. Scole could have taken the points when a good run from Kieran Manning wasn't matched by the finish.

SCOLE LADS beat Old Catton 1-0 but made heavy going of the game. Oliver Boardman defended coolly in a half of few chances. MoM Matt Perry was quickly out to save with his feet when left one-on-one at the back. In the second half a persistent run from Thomas Brown won a corner which Charlie Hitch swung straight into the roof of the net.

Perry tipped over a shot and then some poor defending from Scole should have been punished when they repeatedly failed to clear their lines, however, somehow the lead remained intact. A narrow win for Scole, making up for undeservedly dropping their first points in the earlier game.

SCOLE U11 lost to Hellesdon 7-0. This game turned out to be a very disappointing performance from Scole. Initially for the first ten minutes Scole kept the sheet clean but their focus soon evaporated and Hellesdon were allowed to score four goals in the remaining first half. In the second half Scole still seemed to struggle to keep possession of the ball and to put together an attack on the opposition. Hellesdon consequently scored three more goals. Towards the end of the second half Harry Ready saved from the penalty spot - but there was little to shout about from this game. MoM: Reece Lanchester for a good effort in defence.

SCOLE LADS U12 beat Dereham Wanderers 10-3. After a slow start Gregor Shipperlee put Scole 1-0 up with a shot over the goalkeeper's head. DW Reds instantly replied, hotly followed by a goal from Jake Logan only to be matched by DW Reds 2-2. Jack Payne made it 3-2 with a lovely goal, repeated a while later 4-2. Scole's defence, plucked up courage and got the measure of DW Reds' exceptionally large forward, only allowing them to score once more. The second half saw Alan Everett score twice 6-2, and Logan, Payne, Matt Monkhouse and Shipperlee once more, to give the final score of 10-3. Scole passed well and made their goal opportunities count. The defence was strong most of the time, confidently regaining possession to keep Scole in control. MoM: Alan Everett. Managers player: Matt Monkhouse.

SCOLE U13 beat Salhouse 4-0. Having beaten the same team 9-0 the previous week, Scole thought it was going to be an easy game and didn't play to their full potential. Aiden Shaen-Carter scored the first goal, running through and finishing well and Joe Read played a brilliant through-ball to Nathan Locke for the second. In the second half, Sam Baker came out of goal and set up Aiden for his second and Charlie Deakin scored with a lob from outside the area to make it 4-0. The lads let themselves down in front of goal, and with more composure could have had a lot more goals.

SCOLE LADS U18 lost to Stowupland 6-1. An abysmal performance from Scole saw them lose to their closest rivals by a big margin. Scole never got out of the starting gates and were 2-0 down within five minutes following some poor defensive work from front to back. Three further goals followed before half-time with Scole struggling to get close to their opponents when they had the ball. Scole did threaten in their own right but lacked the conviction to trouble the keeper. A better performance in the second period losing one further goal before Ed Lake got a late consolation effort for the visitors. MoM, and perhaps the only player to come out with any real credit, was Will Royal. Scole need to raise their game if they are to get anything out of this league now.