Diss Mercury area notes

DISS U9 had a pair of home fixtures against Blofield and Rocklands. In game one, illness to the regular keeper saw Connor Blake take the gloves and he had a very busy day.

DISS U9 had a pair of home fixtures against Blofield and Rocklands. In game one, illness to the regular keeper saw Connor Blake take the gloves and he had a very busy day. From the off in truth most of the Diss youngsters displayed a complete lack of desire to compete for the ball as Blofield ran the game. Kieran Allen displayed his usual commitment and with timely Alex Chittock tackles they tried to stem the constant flow. The first half highlight was a blistering double save by Connor Blake among many he made. After a frank half-time team talk, with Diss already several goals down, the always hardworking Josh Lucraft assisted lively Jack Burrows to nick a consolation. Final score Diss 1, Blofield 8.

DISS U9 had a second game against Rocklands and the workrate was much improved with Dane Potter tackling well in defence. Charlie Bowen had at this stage taken over keeper duties and he made some decent stops plus got midfielders Cameron Rossell and Robert Jestico into the game with good clearances. Some decent passing late on in the game saw Ryan Hook given a couple of half-chances which just went wide but, in truth, absence of tackling in the first half was again their undoing, Final score: Diss 0, Rocklands 3.

SCOLE GIRLS U10 beat Waveney Girls 5-1. A fine performance by all members of the team lead to a good win. Scole had many chances to score in the first half and Leah Constance opened the scoring followed by Anoushka Williamson who was unlucky not to get her hat-trick after scoring in the second half too. Scole's top goalscorer Emily Logan added two more well-taken goals to her total. A solid performance in defence by Olivia Davey, Katie Barrett and Carla Lummis kept the score 3-0 at half time. Waveney had some chances in the second half and hit the woodwork twice but some fine saves from goalkeeper Emma Rogers, who was player of the match, denied the visitors a higher total than the one late goal they scored.

SCOLE U15 GIRLS started the game very slowly and soon found themselves a goal down against a positive Jex Rangers side who were playing with a lot of confidence. Jex created several more chances and it was no surprise when they increased their lead with a good strike. Scole steadied the ship and did well to reach half-time without conceding any more goals. This led to a big talking to by manager Phillip Edwards and whatever he said worked because Scole started the second half like a new team and they reduced the arrears when Rachael Wall powerfully headed home a Vic Owen corner. The equaliser came when a Jex defender turned the ball into their own net from a corner. It was one-way traffic now and Scole took the lead when Rachael broke free from the Jex defence and confidently fired home. Jex struggling to get out of their own half. Scole increased the lead when, from another corner, Bea Blazak shot goalwards and Rachael completed her hat-trick. This was a great result by Scole and all the girls can be proud of the way they turned the game around.

DISS TOWN U10 TIGERS were disappointed not to get another league win away at Weeting. Both teams had some good attacking play in the first quarter but Weeting were rewarded for their efforts with two goals. The home team scored twice more in the third quarter but eventually Town's persistence paid off with a goal from Josh Cook. In the last quarter Weeting scored two further goals and Town's Samuel Seymour-Blackburn's long-range shot went in the net. Credit must go to Diss goalkeeper Joshua Musk who made several fine saves. Final score: Weeting 6, Diss Town U10 Tigers 2.

DISS U18 lost to visitors Debenham Leisure Centre 7-0. Jamie Cole scored five goals as Debenham U18 went on a second-half goal spree to record a league double against a Diss team which had looked competitive for the first 45 minutes. Josh Witherdean was inches wide with a 35 yard shot for the visitors and Jake McDowall shot into the side netting after a Dawid Kawa centre was punched out. Debenham counter attacked and took the lead when Jamie Cole floated the ball into the net from the corner of the penalty area. Sam Chilvers made a good save to turn away a shot from McDowall after Amar Cohodar won the ball and played the ball to his right. Cole came close to a second goal before the break with a shot just wide and a header tipped over by Joe Marriott. The player closest to a Diss equaliser was Jay Rose heading narrowly over to a McDowall corner. Cole cut out a poor back pass and scored his second goal. Marriott made a fine save to keep out a shot from Cole. However, confusion with a defender meant that the loose ball was crossed for Cole to complete his hat-trick from five yards out. Kiefer Bultitude for Debenham and Jack Bell for Diss came close to goals in a game which suggested there were plenty more goals to come. A through ball seemed destined to reach the perfect run of Cole but in trying to make an interception Ed Lake could only divert the ball past Marriott for an own goal. A minute later Cole beat Marriott to a pass from Alex Seaman and toe poke the ball in to make it 5-0. Rose was on target with a shot to a McDowall centre but The Tangerines could not force a goal. Cole shot in from an acute angle to a pass from Martin Kemp to complete his scoring for the night. However, there was still time for him to become a goal creator when superb work on the left allowed Bultitude to shoot in from six yards out to make it 7-0. Bell forced Chilvers to tip a header at a corner over the bar four minutes later. MoM: Goals win matches, but Jamie Cole did much more than score five times. He was a constant threat and his presence resulted in an own goal and created the other. The recently postponed Ridgeons Youth League Cup tie against Kirkley and Pakefield U18 will start 2010 at Brewers Green Lane on Thursday, January 7 (kick-off 7.45pm).

Most Read

EYE SAINTS U13 strengthened their leading position with a hard earned 4-0 away win at Kirton Kestrels. Saints had most of the play in the first half but only had a Joe Hooton shot to show for their efforts. The second half was a much better performance with goals from Tanner Call, Tom Hargrave with his first goal for the club and a tap-in from Ryan Newton which sealed the win for Saints. With Ben Roberts in goal and the back four looking solid it was another three points in the quest for promotion. MoM Adam Brown who had a steady game in defence.

HARLESTON U10 drew 1-1 with Kirkley & Pakefield E. A close game between two evenly matched teams ending in a first draw of the season for Harleston. They took the lead early in the second half with a well-worked goal finished off by the hard-working man of the match Johnny Middleton. However, they were pegged back and gave away a sloppy goal for K &P's equaliser. Both sides had clear chances to win the game but neither side could force a winner and a draw was probably a fair result.

HEMPNALL U14 entertained Burnt Hill this week. Burnt Hill took the lead but after a fantastic pass from Ciaran, Billy levelled the score only for Burnt Hill to take the lead again, and some brilliant saves from Alex keeping the score to 2-1 at half-time. In the second half a change of personnel in goal saw Alex come outfield and Olly take over in goal. Burnt Hill were awarded a penalty and although Olly saved it, Burnt Hill managed to score from the follow-up. Olly also made some excellent saves. Lee, Bulldog, Joe Joe and Olly (first half) and Alex (second half) were as always solid in defence with Bulldog having some good runs out of defence and gaining some free kicks, as was Joe Joe. Max, James and Tom in mid field were also solid and with Ciaran and Billy up front running their socks off Hempnall were unlucky not to score again. Although they lost, Hempnall can certainly hold their heads up with pride after a battling performance saw all 10 boys play out of their boots.

HEMPNALL U12 entertained Waveney Youth on Sunday, narrowly losing 1-0 in a very close contest, again played in wind and rain. Playing against the wind, Hempnall more than matched their opponents without creating many chances. Connor Garrod was drafted in at right-back and played solidly throughout. Hempnall also welcomed back Callum Maloney from injury and it was his bursting runs down the left that began to trouble the Waveney defence. Rhys Vertigans and Ethan Humphrey were very excellent at the back against a lively Waveney attack and Harry Gibson and Dan Babington were dominant in midfield. It was therefore against the run of play that Waveney opened the scoring after 25 minutes with their first scoring opportunity. The Waveney forward beating keeper Brooke from a tight angle. Hempnall continued to push forward without troubling the Waveney keeper and it was a double save from Joel Brooke that kept Hempnall in the game on the stroke of half-time.

In the second half Hempnall almost equalised when Callum Maloney was put through by Sam Fisher, forcing a good save from the keeper. The ball spiralled in the air without a Hempnall forward being close enough to nod into an empty net. Once again Hempnall more than matched their opponents but were beaten because Waveney took one of their two chances and Hempnall could not convert the only chance that came their way. Final score: Hempnall 0, Waveney Youth 1.

LONG STRATTON U10 travelled to Freethorpe for their last game of the year. The Reds were six up at half-time with a fine goal from H Nye, two from Z Sawyer and a hat-trick from J Bemrose. With a returning K Cleverly at the back to partner H Grimsley and some lovely link-up play between the midfielders and strikers, Stratton were on fire. In the second half it was the turn of G Hilton and W Gosling to pressure the home goal, but although K Locke had done well to stay alert when called upon, it was Freethorpe who went on to score. Garden Landscape Services MoM: B Whiting.

LONG STRATTON U13 took the long trip to Ormesby and returned with a 3-0 win. It was a fourth away win in Stratton's last five away trips, two goals from Brendan Edwards and a fine free-kick from Aidan Hilton won the game for Stratton, but it was the Reds' defence that stood out with all four defenders and keeper having fine games to record a third clean sheet of the season. Ben Clark had another superb game at right-back, Wayne Bemrose worked his socks off up front but the Stratton Glass and Windows MoM was skipper Adam Race for leading by example in winning so many tackles in midfield.

SCOLE GIRLS U12 drew 3-3 at home to Swanton Herons. Scole took an early lead when player-of-the-match Rebecca Archibald tapped the ball in. Nearing the end of the half Herons equalised when Scole failed to clear the ball. Herons took advantage when Scole's heads dropped to score another. Scole started the second half intent on equalising. Some great passing play between Archibald, Ellie Drake and Georgia King meant Drake could add another for Scole. Unfortunately Herons immediately scored again. Determined not to lose the game, Archibald netted the final goal minutes before the final whistle.

SCOLE U11 were up against a good Norwich Utd team and it ended 1-1. Ten minutes in, Norwich were allowed to break and score. The rest of the first half was fairly evenly matched with missed chances at both ends. In the second half Scole started to put pressure on Norwich and created a free-kick taken by Deon Wallace which went just wide. Scole's equaliser came not long after from a Scole corner resulting in a fine strike from Cameron McGhee. Scole's defence worked well during this match with some particularly good work from Matthew Littlewood. MoM: Matthew Littlewood for a good display in defence.