Diss Mercury area notes

DISS U18 had their Ridgeons Youth League Cup first round match against Kirkley and Pakefield was postponed last Thursday. A new date is yet to be set. Diss U18 next two league matches are at home against Walsham-le-Willows U18 tonight (7.

DISS U18 had their Ridgeons Youth League Cup first round match against Kirkley and Pakefield was postponed last Thursday. A new date is yet to be set. Diss U18 next two league matches are at home against Walsham-le-Willows U18 tonight (7.45pm) and away at Felixstowe and Walton U18 on Wednesday (7.45pm).

DISS U10 TIGERS used this friendly match as an opportunity to give new players Josh Barrett and Sam Edwards a game and try different tactics and positions for existing players. The first quarter went well for the Tigers who showed some strong play and were unlucky to end the quarter a goal down. Mulbarton played confident passing football, scoring five more goals throughout the match and despite strong defensive play from Samuel Seymour-Blackburn and several chances for the Diss forwards, Town didn't manage to score. The match ended Diss Town U10 Tigers 0 Mulbarton U10 6.

DISS TOWN U9: A pair of home fixtures saw Diss face Jex and Sprowston. Game one against Jex saw a great, even match on a heavy pitch. Defenders Alex Chittock and Kieran Allen were simply blinding and Diss took an early lead through the hard-working Cameron Rossell. The equally impressive Charlie Bowen was not to be outdone and coolly slotted home a second to put Diss in control. Keeper Owen Thompson-Browne then faced a penalty and did enough to force a miss from the Jex striker. An injury late on saw Connor Blake take the gloves and two excellent saves with his legs secured a great win. Final score Diss 2, Jex 1. Game two against top side Sprowston was always going to be a tough ask. Dane Potter, in midfield, ran his socks off battling constantly and Jack Burrows also kept competing well under some serious pressure from the visitors. Ryan Hook ploughed a lone furrow up front and did his best to hold the ball up however eventually the visitors ran out winners but this was no disgrace in a good Diss display. Final score Diss 0, Sprowston 4.

EYE SAINTS U13 strengthened their lead at the top of the table with a hard- fought 5-3 away win at Holbrook. Saints started well with Tom Hargrave going close and they were rewarded when Tanner Call scored from close range. Saints were creating plenty of chances and it was against the run of play when Holbrook equalised after a mix-up in the defence. Holbrook took the lead with a shot from the edge of the area. Saints equalised when an excellent cross from Reuben Martindale was headed in by Call. Saints went ahead early in the second half with a quality free-kick from Joe Hooton. Saints stepped up the pace and went 4-2 up when a free-kick from Call found Hooton who finished confidently. A great running cross from Hargrave found Hooton unmarked in the six-yard area and he completed his hat-trick. Holbrook responded by pulling a goal back and kept pressing. Saints' keeper, Ben Roberts, made a couple of important saves and defender Liam Potter made a brilliant clearance off the line to secure another win for the high-flying Saints. MoM Joe Hooton.

HARLESTON U9 won 4-2 at Freethorpe. Although Harleston took an early lead through H Warner, Freethorpe were the better side in the first half. With Harleston looking too relaxed in this first half Freethorpe chased every ball and finished the half 2-1 ahead. Harleston's half-time team talk did wonders and they came out in the second half a completely different side. Taking the game to Freethorpe, they forced an error from the defence, leading to an own goal and levelling the scores. This was the turning point in this game and Harleston produced some of their best football this season. Superb one-twos in the middle of the park from F Boreham and J Ling released H Warner to slot home his second and enable Harleston to take a 3-2 lead. With the Freethorpe keeper in inspired form Harleston had to keep their discipline and trust their football. Eventually, this paid off and again some excellent one and two-touch football throughout the team gave H Warner his hat-trick and Harleston's fourth. Great defending at the back from H Robson and S Fawcett ensured it finished 4-2 to Harleston. MoM: H Warner.

HEMPNALL U12 entertained Gorleston Rangers A in the semi-final of the League Cup. Gorleston are currently top of Division One and had beaten Hempnall 8-1 in October, however this was a very different Hempnall team performance to produce the shock of the round. Hempnall began brightly with Dan Babington having the first shot on target comfortably saved. Gorleston began to find a way behind the Hempnall defence and took the lead when the ball was only half-cleared allowing the forward to smash the ball past keeper Joel Brooks. He had to make a smart save to prevent Gorleston adding another. Hempnall began to play some good passing football which was causing panic in the Gorleston defence and it was Dan's run past two defenders that led to the equaliser. His shot was parried out to Harry Barratt to fire home his second goal in two games. Hempnall were now well on top and when Callum Maloney was fouled just outside the box Dan forced the keeper to make a fine save at his near post. In the second half Hempnall played against the wind. Rhys Vertigans and Ethan Humphrey at the heart of the defence were keeping the two forwards quiet, allowing Harry Gibson and Dan Babington to dominate the midfield. It was another battling run by Dan that led to the decisive goal. His pass found Ben Allen in space on the right wing. Ben slipped his marker before smashing in an unstoppable shot from 15 yards. Sam Fisher and Connor Garrod were also solid in defence. As Gorleston battled in the final 15 minutes to find an equaliser all Hempnall players defended doggedly and it was left to keeper Brooks to smother the ball in injury time following a mel�e in the box to ensure that Hempnall go through to the final at Gorleston's Emerald Park. Team managers Wayne Maloney and Scott Garrod should be praised for the way they have instilled the belief back in the side when early results went against them. Final score Hempnall 2, Gorleston Rangers A 1.

Most Read

LONG STRATTON U10 had a 2-0 win at home to Burnt Hill in what turned out to be a lacklustre performance. Two first-half goals, one from H Nye, finding a gap between the keeper and his near post and another from Z Sawyer with a low drive from just outside the six-yard box sealed the points. Stratton never really found form throughout the whole game, but with MoM K Locke in great form, another clean sheet and a win from a below-par performance, it's another three points in the bag.

LONG STRATTON U13 lost 8-0 to Division One outfit Loddon Grasshoppers in the Shield. Some very good defending in the first half saw Stratton restrict the scoreline to 2-0 at the break but the home players seemed to tire in the second half and as they got more ragged Loddon made the most of the gaps scoring six more. Ben Clark was MoM, hardly putting a foot wrong, George Larter and Brendan Edwards also playing well.

SCOLE U12 GIRLS lost 4-0 at home to Thorpe. The game kicked off with both teams fairly evenly matched. After a solid first 10 minutes, Scole were unlucky to concede. Their heads dropped which allowed another to follow before half time. Determined to score, Scole upped their game but unfortunately it wasn't enough to match Thorpe's play and they went 3-0 down. Scole grabbed any chances at goal they could with good attempts coming from Rebecca Archibald and Bengi Karakus but never managed to find the back of the net. Thorpe added a final goal before the end of the half. Player of the match went to Isabel Grimley for effort and determination throughout the game.

SCOLE U13 won 8-0 at home to Mulbarton. Scole started off slowly and it took them a while to get their passing going, Oscar Marshall opened the scoring when he beat three players and finished coolly. Oscar then got his second following in from close range, Charlie Deakin then scored in similar fashion after the keeper dropped the ball. Scole played a lot better in the second half and added more goals from Aiden Shaen Carter 2, Max Turner, Jake Snowling and Laurence Breeze to make it 8-0. MoM: Thomas Constance for his excellent work rate and passing.

SCOLE U11 won 9-0 away to Attleborough. On yet another damp and cold day Scole delivered their best performance of the season so far. Starting confidently, they soon produced several chances on goal, but at this stage seemed unable to hit the target. Eventually, persistence paid off with a wonderful shot from Cameron Mcghee coming of the bar for Luke Barraclough to head home. After half-time Scole stepped up a gear and produced eight more goals, a hat-trick for Cameron Mcghee and two goals each from Deon Wallace and Ben Shepherd with Luke Barraclough scoring one more to make it nine. A fantastic team effort. MoM: Cameron Mcghee & Luke Barraclough.

SCOLE LADS U12 won 2-1 at home to Dereham Wanderers Blue. This was a tough match with both sides battling hard. Carradus, Constance and Wootton defended well giving Blues few opportunities to score. The forwards and midfielders ran and passed well, holding possession but scoring was proving elusive. Dundas, Payne and Josh Driver worked well together and finally Driver equalised. After half-time, Shipperlee, Heath and Payne made some great runs but failed to score. Scole continued to quickly regain possession and the defence did well to prevent Blues from scoring. Finally, Dundas put Scole in the lead from a corner, giving Scole a 2-1 win. MoM Sean Dundas.

HARLESTON U13 were away to a higher division team in the shield, Bohemians B from Division Two. For the first 20 minutes it was end-to-end action with W Coleman opening the scoring for Harleston, but straight from the kick-off the home team levelled the scores. With the scores level at the break and everything to play for Harleston took the game to the home team after the interval and after continuous pressure were eventually awarded a penalty. Although this was not converted,

A Burlton managed to score from the corner straight after to put Harleston back in front. The game was still pretty even when ten minutes from time Bohemians drew level again. In extra time, the first 20 minutes were a bit shabby from both teams as desperation to score the winner set in, neither side could break the deadlock and so to penalties it went. The penalties were level 3-3 but unfortunately it was Harleston who missed when it went to sudden death. A great display from the boys who made a good account of themselves against higher league opposition, MoM: J Brown in goal. Final score Bohemians 2, Harleston 2 (Bohs win 4-3 on penalties).