Diss Mercury area teams

HEMPNALL GIRLS beat Reepham Girls 6-2. A very slow start all round by Hempnall gave Reepham the opportunity to press the home goal, with some determined defending by Alana and Beth aiding Lily to keep the ball out of her net.

HEMPNALL GIRLS beat Reepham Girls 6-2. A very slow start all round by Hempnall gave Reepham the opportunity to press the home goal, with some determined defending by Alana and Beth aiding Lily to keep the ball out of her net. Gradually Hempnall found their pace and some excellent wide balls from Lilly freed up a quick and skilful Katy S to open up the Reepham defence. Katy's hard work was rewarded with her hat-trick and vote for girl of the game and she supplied an excellent chance for Lucy to net before she had to leave the field due to illness. The second half saw a gap in midfield, with Lucy missing, allowing the visitors to net two easy goals but Taylor found her form in the last quarter, plugging the gap and netting the fifth goal. A determined Kiera, who had come on and played the lone striker, saw her lose her marker and calmly slot the sixth goal past Reepham's keeper. Another good win, despite a slow start and again a terrific team effort, with Shannon and Katie B supporting both defence and attack and Holly alternating in the striker's position.

DISS U18: Ridgeons Youth League Cup first round against Kirkley and Pakefield U8 last Thursday was postponed. They will be at home to Debenham Leisure Centre U18 tonight (kick-off 7.45pm) and away at Ipswich Wanderers U18 on Tuesday, December 15 (kick-off 7.45pm). Both are league matches.

DISS U10 HAWKS made the early running in this match against Hethersett and the pressure told as Lawrence Brown scored after a good move. Sam Hunt doubled the lead from a corner. A great move ended in Charlie Stammers' shot being blocked and then, from Will Smith's pass, Jamie Channell turned and shot to put the Hawks 3-0 up at half-time. Hethersett pulled a goal back after the restart and William Aitken made a great fingertip save to deny them a second. Diss recovered well, with Josh Goddard and Scott Wilby winning the ball and using it well from midfield. MoM Jamie Channell scored his second in a 4-1 win.

DISS TOWN U10 HAWKS were caught on the back foot by a strong Hellesdon side. They quickly went two goals down and were grateful to Steven Hines for some last-ditch defending. Diss began to recover but were hit on the break either side of the interval to go four goals down. It is much to the Hawks' credit that they then rallied, competing for the ball much more strongly and pulling back goals through Sam Hunt and Jamie Channell. There was not enough time to complete the comeback but the boys clearly learned a lesson in this 4-2 defeat. MoM: Sam Hunt.

EYE SAINTS U13 moved seven points clear at the top after a comprehensive 13-1 away win at Ipswich Athletic. Two goals from Tanner Call and one from Joe Hooton gave Saints a perfect platform. Further goals from Ryan Newton, a brilliant strike from Reuben Martindale, a third from Call and a goal from Levi Harris gave Saints a commanding 7-0 lead. Early in the second half Charlie Brown scored number eight before Ipswich pulled one back. Subs Liam Potter, Adam Brown and Tom Hargrave all contributed during the second half. Saints went goal crazy in the last 10 minutes, scoring a further five goals from Call (2), Hooton (2) and a brilliant strike from Martindale. MoM: Tanner Call.

EYE SAINTS U15 were facing another one of the top teams in the league St Johns and after last week's result they were full of confidence, and they won 4-3. The visitors started the game strongly and found themselves one goal up in under a minute. Instead of the Saints' heads dropping, they got on with the job in hand and dominated the game, putting St John's under constant pressure. They were rewarded when top scorer Luke Martin completed a hat-trick in under 10 minutes. It was another superb attacking display from Luke and Charlie Watts, with the midfield working extra hard, not allowing the visitors any space to play. Eye got the ball forward to Luke who set up Charlie for Eye's fourth. St Johns did pull a goal back before half-time and started to get back in the game. Eye came in 4-2 up at the break. The second half was a reverse of the first but Eye's defence of Kyle Cox, Alfie Unsworth, Steven Dyer and Robert Kayley were outstanding, remaining solid and strong. When they did manage to get through, keeper Ben Taylor was there to deny any chance of a comeback. Eye always looked dangerous on the break but couldn't net. It was the visitors who got the last goal of the game. MoM: Ben Taylor and his defence.

Most Read

HARLESTON U12 visited Cobholm looking to continue their good form of late, which they did in fine style, winning 8-0. Harleston were guilty of missing numerous chances before they eventually grabbed the lead after a good interchange of passes in midfield led to captain Brandon Pickess coolly slotting home. With the wind in their favour and after adjusting to the pitch, Harleston began to play with style and soon added to their tally. Ryan Shadbolt doubled the lead before Morgan Robinson smashed home from the spot to make it 3-0. Tom Girling scored direct from a corner to make it 4-0. It was one-way traffic now with Shadbolt calmly slotting home to make it five. Tom Girling slotted home for the goal of the game, before Harvey Clarke tapped in after a goalmouth scramble. Just before the end Shadbolt scored again to complete his hat-trick. James Taylor claimed MoM in a good team display.

HARLESTON U9 beat Swindell 2-0. On a very wet and windy morning Harleston welcomed Swindell for the first time this season. With both teams finding conditions difficult Harleston were managing to play the better football. They soon had Swindell on the back foot only to see the keeper save well from an H Warner effort. With Harleston putting even more pressure on the Swindell goal they managed to finally break through with some excellent passing leading to H Warner opening the scoring. Swindell had their chances during an excellent first half but found B Marjoram on top form in the Harleston goal. The second half saw much of the same with both teams playing some excellent football under very difficult conditions. On his return H Robson put in a solid performance in defence. J Lester never let anyone passed him and C Wells and S Fawcet played some great balls out of defence. The midfield of F Boreham, K Harvey and J Ling played some great balls into the box between them but Harleston were unlucky on many occasions not to increase their lead. F Boreham finally got his reward, slotting home Harleston's second. A great all-round team performance saw Harleston finish 2-0 winners. MoM: B Marjoram.

HEMPNALL U12 secured their second away win of the season on Sunday when they travelled to Gorleston FC. Hempnall decided to play against a strong wind and driving rain in the first half. It took 15 minutes before they were able to get the ball into the Gorleston penalty area when Ben Allen almost reached a through-ball. Hempnall began to dominate play with some neat football and as Gorleston struggled to clear their lines Dan Babington lobbed the ball over the keeper into the net. With the rain driving into their faces Hempnall continued to dominate and Dan added a second just on half-time having been put through by Harry Gibson. Hempnall added a third straight from the kick-off when Dan fired home from 25 yards securing a well-deserved hat-trick. The wind and rain then completely died away, taking the advantage from Hempnall who then conceded two late goals but overall deserved their win created by the fantastic team display in the first half against the elements. Final score: Gorleston 2, Hempnall 3.

SCOLE U13 had a long trip on a wet Sunday morning to North Walsham, and returned with a 3-0 win. Scole created a few early chances with Laurence Breeze going closest. North Walsham were really up for it and it was a very physical match. With 25 minutes gone Charlie Deakin chased a long ball and out- muscled the defender to lay the ball back to Nathan Locke who drilled the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. After the goal Walsham lost their discipline but Scole kept their cool and continued to battle hard and scored a second goal from Oscar Marshall with an excellent lob from the edge of the area. Nathan Locke scored the third after Charlie had his shot saved by the keeper. Scole put in an excellent defensive display particularly Joe Stansbridge and MoM Jake Snowling.

DISS U10 Tigers recorded their first league win of the season against New Buckenham, 4-3 Diss began the game playing some great passing football but went one goal down when New Bucks scored from a penalty kick. Town conceded another goal early in the second quarter. Diss were soon back level with Billy Hines scoring at the end of the second quarter and again in the third, this time Billy got on the end of an excellent free-kick from Samuel Seymour-Blackburn. Town's third goal came when Isaac Holliday directed a header towards the goal and Scott Catchpole finished. Samuel Seymour-Blackburn scored Town's fourth goal. New Bucks' third goal followed but Diss kept up the pressure with Alfie Parry and Josh Cook battling well.