Diss Mercury area youth reports

Diss U10 travelled to Spixworth and returned with three points after a 3-1 victory.

Spixworth started brightly and were only denied by the brilliance of Owen Thompson Browne. This seemed to spur Diss into action and they soon had the ball in the net through a brilliant individual goal from Charlie Bowen. Diss started the second half well and scored again through another individual effort this time through Mitchell Noller. Diss scored their final goal after a long throw from Charlie Bowen deflected off a defender and flew in. Spixworth scored late on. MoM: Charlie Bowen.

Eye Saints U14 played host to Martlesham Bombers and won 5-3 in an entertaining contest. Saints made a flying start with Tom Hargrave scoring after 10 seconds. Reuben Martindale made it 2-0 and Tanner Call soon scored Saints’ third. Martlesham pulled a goal back but a second goal by Hargrave made it 4-1 to Saints at half-time. Martlesham started the second half on top and soon scored two more goals. With the game in the balance Joe Hooton scored with 10 minutes remaining to seal a vital win for the Saints. MoM: Joe Hooton.

Harleston U9 entered the game against Kirkley knowing that a win for either team would put them top. Kirkley took the lead early on but excellent marking by Ethan Waters and Alex Hawkins, always backed up by Nathan Tyler made it difficult for them. Harrison Tompkins started brightly up front and was replaced by Alfie Chenery, chasing and challenging for everything he could get to. First-class performances by Joe Collett, Charlie Norman and Dominic Pearce combined with some excellent goalkeeping by William Rose completed a well-rounded team display. Harleston’s initial goal came late in the first half from Charlie Norman, bringing the scores level. A defensive clearance from Nathan Tyler was controlled well by Norman before finishing with a great strike. An excellent display from both teams. PoM: Nathan Tyler.

Harleston Town U14 were at local rivals Long Stratton, looking to complete the double over them. In an evenly-matched game it was the hosts who took the lead midway through the first half but this was soon cancelled out by an Antony Burlton equaliser. Harleston soon took the lead after Terry Hope netted. Harleston went 3-1 up from a superb individual effort by Josh Lewis before Stratton pulled one back. The new formation at the back for Harleston was holding strong with them continually pushing the ball forward for the front men to feed off. Burlton grabbed his brace for a final score of Long Stratton 2, Harleston 4. Very gritty performance from the whole team. MoM: Terry Hope.

Harleston Town U15 welcomed league leaders Kirkley and Pakefield U15A knowing, having lost to them twice already this season, they were in for a hard game. Kirkley broke their resistance twice in the first half but Harleston held strong and created a few chances of their own with Remarl Nelson and Ollie Earl having the best of them, but it was mainly the defence who worked the hardest. MoM: captain for the day Callum Wells.

Hempnall U13 travelled to Caister for a must-win game. Although Hempnall had to face the wind in the first half the defence coped so much better than last week. Ben Allen forced an early corner and then linked with Callum Maloney for Connor Garrod to shoot wide. Ethan Humphrey hit the bar as chances were missed before Ben passed to Dan Babington to shoot home. Joel Brookes made a fine save before Callum beat the offside trap to round the keeper to increase the lead. Playing with the wind, Caister scored three quick goals. Hempnall’s Dan hit a post and bar. Connor finally raced clear to superbly lob the keeper from 25 yards to equalise. Ethan shot past a post before scoring from close range. In the final minute Dan scored direct from a corner. Rhys Vertigans and Sam Fisher were superb in defence. Final score: Caister 3, Hempnall 5.

Most Read

Scole Lades U11 went behind following some consistent Taverham pressure. The rest of the half saw Scole dominate. Hitch put in a great corner, which Barsby leaped to nod in perfectly to level. Heffer played some lovely football down the left and Ellgood at right-back got a number of attacks started. Pullinger deservedly put Scole ahead, swivelling in the box to fire the ball into the roof of the net. The second half was a battle. Manning (MoM) typified the effort, with repeated blocks and tackles. Taverham equalised and then Scole nearly got a last-minute winner, Rackham unlucky to see his stabbed effort going just wide. Final score: 2-2.

Scole Lads U12 were up against Toftwood U12 who have not lost this season. Scole dominated and were playing excellent, controlled passing football and were soon two goals up from Cameron Mcghie and Ben Evans. Scole were unable to extend their lead further as a slight lack of concentration allowed Toftwood to score followed by a controversial decision Toftwood then equalised. Toftwood scored again, Scole then stepped up another gear and they dominated the rest of second half but just could not find the net. MoM: Ben Shepherd.

Scole Lads U13 were disadvantaged by the strong wind but also had to work hard to rise above controversial refereeing decisions. Everett, Payne and Gould had their chances but were weakened when Gould was carried off. The second half saw Everett get off to a promising start. Finally Dundas found the target after a corner rattled around but Scole struggled to get close enough to score again, fearful of being tackled. Goodwin-Tallents earned a well-deserved MoM award. Final score: 2-1.

Scole Girls U13 started well, creating lots of chances but were unable to make them pay, strong defending from Amber Elliott and Georgia Edwards restricted Dereham to very few chances. A shot from Rebecca Archibald was well saved by the keeper but Isabelle Grimley scored her first goal for Scole from the rebound. Dereham equalised from a corner just before half-time. Jemima Harvey chased a long ball and under pressure the defender scored an own goal. PoM Rebecca secured the points with two well-taken goals.

Scole Lads U14 scored after just one minute when a through-ball from Jordan Thurlwell found George Mills who lobbed past the keeper. Dereham slowly came into the game and went in at half-time 2-1 up. In the second half Dereham scored four more to make the final score 6-1. This was a poor performance from the boys having started so well and they will need to improve if they are going to stay in the A league. This was despite the efforts of Nathan Locke and Dan Taylor (PoM) in defence.

Scole Girls started well against the league leaders Norwich City Greens although they were one player short. Tash Blakely hit a post with a good shot. Norwich gradually got into the game and just before half-time they scored what turned out to be the winning goal despite some good saves from Megan Robinson. An even second half left Scole searching in vain for an equaliser with Norwich also creating several chances but there were more goalkeeping heroics from Robinson (girl of game).