Diss Mercury notes

DISS TOWN U10 TIGERS lost 8-2 away to Thetford Bulldogs. Facing tough opposition, Diss showed great spirit in this game at Thetford. Defenders Samuel Seymour Blackburn and Matthew Neal played strongly and Town's goalkeeper Joshua Musk made some great saves.

DISS TOWN U10 TIGERS lost 8-2 away to Thetford Bulldogs. Facing tough opposition, Diss showed great spirit in this game at Thetford. Defenders Samuel Seymour Blackburn and Matthew Neal played strongly and Town's goalkeeper Joshua Musk made some great saves. New player Mitchell was full of enthusiasm. Billy Hines once again proved himself an asset on all parts of the pitch and there was good passing of the ball from Alfie Parry. Both Kyle Warren and Isaac Holliday had several shots at goal but it was Josh Cook who found the back of the net twice.

DISS U9 played their final league game of the season away to Taverham and this summed up the season in general with another narrow defeat. A much-depleted squad saw Charlie Bowen in goal and he made several good stops in an even game. No subs meant hard work for all with Alex Chittock, Kieran Allen and Connor Blake running themselves into the ground. Several half chances came with Ryan Hook very close at the death. Final score: Taverham 2, Diss 0. The lads then travelled to Norwich United for a friendly to fill the morning and this game followed in the same vein. Dane Potter, Jack Burrows and Dan Blackburn mixed it well however Norwich United took the chances that came their way to run out convincing winners.

EYE SAINTS U13 in their last home game of the season won 2-0 against Ipswich Athletic. Saints started brightly with Levi Harris, Ash Harris and Tanner Call all close to scoring early on. A brilliant save from the Ipswich keeper from Call kept the scores 0-0 at half-time. Saints made four substitutions at half time with one of them, Tom Hargrave, a prominent force down the left wing. Saints struck the wood work three times and only the outstanding Ipswich keeper kept the score level. With 15 minutes remaining Saints finally broke through when defender, Toby Bell-Tye, playing as a striker, calmly lifted his shot past the keeper to put Eye 1-0 up. Five minutes later Reuben Martindale, from the penalty spot, put Saints 2-0 up. It wasn't the best performance of the season but it was another three points for the champions. Man-of-the-match: Toby Bell-Tye.

HARLESTON U12 continued their good recent form with a comprehensive victory and in doing so guaranteed a top five finish. Harleston started well and deservedly took the lead early on when Ryan Shadbolt shot low and hard into the bottom corner. They soon doubled their lead when Craig Ellis challenged the keeper and the loose ball fell kindly to Harvey Clarke who tapped home. Sole Bay then came more into the game and a quick break down the left resulted in the ball being squared and the visiting striker tapped home. The home side were then pushed back and only good defending kept Harleston in front. Then moments before half-time when a Harleston corner was only half cleared the ball fell to Morgan Robinson 30 yards from goal, he immediately hit an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Half time: 3-1. Right from the restart Harleston pushed forward and Ryan Shadbolt scored his second with a good shot. Ryan Shadbolt then completed his hat-trick when he ran unchallenged before rounding the keeper. It was one-way traffic now and it soon became 6-1 when Brandon Pickess threaded a fine through ball to Ryan Shadbolt who slid the ball home for this fourth. As time was running out Tom Girling scored a seventh beating two players before beating the keeper from an acute angle. Final score: 7-1. Man-of-the-match Ryan Shadbolt for a fine display of finishing but this again was a fine team performance.

HARLESTON U10 played Burnt Hill in their final league game of the season. They started well and dominated creating lots of chances, the best of these was just before half-time, unfortunately this was missed and as a result the players' heads dropped. Half-time arrived with the score goalless. It was a different story second half as Burnt Hill pressed forward. Keeper Ryan Ellis kept his side in the game. He was however, beaten three times. Ryan Ellis claimed man-of-the-match for a fine display in what was a disappointing second half showing.

HEMPNALL U12 finished the season on a high when they beat Gorleston FC 5-1 in the final of the Norfolk and Suffolk League Cup at Emerald Park, Gorleston. In the 25th minute a fine penetrating run down the left wing by full back Sam Fisher found Dan in space and this time his 30 yard shot found the top left corner of the net with the keeper well beaten. Callum Maloney outpaced the Gorleston defence as he went on a 40-yard dash down the wing and then cut inside to shoot passed the keeper to put Hempnall two up. Harry Gibson then headed in from Dan's corner only for the goal to be disallowed, the ball was adjudged to have come in and out before reaching Harry. Hempnall added to their score in sensational style straight from the kick off in the second half. Oli Newson played the ball to Dan Babington who jinked his way passed five players, looked up then beat two more in the box before firing a shot passed the keeper having run half the length of the field. Harry Gibson scored from 30 yards but was unlucky to have his second goal of the game disallowed for an infringement. Hempnall increased their lead in the 70th minute when a quickly-taken throw in from Callum found Dan Babington who turned his man and then shot superbly between the keeper and the near post to complete a well deserved hat-trick. Ben Allen was harshly adjudged to have handled the ball in the 75 minute and although the penalty was well saved by keeper Brooks the rebound was hammered into the net. Oli Newson finally got his name on the score sheet in the 80th minute when he thumped a shot high into the net from 12 yards to complete the scoring for Hempnall. Callum Maloney was awarded the man-of-the-match by the league officials and it was left to Ethan Humphrey to raise the Cup aloft as Hempnall U12 won 5-1. Congratulations to the team and to team manager Wayne Maloney and assistant manager Scott Garrod.

Most Read

SCOLE U12 lost 4-3 at home to Thetford: This was a disappointing result for Scole who did not play at their best. Thetford were strong opponents from the start as Scole struggled to keep possession and win the ball midfield. At (0-2) down Scole began to put some fight into their game, producing some good scoring opportunities which finally paid off when Josh Driver pushed the ball in the net (1-2). Scole had moments of brilliance allowing Everett to score (2-4) but frustratingly other shots from Shipperlee and McWilliam went wide. Finally Payne scores (3-4). Goalie Goodwin-Tallents was a deserving MoM.

SCOLE U13 won 11-0 at Horsford. Unfortunately Horsford only had eight players but wanted to play so Scole matched their eight to keep it fair. It wasn't until halfway through the first half when the deadlock was broken with Max Turner scoring with a well struck shot. Thomas Constance made it two before Oscar Marshall, Man of the match Joe Read and Will Nevitt scored to make it 5-0 at half-time.The second half continued with Scole playing some excellent football and further goals were scored by Nathan Locke, Sam Baker, Max, Aidan Shaen-Carter, Thomas and Oscar. Matt Harper had an excellent match playing his first game for four months.