Diss only winners in top four

A very late goal gave Fakenham a 1-1 home draw but their visitors Gorleston’s promotion push benefited from other results going their way.

Cambridge University Press and Whitton also drew, with Diss the only one of the top four to win, 3-0 at home to Stowmarket. Only four points separate the quartet.

Fakenham manager Wayne Anderson was delighted at the way his new system worked. “We threw everyone in at the deep end. They were a bit confused to start with in the dressing room but they took on board what I and Jarvo (assistant Neil Jarvis) told them. They could have had all three points.”

On a soggy pitch, division leaders by one point Gorleston struggled to get their game together and Fakenham looked the most likely to open the scoring. Gorleston, however, scored nine minutes into the second half. Steve Taylor and Darren Cockrill set up Mitch Forbes to drill home his 14th goal of the campaign.

The referee found over six minutes of added on time and five minutes in a ball was hoisted into the Green’s area by Stephen Harvey. With Ben Coe and Matt Gilchrist putting keeper Elliott Pride under pressure, the ball fell for Gilchrist to equalise.

Diss continued their promotion push with a fifth successive 3-0 win.

It took until the 31st minute for the Tangerines to take the lead and a firm grip on the game. Jordan Rocastle turned a defender and shot into the far corner of the net for his 21st goal of the season. A few minutes later Rocastle forced Kevin Bugg to tip a shot over.

Most Read

Diss went 2-0 up in the 39th minute from a corner taken by Stuart Garner on the left. His cross was headed powerfully in by Stefan Gilding. Matty Webster was forced to make a good save to deny James Graham just before half-time.

Andy Moody sent a free-kick into the danger zone in the 48th minute. The ball was not cleared and Sam Bryant scored from eight yards, his seventh goal of the season.

Five minutes from time Partridge had a great chance but he put his shot wide. Then Stowmarket had James Horsfall sent off.

Swaffham completed their double over Cornard United, repeating a 7-0 win away.

The first goal came just seven minutes into the game. A great through ball by captain David Spalding released Joe Jackson to score.

A minute later, Jackson’s striking partner Craig Burton made it two, beating a pair of defenders to lash the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Burton, four minutes later, played in Nathan Cross to slide the ball low past the keeper for the third. A Jackson corner in the 22nd minute was met by a Scott Voutt header. Cornard then rallied and defended better.

Early in the second half, Richard Cornwall replaced Spalding through injury and Jack Redhead replaced Will O’Brien.

Burton’s second came from a Jackson corner. Jackson then bagged his second, beating two men to volley in. Jake Platten replaced Jackson in the 68th minute, and his first impact on the game came three minutes later. Receiving from Burton, he took two touches forward and side-footed past the keeper.

Thetford had to settle for a point in a goalless draw at Godmanchester in windy conditions where their final ball was over-hit first half but three chances were created.

Facing the wind second half, Town again went close but were nearly caught out by Godmanchester’s long-ball game.

A Matt Blake free-kick hit the top of the home bar.