Diss/Scole area notes

DISS U9 travelled to Norwich United for two friendlies to hopefully boost morale after some unlucky league results. In game one against our old friends and hosts Diss were soon on top form with Alex Chittock and Kieran Allen who had a slight thigh strain superb at the back.

DISS U9 travelled to Norwich United for two friendlies to hopefully boost morale after some unlucky league results. In game one against our old friends and hosts Diss were soon on top form with Alex Chittock and Kieran Allen who had a slight thigh strain superb at the back. Midfielders Connor Blake and Robert Jestico were running amok in midfield and both thundered the post as Diss pressed. A pinpoint goal kick from keeper Owen Thompson-Browne saw Cameron Rossell collect the ball on halfway then slip two defenders before smashing home the opener. Robert Jestico then added a second in a goalmouth scramble to give Diss a two goal lead. Final score Norwich Utd 0, Diss 2. Game two was more even with Dane Potter and debut boy Archie Clarkson having to work hard in midfield as the hosts looked to avenge the first games result. Pressure told as Utd scored from a corner, however this spurred on Diss and from a monstrous Cameron Rossell throw into the box Jack Burrows got his first goal for the club bundling home with his backside, just reward for a all action display. Right at the death Utd grabbed a second from a corner to nick the win but the two games were excellent between two even teams, final score Norwich Utd 2, Diss 1.

DISS U18 visited Stowmarket, losing 4-1. Diss played better in the second half than they had in the first despite playing most of it with a player short after Ben Garwood was sent off for two yellow card offences early in the second half. Stowmarket remain unbeaten from their first five league games this season. Tom Abbott put Stowmarket into the lead in the 14th minute. The second goal came via an own goal. George Perry was forced to make a tackle to close Abbott down as he shot but the ball looped up off his foot and went past Joe Marriott. Diss pulled a goal back five minutes before half time when Amar Cohodar used his pace to get into a dangerous position. There was a scramble following his shot and Dawid Kawa turned the loose ball into the net. Tom Lampshire made it 3-1 before the break. Shortly after Garwood was sent off a close offside decision went against Diss when Ronnie Heffer shot in. Gerrell Harris played the ball through for Dan Davies to make it 4-1 in the 64th minute. Cohodar had a 70th minute shot blocked by goalkeeper Craig Langfield with his follow up shot deflected wide. Cohodar was inches wide with a 35 yard shot just before the end of the game. Diss U18s next match will be away at Walsham-le-Willows U18s on Thursday, November 19 (kick-off 7.45pm).

SCOLE GIRLS U10 travelled to King's Lynn to play their first match of the season against St Edmund Pride Girls and came away with a convincing 6-3 win. As a new team Scole started cautiously but took the lead when Emily Logan made a good run down the pitch and scored. St Edmund Pride soon equalised but Scole went ahead again with a goal from Leah Constance and another one from Emily. St Edmund Pride then scored but this was followed by a third goal for Emily. St Edmund Pride got another goal back and at half-time Scole were leading 4-3. The second half saw Scole working well as a team. Some excellent tackling by Olivia Davey, good defending by Carla Lummis and Katie Barrett together with some great goalkeeping from Emma Rogers denied the opposition anymore goals. Lauren Dunning and Leah Constance worked well together making some good passes and Scole increased their lead with two more goals from Emily. PoM: Emma Rogers.

SCOLE GIRLS U12, after their defeat to Dereham Wanderers last week, were out for revenge. With a full strength team they were optimistic but an early goal from Dereham meant Scoles heads dropped. The second half and Scole set out strong determined to equalise with a few chances including shots from player of the match Ellie Drake. Unfortunately nothing paid off for Scole and the girls did not come together which allowed Dereham to net another. This was another disappointing result for the girls, hopefully they can put it right Saturday.

BECKVALE U11 beat Gorleston 4-1. In a classic six pointer at the top of the table, Beckvale entertained a strong Gorleston side in front of a good home crowd. Beckvale were slow to start and looked very disjointed in the first ten minutes allowing Gorleston to settle, and without the outstanding Guy Foster (MoM) between the home sticks, they would have been a goal down. The home team should have gone to the break in the lead missing a golden chance just before the whistle. The home team came out after a strong half time talk and started to show signs of their usual passing game, although they still looked a bit lackadaisical at times. Gorleston took the lead with 15 minutes left and this is what really stirred the game into life. Two minutes later captain Oakley picked up the ball at left-back and ran all the way down the flank beating four Gorleston players before crossing for Evans to smash into the goal. Beckvale now had the tails up and quickly followed up with a fine goal from Mason after good work from Bental and Wales in the heart of the midfield. Further goals from Evans (penalty) and a great Harvey strike made sure that Beckvale took all the points. They are now nine points clear at the top. Beckvale next visit St Benets in the league.

EYE SAINTS U13 had a comfortable 9-3 home win against Claydon. Saints started brightly and soon went 1-0 up with a fine finish from Joe Hooton. Levi Harris scored the second and Hooton scored again to make the score 3-0. Further goals from Ash Harris and Cameron McKie put Saints 5-0 up before Claydon pulled one back. Levi scored again to take the Saints 6-1 into half time. During the second half, goals from Tanner Call (2) and Levi's hat-trick goal gave top of the table Saints a well deserved victory. MoM: Joe Hooton for an excellent all-round display. Saints have new sponsorship with The Firewood Factory, Palgrave. Many thanks to Ian Garnham for kind sponsorship of Saints home kit. A team picture will appear in the Mercury soon.

Most Read

HARLESTON U13 were at home to table toppers Acle. As any Division Three manager will tell you this new team in our league have clearly been put in the wrong division and are easily Division One standard. Despite a full strength squad and A Burlton putting the home side ahead the visitors went in 4-1 up at half-time. With their great passing ability Acle were soon back on the score sheet after the break and although J Lewis grabbed himself a birthday goal to make it 5-2 the visitors continued to increase their goal tally. At 10-2 J Withington scored his first of the season but nevertheless Acle went on to win 12-3. A gritty performance by the home side though passing in the final third of the pitch could do with some improvement. MoM: T Gower.

HARLESTON YFC U14 lost to St Benets Wasps 2-1. This was a game of two halves, the first half dominated by the Wasps who opened the scoring in the first minute when they bundled the ball in from close range. They were then awarded a penalty which was saved by Jacob Richards, minutes later a long kick from the home keeper evaded everyone and a Wasps forward raced on to slot the ball home, half time 2-0. The second half was all Harleston with the Wasps hanging on until the final whistle, a penalty converted by Kieran Allum brought Harleston back into the game but with Lewis Taylor hitting the post and Dan Knox missing from close range this could have been a much different result. MoM: Oliver Heath.

HARLESTON U12 travelled to Waveney Youth C in good heart after beating the home side in the cup the previous week. Harleston started the game very well and pushed the home side back from the start. The home side were fortunate on two occasions when the keeper pushed a fine Craig Ellis shot onto the bar and a Morgan Robinson free kick also thudded the woodwork. Totally against the run of play moments before half-time a rare home attack resulted in them grabbing the lead. In the second half Harleston continued to press but after missing chances found themselves 2-0 down. Harleston pulled a goal back moments later through Ryan Shadbolt, however straight away the home side regained their two goal advantage. Harleston pressed forward, having a shot cleared off the line before Ryan Shadbolt scored his second and the goal of the game. Despite totally dominating they were unable to force a deserved equaliser. Ryan Shadbolt claimed MoM but again the side played well and were very unfortunate not to take anything from the game.

HARLESTON U9 travelled to Waveney Youth F for the first time this season, looking for their fifth straight win, and go tit with a 4-0 scoreline. In a first-half performance that saw Harleston create numerous chances they were denied time and time again by Waveney's superb keeper. Finally Harleston managed to break down Waveney with some good work on the right by H Warner. From his cross Waveney were unable to clear and turned the ball into their own net. Harleston kept the pressure on with some lovely football in the middle of the park from F Boreham, J Ling, K Harvey releasing H Warner to score two more goals giving them a 3-0 lead. Harleston started the second half as they finished the first keeping Waveney's goalkeeper very busy. K Harvey's left-foot free-kick beat everyone only to come back off the crossbar. Then some excellent three- touch football led to F Boreham scoring Harleton's best team goal. Excellent goalkeeping especially in the first half from B Marjoram with great defending from H Robson, C Wells and MoM Jack Lester ensured Harleston kept their 100 per cent record going.

DISS TOWN U10 HAWKS dictated the play from the start against Hillside and came close on several occasions, with Charlie Stammers seeing his shot well saved. Steven Hines made some fine interceptions at the back but Hillside scored against the run of play and held on until half-time despite efforts from Lawrence Brown, one of which was tipped onto the bar. In the second half, Josh Goddard dealt well with Hillside's attacks and William Aitken was alert in goal. The Hawks piled forward and had a series of near misses, with MoM Sam Hunt hitting the post. The game seemed lost until the last minute, when Will Smith's shot was pushed out to Jamie Channell, who rifled home the rebound. A draw was the least the Hawks deserved from a thrilling match. Full time: 1-1.

HEMPNALL U12 travelled to Oulton Broad to play Waveney in a Division One league match and came away with a well- earned three points. Dan Babington opened the scoring. Callum Maloney received the ball down the left beating two defenders before sliding the ball across the keeper for Dan to scramble into the net. Hempnall had dealt well with several in-swinging corners but failed to hang on to their lead when Waveney were allowed to run through to equalise. Back came Hempnall with Oli Newson running through the defence from midfield only to be thwarted at the last moment as he looked odds on to score. Dan was again played through the Waveney defence and this time he coolly slotted the ball into the bottom corner to give Hempnall a half-time lead. In the second half with the slope Waveney exerted more pressure on the Hempnall defence leading to several good saves from keeper Joel Brooks. Just as Hempnall thought they had weathered the storm Waveney ran through to equalise. Hempnall restored their lead from the kick-off when the ball was played wide to Callum who then passed it through the defence to Ben Allen who beat the advancing keeper to the ball, leaving him with a simple tap-in. Ethan Humphrey played extremely well in defence. Final score 3-2 to Hempnall.

SCOLE LADS U10 beat Attleborough 3-2. A classic game of two halves. Scole took early control of the game and deservedly went ahead when a good corner from Charlie Hitch went in via a deflection off an Attleborough defender. Another excellent Hitch corner was met by a great header from Kieran Manning which doubled Scole's advantage. Attleborough then dominated the second half and they pulled a goal back. Scole failed to respond and the scores were level with five minutes left when Matt Perry was left stranded by his defence. This finally sparked Scole back into life with MoM Manning running through the defence to score a great solo effort.

SCOLE LADS U10 beat Firside 7-0. Scole were awarded an early penalty for handball, Hitch dispatching coolly. Man of the match Ellis Pullinger was nearly rewarded for his performance with a goal, his effort being saved but Lewis Burrows finished from close range. Joe Baker made a good save and his clearance released Kyle Hanusiak who found Hitch, who teed up Thomas Brown to finish. A stabbed effort from Hitch made it four and the same player crossed for Manning to head in number five. Daniel Whyman's clearance then cleared the fence and hit a Honda Civic on Middleton Lane before Brown added his second and Scole's sixth. Manning scored the last and best goal of the day to make it 7-0 with a screamer into the top corner.

SCOLE LADS U16 beat Costessey 6-2. Despite starting well Scole soon found themselves a goal down. Scole soon picked themselves up and got back into the game with a well-taken goal from Ben Sheppard. With Ben Williamson, Luke Barraclough, Max Chenery and Cameron McGhie dominating midfield it was McGhie who put Scole ahead with a cool finish. Luke Barraclough then put Scole further ahead before half time. With Reece Lanchester, Tristan Tumer, Oliver Lawton and Ben Broadley controlling things at the back Deon Wallace broke free and scored. Ben Sheppard then made it five, Will Bacon then made a great save before he was beaten for Costessey to pull one back. Deon Wallace then completed the scoring with a fantastic finish to cap a great all-round display of team work for Scole. MoM: Deon Wallace.

SCOLE U12 beat Bulldogs 5-3. Despite having early possession Scole were unable to convert the many chances they had to score and Bulldogs took every advantage and soon became 3-0 up. Scole looked deflated until Jake Wootton netted a penalty and shortly afterwards converted a 25-yard free kick into a top corner to make it 3-2. The second half saw a more confident Scole side come out fighting with some great runs and shots by Gregor Shiperlee. Josh Driver battled hard and headed in the equaliser after his shot hit the bar. With good teamwork Jack Payne soon put Scole ahead after the ball managed to cross the line after hitting the goalie and post .Some great passing play by Sean Dundas and Matty Monkhouse allowed Alan Everett to give Scole a well-deserved win 5-3. All boys showed great attitude and commitment in turning this game around. MoM: Alan Everett. Manager's MoM: Joshua Driver.

SCOLE U13 beat Horsford 11-0. This was a match Scole dominated from start to finish, there were some excellent performances from Mat Harper and Daniel Wyles in defence, Max Turner in midfield. The MoM award went to Aiden Shaen Carter for his effort, work rate and superb finishing which resulted in him scoring five goals. Laurence Breeze came on as sub and scored a well-deserved hat-trick, the other goals by Oscar Marshall, Charlie Deakin and Mat Harper.

SCOLE LADS U18 lost to Trimley 4-2. A depleted Scole threw this game away after taking a comfortable 2-0 lead in the first half. The game started with Scole dominating play without creating too many clear-cut chances but the couple that did come their way weren't taken and it was left to a magnificent shot from Jack Stevenson from his own half that dipped over the keeper's head into the goal to put them into the lead. This was followed by a 20-yard shot from Brendan Head that the keeper couldn't hold to put Scole 2-0 up. The visitors let their hosts back into the game late in the first half when Trimley pulled a goal back from a corner. The least said about the second-half the better except to say Alex Blakely worked his socks off to try and ignite a downbeat Scole team but to no avail as the home team scored three more to take the game 4-2. MoM: Alex Blakely.

LONG STRATTON U10 entertained Shrublands B and were 2-0 up after just five minutes. J Bemrose found himself in space with a long through ball from B Whiting and soon after Bemrose turned provider, this time for Z Sawyer. Stratton found the second half a little more testing with K Cleverly and H Grimsley having to soak up some pressure. Shrublands hit the bar with a penalty. The game then went end to end with B Whiting seeing a 15-yard effort hit the bar and Shrublands eventually pulling a goal back to make it 2-1. With one minute left Stratton won a corner and from a pin-point delivery H Nye powered a header into the top left corner. GLS MoM: H Nye.