Division One leaders Castle Acre Swifts back to winning ways

Things got back to normal with a nearly full league programme after some clubs had taken a break over the festive season on top of the number of matches postponed in recent week because of waterlogged pitches.

Division One leaders Castle Acre Swifts got back to winning ways with a convincing 9-3 home win over Thetford Rovers Reserves. Second-placed Morley Village beat Swaffham Town A 3-2 and North Elmham are up to third after beating Tacolneston 2-0. Shipdham move up a place to fourth following their 4-2 success at Rockland United and Dereham Town A are up to fifth after a 5-2 home win over Bridgham United. Northwold S&SC edged home against Yaxham by the odd goal of three and bottom team Narborough welcomed in the new year with their first win of the season beating Gressenhall 3-1.

Division Two leaders Rampant Horse reversed their recent poor run with a 2-0 home win over Sporle. Nostro beat Bawdeswell by the only goal of the game and are now up to second. Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves won 2-0 at Necton and Hethersett Athletic won 2-1 at bottom team Saham Toney Reserves. The division has been further depleted by the withdrawal of Tugas United from Thetford who cited lack of player commitment as their reason for folding.

The top three in Division Three all won. Leaders Attleborough Athletic won by the odd goal of three at Great Cressingham, second-placed Litcham beat Wendling 6-1 at home and Watton United A ran out 2-0 home winners over Rockland United Reserves. Splitz United’s recent good run came to an end at the hands of Colkirk who won a very entertaining and open game 2-1. As a result, Weeting move up to fourth place, having beaten North Elmham Reserves 3-1 and Hingham Athletic Reserves are up to fourth after their 2-1 home win over Methwold United. The bottom two met in the other match and Marham Wanderers came out on top with a 4-2 win over Narborough Reserves, a result which lifts them out of the relegation places.

Walsingham United are up to second in Division Four after their 5-0 win at Shipdham Reserves moving above Yaxham Reserves who went down to a 4-2 home defeat at the hands of Feltwell United Reserves. Dereham Cockers United won 4-2 at Tacolneston Reserves and Castle Acre Swifts Reserves beat bottom team Methwold United Reserves 6-1.

There were mixed fortunes for the last three surviving teams from the league with an interest in the Norfolk Primary Cup. In the quarter finals, Scarning United made it to the last four with a 2-0 win at West End while Stoke Ferry went out by the only goal of the game at William Burt.