Draw a fair result for Mousehold

Mousehold 2, Costessey Crown 2This Division One game started energetically, with Mousehold getting the first attempt on goal, but the play was end to end from the off.

Mousehold 2, Costessey Crown 2

This Division One game started energetically, with Mousehold getting the first attempt on goal, but the play was end to end from the off.

It was Costessey Crown who started the scoring after just six minutes with a strike from just beyond the penalty spot, straight through the defence and the keeper.

Sixteen minutes later, they scored again, when they took control of the ball following a Mousehold throw-in, taking it straight up the pitch.

The Mousehold defence just wasn't quick enough to get back leaving the striker free to take a shot at the goal, straight down the middle in a goal bearing a disturbing resemblance to the first.

Twelve minutes into the second half Ian Hipperson came off for Stevie Wildey, and it was only three minutes later that substitute Stevie, in only his second appearance for the club, put Mousehold on the score-sheet.

Most Read

Costessey had a throw-in right in front of the Mousehold goal, Mousehold cleared it up the line where Stevie collected it and charged up the pitch, outrunning the Costessey defence to leave him one-on-one with the Costessey keeper. He made no mistake and placed it in the bottom left corner.

For the next five minutes Mousehold were clearly in control and had a couple of further chances, mainly mistakes by the Costessey keeper, but they weren't able to get the ball in the back of the net.

On 69 minutes Costessey wasted a free kick from only just outside the Mousehold penalty area by kicking it high and wide.

Just three minutes later in an almost exact reversal of the free kick, Brett Macey made sure that Mousehold didn't waste their chance - he executed it with precision, over all the players and curled it in under the crossbar on the far side of the goal.

The energy on the pitch was palpable: Nicky Tyrrell was working hard to set up chances in front of goal, Peter Wilkes putting in a great performance in defence but also being instrumental in several convincing attacks on the Costessey goal.

All the players were putting their heart and soul into the game, as both teams drove hard for that decisive third goal; the tackles were physical, and the play focused.

The Costessey keeper was kept the busier of the two by far for the remainder of the game, and it was due to his efforts that the game finished 2-2, a fair result on the day.

Man of the Match: Nick Tyrrell, with special mention of Peter Wilkes for his efforts.

Mousehold Reserves 0, Costessey Sports 6

In this Division Two game Mousehold settled into the game quicker than Costessey Sports, and had the first chance to go in front but were not able to force the ball over the line.

Costessey took the lead after 10 minutes when the Mousehold keeper slipped and fumbled the ball into the path of the Costessey striker who put it into an empty net.

After that Mousehold was unable to get back into the game, Costessey pressed for more goals and the score was 3-0 at half time - it would have been 4-0 if not for a goal-line clearance by Dan Tolliday.

The Mousehold performance was better in the second half, and although they did not score they put several moves together and again were unlucky not to get on the score-sheet. Costessey got three more in the half to make the final score 6-0.

Man of the Match: Barry Woods for his never-say-die attitude and a goal-line clearance.