MATCHDAY RECAP: England U21s 5 Austria U21s 1 – City star plays an hour of qualifying win
- Credit: PA
Max Aarons starts for the England Under-21s in his home town of Milton Keynes this evening – and you can follow the Norwich City star’s progress with us, during a crucial qualifier against Austria.
Aarons won his first England U21 cap last month when he played all of a 3-2 win in Turkey which got the Young Lions' Euro 2021 qualification campaign off to a good start.
The right-back was then named man of the match as Aidy Boothroyd's team beat Kosovo 2-0 in another qualifier in Hull, coming off with 10 minutes remaining after hurting his ankle making a goal-saving block at 1-0.
Canaries team-mates Ben Godfrey and Todd Cantwell were involved in those games as well but minor injuries kept both out of the current U21 squad.
Aarons was one of four front-line players withdrawn at half-time of Friday's 2-2 friendly draw in Slovenia, with tonight's qualifier against Group Three leaders Austria in mind - who have played a game more.
You may also want to watch:
The 19-year-old came off at the break alongside Chelsea star Callum Hudso-Odoi, Burnley winger Dwight McNeil and Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah, who is on loan at Leeds, all of whom are also playing regular first-team football.
Other Premier League regulars in the squad include Everton midfielder Tom Davies, Manchester City's rising star Phil Foden and Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale.
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 5 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 6 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- You can follow updates from Stadium MK above