MATCHDAY RECAP: England U21s 5 Austria U21s 1 – City star plays an hour of qualifying win
- Credit: PA
Max Aarons starts for the England Under-21s in his home town of Milton Keynes this evening – and you can follow the Norwich City star’s progress with us, during a crucial qualifier against Austria.
Aarons won his first England U21 cap last month when he played all of a 3-2 win in Turkey which got the Young Lions' Euro 2021 qualification campaign off to a good start.
The right-back was then named man of the match as Aidy Boothroyd's team beat Kosovo 2-0 in another qualifier in Hull, coming off with 10 minutes remaining after hurting his ankle making a goal-saving block at 1-0.
Canaries team-mates Ben Godfrey and Todd Cantwell were involved in those games as well but minor injuries kept both out of the current U21 squad.
Aarons was one of four front-line players withdrawn at half-time of Friday's 2-2 friendly draw in Slovenia, with tonight's qualifier against Group Three leaders Austria in mind - who have played a game more.
You may also want to watch:
The 19-year-old came off at the break alongside Chelsea star Callum Hudso-Odoi, Burnley winger Dwight McNeil and Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah, who is on loan at Leeds, all of whom are also playing regular first-team football.
Other Premier League regulars in the squad include Everton midfielder Tom Davies, Manchester City's rising star Phil Foden and Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 4 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 5 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 7 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- You can follow updates from Stadium MK above