Evening News Sunday League round-up

In the Premier Division, leaders Marlborough's excellent start to the season continued with a 2-0 win at Poringland Wanderers. Scorers B Soames and R George outstanding among a very organised bunch of lads.

In the Premier Division, leaders Marlborough's excellent start to the season continued with a 2-0 win at Poringland Wanderers.

Scorers B Soames and R George outstanding among a very organised bunch of lads. From the Marlborough club, “best football side they have been involved with”. Second place Dog House keep their place on goal difference over Quebec Rovers although Dog House lost 2-0 to Norman Wanderers. Good all round performance from Normans. The defence was solid, midfield well organised and the forwards were always a threat and deserved the three points. Scorers: Shane Abrahams, Craig Topley. Quebec Rovers in third place won 3-2 at The Grove. Two goals from Gavin Bland and one from Richard Brett gave them a commanding lead but The Grove hit back in the 60th and 70th minute to put Quebec under great pressure.

After three defeats, Unthank Arms recorded a 6-1 win at Bertrams. Unthank led 3-0 after an hour through goals from Danny Hawkie, Chris Sandle and Paul Dodimead. Unthank Arms went on to score three more goals through Danny Hawkie, Nick Belgrave and an own goal.

AFC Wanderers and Hethersett Ath drew 2-2. AFC led 2-0 at half time with goals from D Potter and C Ritchie. Hethersett scored two goals late on to earn a draw; Matt Steward scored their goals. Salhouse Rovers won 6-3 against Mattishall YCOB with goals from N Woolner 3, O Harper 2, S Brighton.

You may also want to watch:

In Division 1A, leaders Hellesdon Athletic got a 6-0 win over Silver Fox. Goals from Darren Smith 3, Danny Shafiyan 2, Mark Cornfield. Aylsham Black Boys in second place drew 1-1 with third placed Hainford YCOB; not many chances either end resulting in a draw. Aylsham's goal came from Will Stewart and Hainford's goal came from David Robinson. Windmill Wanderers got a 4-2 win over Norwich CEYMS. Windmill led 2-0 at half time. CEYMS pulled one back then went 3-1 down and got a second to make it 3-2 but Windmill with a late goal made it 4-2. Scorers: Dominic Sanders 2, Nathan Joy, Louis Warnes. CEYMS scorers: A Saddleton and N Makuve. Norwich Busmen, playing North Walsham Town for the second week running, gained quick revenge for the previous week's defeat by winning 2-1. Busmen took an early lead when Danny Bridgewood forced the ball home. Walsham came back to score through David Hinton to make it 1-1 at half time. Second half Shaun Swatman scored the winner for Busmen after good work from Bridgewood and Mathew Sewell. First win for Angel Gardens, a 3-2 victory over Champion Ath. Their scorers: Neil Steward 2, Chris Sharpe. Champion goals: I Babb and A Tidnam.

In the Division 1B clash, leaders Costessey Sports drew 1-1 with second place Wymondham Rangers. Costessey's goal: Paul Lewis. Wymondham's goal: Ben Eyre. The official appointed referee failed to turn up which did not help with a top clash like this. Third place Sprowston Wanderers got a 4-2 win at Manor Park; J Moy, A Moffat, B Watkins and N Spelman getting Sprowston goals. Acle Rangers got a point in a 2-2 draw at Unicorns. Acle's goals: Daniel Foreman, Gerald Mynett. Unicorn goals: M Howard 2. Hillside OB battled out a 4-4 draw with Poringland Wanderers Reserves. Hillside goals: D Jervis 2, K Acupahauk, R Garhut. Poringland goals: Ben Mouncer 2, Robin Griffiths, og. First win for Prince of Denmark, a 2-1 victory against Haig FC. Chris Holmes scored two goals for Denmark; Matthew Reynolds getting Haig.

Most Read

In Division 2A, Gilson Bailey leaders went down 2-0 at home to Green Man where only the previous Sunday Gilson won 2-1 at Green Man - funny old game! Green's goals: C Everett and S Crowe. Second place Norman Wanderers Res won 4-0 at Aslacton and Gt Moulton. Once Norman scored the first goal they took control of the game. Scorers: Lee Barnes 2, Neil Alexander, Daniel Pilgrim. Aslacton played very well in long periods of the game but had no luck in the last third of the field. Aslacton's MoM, James Tuck. Farmhouse won 1-0 at AFC Norwich. Farmhouse scored just before half time through K Hume.

Plasterers Arms got a 5-3 win over The Griffin with goals from Gary Curtis, Martyn Carver, Bradley Perrie, Matt Watson and Mathew Powell. Acle Wanderers went down 4-1 at home to Nelson. Scorers: J Richardson 2, J Latimer, R Yallop. Acle's goal: Ryan Flint.

In Division 2B, leaders Ketts Tavern went down 5-1 at Norfolk CCS. Scorers: Scott Woodcock 4, Ben Morgan. Second place Earlham United won 7-0 against Costessey Sports Res. Scorers: Scott West 5, Liam Brown, Simon Hailey. Old Catton got a 4-2 win at Thorpe Rovers. Their MoM, debut, Liam Blackell who scored all four goals. Drayton had a 6-2 win over Bayer. Goals from A James 4, O Forkes 2. Bayer's goals: B Williamson 2. Acle Rangers Res beat bottom club North Walsham OB by 2-0 with goals from Robbie Simmonds 2, Horsford Social Club went down 4-3 to Spixworth. Horsford goals: David Hammond, Stew Halton and Simon Bryant. On to Division 3A where Deopham lead the table with their fifth win, 5-3 against Reepham Sunday. Goals for Deopham: N Stannard, C Fraser, A Sandell, C Butler, L Kirby. Second place Norman Wanderers A won 2-0 against Brickmakers.

Third place Coachmakers Arms won 3-2 at Stoke. A very tight game won by the odd goal. Coachmakers had a penalty saved. Coachmakers' goals: Michael Crosby 2.

Newsman Celtic won 3-0 at home to Mad Moose Arms. Newsman took the lead in the first half courtesy of a Matt Ware goal. In the changeover Newsman scored from the penalty spot through Robbie Powell and Matt Ware got his second to make it 3-0. A much improved Mad Moose side were disappointed to lose 3-0. Mention goes to Chris Goodwin, Steve Mannington, Dan Littleboy, Ben Burgess and Ricky Averill. Coltishall Colts made it three wins out of three played. Their latest a 6-3 win over DCS Rapid. Will Abbs scored a hat trick for them, others from W Callow, P Sizer, S Walls. DCS goals: Brett Kingsbury 2, Dolf Telintelo.

In Division 3B, leaders St Faiths dropped their first points in drawing 3-3 with Sprowston Rovers. St Faiths goals: Matty Egleton 2, Danny Tanti. Sprowston's Adam Willimott, Sean Dugdale and Ben Graver. Second place Wymondham Rangers Res won 7-2 against Dynamo Denmark. Scorers: Danny Whitman 3, Luke Rackham, Shaun Overall, Jamie Speller and an own goal. Hingham went down 4-2 at home to Aylsham Sunday. Aylsham led twice in the first half. Goalie Tom Brett made a full length save for Aylsham and captain T Gardiner made it 3-2 and Joe Wilkes finished the game off with a 30-yard Hethersett Ath Res. Hethersett defenders did a good job of keeping Unicorns at bay much of the game but the team couldn't break down a steadfast Unicorns defence.

Ribs of Beef had a 4-2 win at Felmingham Ath. Ribs' goals: G White 2, O Bennison, I Robson. PL Players shared the points in a 3-3 draw with Wilco Fast Fit. Michael Adcock scored a hat trick for Wilco. Rangers' goals: C Leveridge 2, Tony Cook.

In Division 4A, leaders Dereham Wanderers won 4-0 at Temple Bar. Scorers: Ryan Hardy, Ricky Forder, Chris Miller, Jon Barnes. The Firs got a 4-1 win at Pulham United. Upton won 4-0 at AFC Mousehold. Goals from M Lake, I Nelson, L Willis and L Nelson. Two goals from P Gorbould gave Bowthorpe Ath their first win, a 2-0 victory against Silver Fox Res. Heartsease Casuals won 6-3 against Branford Arms.

In Division 4B, leaders Moles Rest beat Mischief Tavern. Second place AFC Rompers won 2-1 at Freethorpe. Mill House won by the odd goal, 2-1 at Hethersett Ath A. Taverham won 4-3 at AFC Oak. Salhouse Rovers Res found themselves 1-0 down against Dancing Farmers but came back to win 4-1; Phillip Fordham 2, Daniel Connelly 2. Farmers' goal: M Linsdell.


At home to Acle Rangers, a player shortage meant Dale Skiggs took the gloves again and David Emms returned to central defence. Kirk Bagge, captain for the day, elected to kick down the slope and Unicorns played neat football in the build-up play but couldn't put the finishing touch by adding a goal. This arrived when Matt Howard took an inswinging corner which the keeper could only help into the net. Acle kept pushing forward but Bagge and Smith were strong in midfield and with Brandon standing firm in defence Dale Skiggs remained untroubled. In the second half Andy Hawes chased down and blocked a defender's clearance, Matt Howard picked up the loose ball, took it in his stride and lifted the perfect lob over the keeper to extend the lead 2-0. Dale Skiggs made a brilliant one-on-one save but was then beaten by a shot from a narrow angle to make it 2-1. Acle were not to be denied and when a long free-kick was punted forward it sailed over a packed penalty area to bounce in front of the keeper and up into the roof of the net for the equaliser. MoM Brandon Mackins.


For the second consecutive week Unicorns played a good, young team and managed to come out on top. Having defeated Aylsham the previous weekend 2-0 (Paul Wood 2) Unicorns again had tough opponents in the shape of Hethersett who played the game in the correct manner and kept going until the end. Unicorns started the game the stronger but could not finish a couple of decent opportunities. After 20 minutes the referee arrived as he had gone to an incorrect ground (Thanks to Joe Sayer for starting the game up to this point).

Unicorns broke the deadlock just before half-time with a good header from a corner by Martin Shaw. Man of the match was among many good performances Martin Shaw.


AFC faced Unthank and looked back to their best with some good passing and attacking football. C Ritchie put AFC one up with a fine left foot shot, D Gray grabbed a brace with two well taken goals and C Ritchie grabbed his second before the break. D Potter scored AFC's fifth and C Ritchie volleyed home for his first hat-trick for the club. D Gray had a goal disallowed just before J Cork scored the seventh. TL Roofing MoM: C Ritchie.


AFC welcomed Hethersett to Eaton Park and raced into a two goal half-time lead with strikes from D Potter and D Gray. Hethersett made the most of AFC's missed chances in the second period and earned a share of the points with two goals from direct balls into the box. TL Roofing MoM went jointly to B Finch and D Gray.


With both teams flying high and unbeaten at the top of Division1A this was always going to be an exciting encounter. Wymondham were forced to make wholesale changes in defence which saw the introduction of Hill and Whitwham into the first team squad. Despite Rangers being on top Costessey always looked dangerous but Webb, Hill and Priest worked hard defensively to limit any attempts on goal. Wymondham continued to expose Costessey's defensive frailties but were unable to capitalise and both teams went in goalless at the interval. The breakthrough came after Brown struck the ball superbly on his weaker foot from distance, the Costessey keeper was only able to palm the ball straight into the path of Eyre who produced a great strike from a narrow angle to put Rangers in the lead. With the last play of the game Costessey mounted an attack after the ball appeared to leave the pitch by a good few yards. From this they scored with the last kick of the game to equalise.

t SPIXWORTH SUNDAY welcomed table-topping Drayton last Sunday. Theo put the hosts ahead early on. Despite controlling procedures, it was Drayton who scored next from an indisputable penalty. However, Theo promptly restored Spixworth's advantage with a neat lob. Theo then claimed his third before the visitors clawed a goal back as the hosts deviated temporarily from their game plan. The managerial dream team of Gilly and Batesy got the plan back on track, with Briggo and Theo again “bagging” to see Spixworth romp home 5-2 winners.

The club are saddened to hear the news of Shaun Bunn's tragic death while playing for Sprowston Wanderers Reserves. Bunny, an ex-keeper of our club was not only a great keeper, but also a great bloke and our thoughts are with his loved ones.


Norton, whose good early season form meant that they went into this match against the reigning champions as a top-of-the-table clash. However, when you play the best team in the league you need your best team on the field and this was something that could not happen, as Norton were missing captain Andy Boggis, Phil Squire, Richard Hudson and Dan Anderson. Camden Tavern fully deserved their victory. Norton did, however, get off to a flyer, taking the lead inside the first minute with a goal of the season contender as Andy Green let fly from more than 30 yards. With 15 minutes gone, Camden started to take control. The equaliser came as a deep cross from Dane Whitley saw Gary Todd head home, and then within minutes they had scored again to take the lead. Camden got a killer third five minutes before the interval as Luke Gorham picked up a loose ball, cut inside and fired across Rob.

Rob Hills went up front to add more presence and on came substitute keeper Robinson. This nearly had an instant impact as Rob slid Ryan through but he could only pull his shot across the face of goal. Camden punished Norton for this miss as they went up the other end and scored. Steve Nicol could only head short when trying to play back and the loose ball was pounced on for 4-1. Camden then had Norton all at sea and struck the bar before making it 5-1. On the hour mark Camden scored a sixth and this was how the game remained.


This match was always going to be difficult for Norton as they were paired with Premier Division opponents in the Knock-Out Cup.

The difference in class and, in particular the finishing, became apparent as early as the sixth minute when a pinpoint cross from the left wing was headed in at close range by Andy Reed. Woody conceded a free-kick on the edge of the area after 10 minutes and the resultant cross saw another header fly in from close range. Lowestoft scored their third with another fine cross being headed in at the far post. Two further goals followed to see Norton down 5-0 at half-time and the game effectively over as a contest.


With the moles of Norton finishing their game, it was down to the main event to progress hopefully through the first round of the Primary Cup, that was after we had removed the 40 or more mole-hills from the pitch prior to kick off. Midway through the first half, Norton had the breakthrough. John Green in midfield picked up the ball and threaded it to Simon Tarver up front. He in turn squared the pass to Gary Crisp, who duly found the back of the net. A long ball from the keeper bounced in front of the Costessey right back, deceiving him and allowing Gary to get in behind him and from the edge of the box drive a superb shot into the top left corner. Half-time: 2-0.

Norton's persistent pressure was rewarded when the keeper only managed to parry a shot from Rory, enabling Tarver to tap in for the third.

Anthony was replaced by Sean Higginbotham, who soon made his presence felt when he pulled the ball back to Green on the edge of the box, who made it 4-0. Rory capped a fine performance with Norton's fifth and final goal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus