Ex-Norwich City boss Alex Neil becomes Preston boss
- Credit: PA
Alex Neil has been confirmed as manager of Norwich City’s Championship rivals Preston on a 12-month rolling contract.
The Scot returns to the game at Deepdale after his departure from Norwich in March last season and replaces the departed Simon Grayson, who joined Sunderland earlier this week.
The 36-year-old will be officially unveiled at a press conference on Wednesday afternoon before a watching brief at Friday’s friendly against Bamber Bridge. Preston have confirmed Neil will work with the club’s current coaching staff of first team coach Steve Thompson, goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly, fitness coach Tom Little and physio Matt Jackson.
“I’ve looked at this opportunity and seen that the club has made progress for four years running and I am looking forward to trying to continue that progress,” Neil said, speaking to North End’s official site. “It is a really good challenge for me. I have been involved in a lot of big games in a short space of time and hopefully we can be involved in a lot more big games here at Preston North End.
“Taking over a job in this situation means we have a confident squad that have been performing well over the last couple of seasons. There will not be a task of trying to lift the players, they have shown they are a good team and they can compete at this level and my job is to come in and try and help them improve as individuals and improve us as a club and hopefully try and push further up the league.
You may also want to watch:
“The ultimate aim for any club in the Championship is to try and get promoted at some stage. The club has been stable in the Championship for the last two years and you never know what is going to happen in the next year or two, but we want to try and build a side and a squad that is capable of competing at the top end of the Championship and if we can get a bit of momentum, you never know where you can end up.”
City is not scheduled to meet Preston this season until November 25 in the Championship.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 4 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 7 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 8 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 9 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder