Extra special Howell effort for Magpies

Chris Lakey FA VASE & RIDGEONS LEAGUE: Ridgeons League top two Dereham and Lowestoft moved safely into the fourth round of the FA Vase after picking up home wins on Saturday.

Chris Lakey

Ridgeons League top two Dereham and Lowestoft moved safely into the fourth round of the FA Vase after picking up home wins on Saturday.

The Magpies needed extra-time before seeing off Molesley 3-1, while last season's runners-up Lowestoft beat Harefield United 2-1.

Dereham found themselves behind early on when Matt Baxter netted for Molesey. But just before half-time, Danny Beaumont - on his 19th birthday - was upended in the area before he picked himself up to despatch the resulting penalty.

You may also want to watch:

After a goalless second half, Dereham took the lead nine minutes into extra-time when Nicky Howell scored with a low shot. Howell then made it safe in the 105th minute, guiding home Beaumont's header from close range.

Lowestoft's dominant first half performance was enough to see them to victory.

Most Read

Goals from Ross King and Richard Woodrow gave them a 2-0 lead at the break - and they could even afford a rare penalty miss from Darren Cockrill. Harefield fought back in the second half and scored with a penalty 15 minutes from time, but the Blues held out to book their place in today's lunchtime draw.

Kirkley & Pakefield increased the pressure on the top two in the Ridgeons Premier Division after one of their main rivals lost valuable ground.

Nick Shorten's side beat visiting Wisbech 2-1, to move above Walsham-le-Willows, who suffered a surprise 3-0 home defeat by Tiptree.

K&P are now just two points behind Dereham, with two games in hand - but that could change on Wednesday when the two sides meet at Walmer Road. Lowestoft remain 10 points ahead of Dereham.

Nathan Stone put K&P in control at half-time against Wisbech, scoring the opener in the first minute and then seeing a shot from 18 yards take a deflection off a defender for the second in injury-time, after Wisbech had levelled through Lewis Thompson on 25 minutes.

Mid-table Wroxham, who have announced former reserve team boss Andy Baker as their new manager following the departure of Damian Hilton, beat Haverhill 3-1 at Trafford Park.

Wroxham broke the deadlock on 40 minutes when a Gavin Lemmon glancing header went in at the near post, but then saw midfielder Lee Manning sent off for stamping on an opponent.

Both teams appeared to be waiting for the half-time whistle when a clash in the centre of the park ended with Manning recklessly lifting his feet on Challis and after consulting with his assistant, referee Nigel Smith brandished the red card.

Andy Key came on at the start of the second half and with his first two touches scored twice in almost as many minutes.

His first was a long looping lob from the far left which cannoned off an upright into the visitors' goal, then almost straight from the kick off he made it 3-0 with a left-foot drive.

Haverhill pulled one back in the 75th minute through Louis Harper.

Baker will be assisted in his new role by Bob Malone, while Mark Wilkinson has returned to the club to run the reserves.

Elsewhere, Mildenhall were 2-0 winners at CRC, Felixstowe & Walton United lost 4-1 at home to Histon Reserves and Whitton United were 6-0 winners at Harwich & Parkeston.

In Division One, Yarmouth were beaten 4-0 at leaders Newmarket, after trailing by one at the break.

Diss beat Swaffham 2-0. Steve Wright put the Tangerines ahead after 11 minutes with George Wilson getting the second, following up after Adie Hayes' 73rd-minute penalty had been saved.

Fakenham beat Godmanchester 2-0 to climb off the bottom, above Swaffham. Nick Haynes gave Fakenham a half-time lead, with Karl Pask's header on 63 minutes sealing only the second league win of the season for the Ghosts.

Struggling Downham drew 2-2 at home to second-placed Hadleigh, while Thetford's match at Halstead was postponed.

n Ross Kelly scored an injury-time winner for King's Lynn Reserves as they beat Norwich United 1-0 in a Norfolk Senior Cup fourth round replay.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus