Extra time dramas as Cup finalists decided

AFC Wanderers will face Acle Rangers in the final of this year’s Copy I.T. League Cup as both sides won their semi finals in dramatic fashion this weekend.

After an even first half; Aaron Kay put AFC ahead with 20 minutes left, only for Isaac Catchpole to equalise five minutes later. The game went into extra time and saw Normans reduced to ten men after a clash, but they took the lead when Danny Wynne fired home. With time running out Luke Tuttle pushed forward and was rewarded with the equaliser when he headed home a long throw from close range. The penalty shoot out saw AFC deadly from the spot and they reached the final winning 5-4. In the other semi final Bayer FC held a one goal half-time lead at home to Acle Rangers, but the visitors grabbed an equaliser through James Foreman to take the game into extra time, where a Peter Nobbs penalty two minutes from the end put Acle through to the final which will be held at the Football Development Centre on May 5.

In the Premier Division, Marlborough moved three points clear at the top with a 4-2 (Jason Armes 3, Colin Wines) victory over Dog House.

In 1A, four goals by Gary Walsh ensured that Windmill Wanderers will finish in a play off spot at least as they beat second placed Sprowston Sunday 4-1. Windmill face Norman Wanderers, the only side that can catch them, next week. Despite a goal from Shaun Plant, Horsford United came back from North Walsham with a 2-1 defeat, Colm McGilway grabbed both for the home side.

In 1B, Acle Rangers Reserves completed their season with a 4-1 win over Unicorns, whilst Sprowston Wanderers scored four without reply against Spixworth Sunday, a result that means Moles Rests 4-1 home win over Rose Tavern sees them move off of the bottom of the table.

You may also want to watch:

In 2A, Norman Wanderers finished their season with a 3-1 victory over New Buckenham, whilst Riverside Rovers won 8-4 at Constable Crusaders to move within a point of Mad Moose.

It wasn’t the ideal warm up for next week’s Intermediate Cup Final for 2B champions Bell Inn as they lost 5-3 at home to SDC United. Briston finished their season with a 3-1 defeat at Salhouse Rovers, whilst Unicorns Reserves were 7-2 winners over Hillside OB.

Most Read

After winning the Suffolk Sunday Shield last week, congratulations go to Bungay Town as they clinched the 3A title with a 7-3 victory over Eaton Young Boys. Brooke’s 2-1 home defeat to Sporting Longdale means that they must get a point in their final game to pip today’s opponents to the runners up spot.

In 4A, Bungay Reserves made it a good day for the club by scoring six without reply against The Stores and CNSOBU Sunday were 2-0 winners over Brooke Reserves.

The last game of the season in 4B saw runners up Hethersett Athletic Reserves defeat Bunwell Sunday 4-1.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus