FA Cup adventures begin in the extra-preliminary round for Wroxham, Swaffham, Fakenham, Kirkley & Pakefield, Thetford and Gorleston
- Credit: Archant
Dreams of FA Cup glory begin today when several of our local clubs begin on the long road to Wembley in the extra-preliminary round.
It will be the first time Wroxham have had to tackle the very first hurdle of the competition in a number of years after returning to step five of the non-league pyramid.
The new era at Trafford Park kicked off with a solid goalless draw against Histon in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier Division on Tuesday night.
The Yachtsmen travel to Southend Manor this afternoon looking to build on their offensive side having kept their first clean sheet.
Joint manager Tom Parke, working alongside Ross Potter, expects his young team will face a tough match against a team who finished seventh in the Essex Senior League Premier Division last season.
You may also want to watch:
“I expect us to have to earn the right to get the ball on the floor and play,” said 31-year-old Parke. “I know my players will have to win their personal duels all over the pitch across the full duration of the game.”
His side will have to do so without the services of Adam Plumstead and Lewis Wallace though, while Craig Bussens and Payton Swatman will have late fitness tests.
- 1 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 2 Thankless task for makeshift striker Marco in Coventry draw
- 3 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 6 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Farke and the City curse
- 8 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 9 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 10 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
Fakenham will be looking to bounce back from a 3-0 home defeat to league new boys Coggeshall Town on the opening day when they welcome Wellingborough Town to Clipbush Park, who finished ninth in the United Counties League Premier Division last season.
Swaffham Town are also at home to a UCL Premier side, Rothwell Corinthians, who finished 16th in the last campaign. Swaffham started life in Thurlow Nunn Division One with a 6-1 home thrashing of Needham Reserves but were pegged back in a 3-2 defeat at Wisbech St Mary in midweek.
Kirkley and Pakefield face Thurlow Nunn Premier rivals Saffron Walden in their first match of the season but Thetford and Gorleston are both away.
Thetford travel to Eynesbury Rovers, in Cambridgeshire, having started their league campaign with a 3-1 win at Stanway ahead of a 2-1 loss at Gorleston on Tuesday, who head to Essex side Stanway in the cup today.