FA Cup misery for the Linnets

King's Lynn's hopes of a another good FA Cup run were dashed when they lost a tight game at Tamworth.

Tamworth 2, King's Lynn 1

King's Lynn's hopes of a another good FA Cup run were dashed when they lost a tight game at Tamworth this afternoonn.

The Linnets, who met up again with former boss Gary Mills, were hoping to improve on their poor league record in Staffordshire, having won just four of the 23 league fixtures played.

Captain Mark Warren had shrugged off the groin injury sustained at Halesowen on Tuesday and was passed fit to take his place in the Linnets' starting line-up.

You may also want to watch:

Michael Frew also shook off the effects of a knock and Matthew Nolan, rested in mid-week, was back in the squad.

Definitely out were Shaun Carey and Steve Melton while Greg Lake was added to the squad.

Most Read

The Lynn manager decided to keep the same line-up as that that was defeated at the Grove on Tuesday, which meant that Bloomfield kept his place.

Lynn, backed by about 200 travelling supporters, elected to kick up the slope in the first half.

Veiga, in the home goal, had to be quick off his line to kick clear as Bloomfield raced on to the ball.

The goal keeper again had to be alert when he left his goal to head to touch a teasing ball from Chapman.

Michael Frew beat a defender to force the game's first corner but Francis' effort came to nothing.

An interception by Williams almost caused a problem until Lynn defenders crowded him out.

Early play had shown that Lynn could match their higher league opponents and were not to be over-awed.

The first shot on target came from Francis after 14 minutes when fed by Turner, but Veiga made a competent stop.

For Lynn Camm picked up a loose ball to find Francis who in turn laid the ball off to Turner who almost beat Veiga as the keeper made yet another hurried clearance.

Lynn took a deserved lead in the 21st minute when Francis, after being picked out by West, showed fine individual skills to carry the ball on to beat Veiga from 25 yards with a hard low drive.

Michael Frew immediately won a corner taken by Francis, from which Warren was unlucky not to increase the lead with aheader.

Tamworth's full-back Lyttle put in a good cross from the flag to find Williams whose flick was tipped over the crossbar by Howie.

As Lynn broke on the right wing, Turner fired in a hard low cross which Danny Bloomfield was only inches away from converting.

When Charlie Defty went down injured after a clash with Robinson the centre-forward had a shooting chance, but his effort was high and wide.

Defty then had to be replaced by Greg Crane after 35 minutes. West caused alarm in the home defence with a good overlap with Frew but his cross was just too deep for the Lynn forwards.

Tamworth levelled right on half=time with a goal from centre-forward Robinson, whose low shot on the turn beat Howie at his near post. This after Sheldon had won the ball and crossed from the Tamworth left wing.

It was the Lambs' first shot on target and they could consider themselves lucky to go into the break at 1-1.

Early second half action saw Sheldon get in a good cross and Howie made a fine diving catch.

West, Fleming and Frew combined to give Turner a header which was deflected for a corner.

As the ball was cleared West was cautioned for a foul on Robinson.

By now Tamworth had made two substitutions. Lynn themselves made a further substitution after 63 minutes when Bloomfield was replaced by Nolan. Sheldon was beginning to cause the Lynn defence problems with his probing from the left wing as the home side now came more into the game.

A diagonal ball from West found Francis whose attempted cross was put out for a corner which again proved fruitless.

On 70 minutes John Turner had to limp off with an injury, to be replaced by Jack Defty.

On 71 minutes a quick clearance from the corner left the Lynn defence over-stretched and Dave Bampton picked his spot from the edge of the area to give the hosts a somewhat fortuitous lead.

Lynn replied with a through ball from Nolan which gave Jack Defty a run at goal but Smith got in a good saving tackle. At the other end Williams again tested Howie with Warren completing the clearance.

Lynn replaced Williams with Edwards who got clear and fired a low cross across the face of goal from which Robinson just failed to reach in his attempt for goal.

On 87 minutes Lynn forced another corner from which Howie moved up into the opposition area to chance his arm. The Lynn keeper did manage a shot at goal but it was charged down. Lynn forced one last corner but when Tamworth quickly broke on their right West had to be alert to prevent a two on one situation.

Chapman played the ball up to Jack Defty whose cushioned header to Craig Fleming gave the former Norwich man a shot on target but his effort lacked power. Fleming had one final effort which like Lynn's cup hopes sailed over the bar and out of the ground.

t Tamworth: Veiga, Lyttle, Langdom, Briscoe, Smith, Bampton, Nurse, Lemmon, Robinson, Williams, Sheldon.

Subs: Banes, Mills, Donaghey, Edwards, Sheridan.

t King's Lynn: Howie, West, Chapman, Warren, Charlie Defty, Camm, Frew, Fleming, Turner, Bloomfield, Francis.

Subs: Jack Defty, Fisk, Crane, Nolan, Murray.

t Referee: Mr J Adcock, Long Eaton.

t Attendance: 621.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus