Fab fightback sees Elmham win
Sprowston Ladies 6, North Elmham Ladies 7
North Elmham Ladies travelled to Sprowston looking for their first win of the season but when they found themselves 4-0 behind after only 30 minutes played, it looked game over.
North Elmham, were struggling to clear the ball from their penalty area and it resulted in two very sloppy goals being handed to Sprowston.
All credit to North Elmham they never gave up and when Jess Shand ran onto a high ball and slotted home she gave slight hope to the rest of the team. However when Nina Batchelor scored a second to make the score 3-2 North Elmham’s spirits really lifted and it made coach Justin Green’s team talk slightly more easier.
In the second half it was basically end-to-end football with both defences kept on their toes.
You may also want to watch:
Kerry Wright played an outstanding captain’s role, winning everything that came into her half and encouraging the girls to push forward.
Abbi Rollins and Michelle Frior (POM) had outstanding second halves alongside Kerry clearing the ball well which was lacking in the first half and when Jess added another two individual goals to take Elmham 4-3 into the lead everyone, including the many supporters that came along, felt it could be their day.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 7 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 8 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 9 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 10 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
North Elmham were beginning to improve all over the field with Alice Sergison in midfield and Leannda Powles and Kelli Fuller on the wings pegging Sprowston back into their half, reducing them to kicking long balls into the wind.
This play gave Jess more opportunities to run at the defence but despite adding two more goals to her tally Sprowston also added three to level the score 6-6 with only five minutes remaining.
Both teams went for the win but it was Elmham that took all three points when the keeper failed to hold onto the ball as it was sent into the penalty area and Nina Batchelor was there to slot into an empty net for the winner.