Fakenham get first win in new kit

Fakenham Town Ladies 4, Cambridge Women Res 3

Fakenham Town Ladies FC got their first win sporting their new kit.

They are pictured with Bill Clayton of National Pallet Service who kindly sponsored the ladies’ first team for the 2011/12 season.

All the ladies would like to thank Bill and National Pallet Service for supplying them with a fantastic kit to play in which they hope will bring them a successful season ahead.

The ladies took on Cambridge Women Res at Clipbush Park looking for their first win of the season after two draws.

The ladies welcomed three new players to the side making their league debuts in Ellen Collison, Nikki Dye and Debs Turner.

The ladies made a fast start to the match and quickly took control.

Most Read

The ladies were keeping the ball well and the movement off the ball was very good and causing the Cambridge defence lots of problems.

Chloe Riches twisted and turned her way around a couple of Cambridge defenders and hit a fierce shot from the edge of the box which beat the keeper but unfortunately bounced back out to safety off the crossbar.

Fakenham were camped in the Cambridge half and they got the breakthrough on 8mins when a good team move was put together.

Passes were exchanged in the middle of the park when Shelley Woods fed a ball into Riches on the edge of the area who held the ball up well before passing onto Kirsty Scott, who had made a late run into the area coming off the right wing, and coolly finished past the Cambridge keeper into the bottom corner.

The ladies were a little unlucky not to double their lead shortly after when Shelley Woods clipped a ball to the far post but it was just a little bit too high for her Emma Woods to get her head on it.

After this Fakenham soon found themselves on the back foot as Cambridge pushed forward and this led to Fakenham giving away two sloppy goals in a matter of minutes due to lack of concentration and hard work from all players.

Thankfully Fakenham did react in a positive nature and got themselves an equaliser just before half time when a powerful drive from Shelley Woods went through the keeper’s hands and high into the net.

Fakenham were forced into a change of keeper at half time with Kirsty Scott volunteering to take up the challenge. Kerrie Stevens replaced Debs Turner who did well at right back.

Fakenham quickly got themselves back into the lead, even if it was a bit fortunate with how it happened. Kirstie Smith won a free kick 30 yards out from goal after being fouled by a Cambridge defender after a good turn. Frankie Walder stepped up for the free kick looking to send a ball towards the far post it went direct at goal bounced in front of the keeper who had mis-read the flight and the ball found its way into the net.

The game became patchy with both teams struggling to put good quality moves together. Cambridge resorted to shooting from long range trying to take advantage of Fakenham inexperienced keeper but she was up to the challenge.

A defensive mix-up cost Fakenham another goal and squared the match up again. The incentive was now with Cambridge and Fakenham had to soak up some difficult pressure.

Fakenham weathered the storm and won themselves a late corner which was sent in deep to the far post by Shelley Woods where a group of players tried to get their head on the ball but Frankie Walder was most determined and forced the ball home, to the delight of the Fakenham players and fans.

An improvement in spells from last week’s performance but Fakenham must show more patience with the ball and more importantly one another.

Manager’s play of the match: Kirsty Scott, took her goal well and showed good team commitment by stepping up to go in goal.