Fakenham Town caretaker boss Walpole insists game at Ely will go ahead as planned
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Fakenham Town return to league action at Ely City this evening – a week after calling off their home clash with Great Yarmouth at short notice.
The Bloaters had a wasted journey to Cilpbush Park after the home players refused to turn-out, with behind-the-scenes issues prompting the revolt.
But the Ghosts did return to action in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday – and the man who took temporary charge insisted it would again be business as usual at The Unwin Ground.
“The one thing I can guarantee is that the match will go ahead as planned,” said Alex Walpole, who stepped up from coaching the club’s under-12s to look after the team at the weekend.
“There are things going on behind the scenes so we will have to see who is in charge at Ely – and who plays – but, as I said, the club will be fulfilling the fixture.”
You may also want to watch:
Walpole contacted officials to offer his help last week after it became clear that the bulk of the first team squad would not be making themselves available for the cup tie against Yelverton.
He managed to get a squad of 16 together, made up primarily of club coaches and youngsters, and was full of praise for their efforts, despite a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Anglian Combination Division One opposition.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 6 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 7 Hugill thrilled with brace and determined to help keep City on track
- 8 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 9 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 10 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
“With no time to prepare properly it was very difficult for the lads but they did the club proud and if we had played the game again the following day I am sure we would have won it,” he said.
Fakenham Town have shed no light on the situation since issuing a statement after last Tuesday’s embarrassing call-off in which they apologised before adding: “We are currently reviewing the full circumstances regarding the postponement and will issue a further statement in due course.”
The Norfolk Senior Cup second round will be completed tonight when Norwich CBS from Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League entertain top flight Wroxham at the FDC.
There are two big Thurlow Nunn Premier Division matches on the coast, with Gorleston entertaining leaders Felixstowe and Walton, who have won 15 out of their 16 league games so far, and Great Yarmouth Town hosting near neighbours Kirkley and Pakefield. All the games kick off at 7.45pm.