Fall out from Norwich v Colchester clash continues

David Bale The fall-out from the heated Norwich City versus Colchester United game on Saturday continued after the match ended 5-0 to the Canaries, it emerged today.

David Bale

The fall-out from the heated Norwich City versus Colchester United game on Saturday continued after the match ended 5-0 to the Canaries, it emerged today.

The Evening News understands that angry Colchester chairman Robbie Cowling refused to shake his opposite number Alan Bowkett's hand - or that of Norwich chief executive David McNally - after the match.

Mr Bowkett is believed to have approached Mr Cowling after the game, thanked him for his kind hospitality and complemented his staff's stewardship of a very difficult game, and offered to shake his hand.


You may also want to watch:


The other Colchester directors and the former owner Peter Heard, are however, believed to have shaken Mr Bowkett's hand after the match.

Neither club would comment yesterday on whether Mr Cowling refused to shake hands.

Most Read

Spice had been added to the game because the Essex side had beaten Norwich 7-1 at Carrow Road on the opening day of the season and, days later, Colchester boss Paul Lambert quit to join the Canaries.

The move sparked a bitter compensation row and prompted Mr Cowling to refuse to increase the Canaries' ticket allocation of 1,900 for the clash.

As reported in The Evening News, police have praised the good behaviour of Norwich City supporters after no-one was arrested at the match.

Police had been worried that some City fans planned to sit among home supporters.

A Colchester United spokesman said around a dozen Norwich fans were ejected from the home ends at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, but added on the whole fans had been well behaved in and around the ground.

A spokesman for Essex police said police arrested only three people during and after the match, including a 50-year-old man, who will appear in court a week today charged with running onto the pitch.

A 29-year-old man was charged with using threatening behaviour to cause alarm and was bailed to appear in court on February 9 while a 48-year-old received a fixed penalty notice after admitting using threatening behaviour to cause alarm.

Visit www.pinkun.com for the latest news from Carrow Road.

Have you got a story? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email david.bale2@archant.co.uk.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus