City defender joins Charlton Athletic on loan
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City defender Akin Famewo has joined League One side Charlton Athletic on a season-long loan.
The 21-year-old has linked up with Lee Bowyer’s men after they were taken over by Thomas Sandgaard yesterday - meaning their transfer embargo was lifted by EFL.
Experienced midfielder Ben Watson became the first signing of the Sandgaard era yesterday - with City defender Famewo bolstering Bowyer’s defensive options.
Famewo spent the second half of last season on loan with Scottish Premiership side St Mirren, where he made 13 appearances in all competitions for Jim Goodwin’s men.
He made his Canaries debut on the last day of the Premier League season against Manchester City - replacing Kenny McLean in stoppage time to make his first senior appearance under Daniel Farke.
You may also want to watch:
The signing of Ben Gibson from Burnley has bolstered City’s defensive options - with Farke now possessing five first-team centre-backs.
That leaves Famewo on the periphery despite some impressive performances in Scotland last season. City typically prefer to get their young prospects first-team football elsewhere rather than playing them in the club’s under-23 side.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 5 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 6 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 7 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 8 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 9 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 10 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
Bowyer’s men are hoping to bounce back to the Championship at the first time of asking, Famewo will be hoping to play a significant role in their bid for promotion.
Speaking about his loan move, Famewo told the Addicks official channels: “I’m buzzing to be here, delighted to be part of the Addicks and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can do this season.
“I’m looking forward to getting in and meeting everyone. I’m fit and ready to go if I’m needed on Sunday.”
Bowyer was pleased to add Famewo to his squad. He said: “He’s a young lad but he’s very, very good. He’s good in possession, we lost Naby [Sarr], so we had to replace him.
“Akin is someone who naturally can play on that [left] side, who is confident, who can step out and he can play. He can also play left back or left of a three – there is a lot of versatility with him, so he’s another good addition.
“Norwich speak very, very highly of him. We’re lucky to have been able to get a player like him.”