City defender joins Charlton Athletic on loan
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City defender Akin Famewo has joined League One side Charlton Athletic on a season-long loan.
The 21-year-old has linked up with Lee Bowyer’s men after they were taken over by Thomas Sandgaard yesterday - meaning their transfer embargo was lifted by EFL.
Experienced midfielder Ben Watson became the first signing of the Sandgaard era yesterday - with City defender Famewo bolstering Bowyer’s defensive options.
Famewo spent the second half of last season on loan with Scottish Premiership side St Mirren, where he made 13 appearances in all competitions for Jim Goodwin’s men.
He made his Canaries debut on the last day of the Premier League season against Manchester City - replacing Kenny McLean in stoppage time to make his first senior appearance under Daniel Farke.
You may also want to watch:
The signing of Ben Gibson from Burnley has bolstered City’s defensive options - with Farke now possessing five first-team centre-backs.
That leaves Famewo on the periphery despite some impressive performances in Scotland last season. City typically prefer to get their young prospects first-team football elsewhere rather than playing them in the club’s under-23 side.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 5 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 Rupp set for FA Cup recall
- 9 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 10 Barnsley v Norwich City in the FA Cup - all you need to know
Bowyer’s men are hoping to bounce back to the Championship at the first time of asking, Famewo will be hoping to play a significant role in their bid for promotion.
Speaking about his loan move, Famewo told the Addicks official channels: “I’m buzzing to be here, delighted to be part of the Addicks and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can do this season.
“I’m looking forward to getting in and meeting everyone. I’m fit and ready to go if I’m needed on Sunday.”
Bowyer was pleased to add Famewo to his squad. He said: “He’s a young lad but he’s very, very good. He’s good in possession, we lost Naby [Sarr], so we had to replace him.
“Akin is someone who naturally can play on that [left] side, who is confident, who can step out and he can play. He can also play left back or left of a three – there is a lot of versatility with him, so he’s another good addition.
“Norwich speak very, very highly of him. We’re lucky to have been able to get a player like him.”