Farke explains what he wants City focused on as unusual pre-season moves to Germany
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke is pleased with the ‘top class’ fitness of his Norwich City players already, ahead of an unusual pre-season campaign stepping up with three games in Germany this week.
The Canaries only had three weeks between their Premier League relegation campaign coming to an end and returning to start building towards their Championship opener at Huddersfield Town on Saturday, September 12.
Friendly games against third tier sides SC Verl and Dynamo Dresden, today (4pm UK time) and Wednesday respectively, are followed by a final behind-closed-doors game against Bundesliga II side Darmstadt on Saturday.
That will be followed by as many as 15 players disappearing off on international duty and being unavailable for the trip to Luton Town in the first round of the League Cup on Saturday, September 5.
“Before we sent the lads on a short holiday, we spoke about not having much of a pre-season, so we have to be in top class shape,” Farke explained after a 6-0 win over MK Dons at Colney on Friday.
“During these two or three weeks before the first competitive game, there’s not much time to work on the physical basis.
You may also want to watch:
“They worked unbelievably hard at home on their fitness plans. They were all top class. Without that fitness level you can’t deliver such a performance in the first game.
“It’s important that we work hard in Germany to be prepared for this tricky and strange situation. Many players won’t be available for our first game (at Luton), but the games will come thick and fast so we have to be prepared.”
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 3 "He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed with Norwich
- 4 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 5 City keeper issues injury update
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 10 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
City will use this week to help the raft of new signings settle into the squad during the compressed pre-season schedule.
“It’s important to be together 24/7 in pre-season,” Farke added, speaking to the Canaries’ official website. “We have to prepare ourselves from the football point of view, which will be quite intense with tactical things and friendlies, but it’s also important we spend time together with team building.
“We have many new faces and they have to adapt, so it’s good when they sit together with a coffee and speak about their private lives. That’s important for team building, so we’ll give them some time to do this.”
- Our group football editor Paddy Davitt will be following the Canaries during their week in Germany, so keep checking back to this website for all the latest news, match coverage and interviews from the City camp.