Farsley Celtic 1, King's Lynn 1

Martin Davis An injury-time equaliser robbed King's Lynn of their first league win since November in Yorkshire this afternoon. Andrew Fisk had handed the Linnets a second-half lead, but Scott Broughton earned the home side a point.

Martin Davis

An injury-time equaliser robbed King's Lynn of their first league win since November in Yorkshire this afternoon.

Andrew Fisk had handed the Linnets a second-half lead, but Scott Broughton earned the home side a point.

From the Lynn side that had shared the points in their last league game with high-flying AFC Telford manager Keith Webb for varying reasons had made numerous changes to today's starting line up.

You may also want to watch:

The Linnets were making their first ever visit to Throstle Nest in search of a chance to gain revenge for the 4-1 defeat inflicted earlier by Celtic when they visited the Walks.

Robert Murray came in for his first start of the season in place of Scott Howie in goal. Andrew Fisk came in in midfield for the injured Scott Mitchell while newcomer Gavin Hurren signed yesterday from Mansfield Town was set to make his debut in midfield. While after a run of recent good form in the Reserves Dominic Dwyer was given a place on the bench.

Most Read

Jack Defty was ruled out due to suspension having been unable to serve his one match ban due to last week's call-off at Droylsden.

Lynn kicked off on a fine crisp January afternoon at Throstle Nest.

A long punt up field by Crane gave Farsley keeper Aspden a problem, but he eventually gathered and cleared as Frew threatened for the Linnets.

On 10 minutes Graham found Frew whose shot on target was palmed away by goal keeper Aspden.

At the other end Murray got his first touch as he dived to claim a cross from Downes.

The next piece of excitement saw a clearance from Ben Chapman lay low linesman M Salisbury as the ball struck him in the face, but the official was fit to resume after treatment.

Then a good run into the box by Farsley centre forward Campbell saw his cross blocked by Crane with no Celtic forward up to take advantage of the loose ball.

The first half hour had been a low key affair with neither side showing to advantage.

Next to try his luck on goal was Farsley's Downes with an effort from 20 yards having been waved on by the referee playing advantage, but Murray got down well to save.

For Lynn, newcomer Hurren went down under a challenge from Iqbal but his penalty appeal was waved away by referee Mattocks.

A close offside decision denied Speight as the home side made a quick break.

Just before the interval Speight for Farsley and Thomas for Lynn were cautioned by referee Mattocks for a foul and the subsequent retaliation.

t Half-time: Farsley Celtic 0 King's Lynn 0

Lynn started the second half brightly with Camm lofting a shot from 18 yards which was tipped away by goalkeeper Aspden for Lynn's second corner taken by Frew the ball fell to Graham whose header hit the post.

Farsley half cleared the danger only for Lynn's newcomer Gavin Hurren to have a first time drive that was blocked on the line by Iqbal.

When Farsley forced their third corner the ball was turned into goal but referee Mattocks ruled the goal out for offside.

Lynn, on 68 minutes, made a substitution with Francis replacing Smith who had earlier received a knock.

Lynn took the lead on 77 minutes.

The ball had broken to Joachim from Luke Graham's pass Lynn striker hit a fierce shot which was well blocked by keeper Aspden who then made an equally good save from Frew only to be beaten by ANDREW FISK who scored with a hard, low drive from 15 yards which gave Aspden this time no chance.

Lynn then had to defend as Farsley sought an instant reply but once again the defence coped with the task.

With five minutes left Farsley made a double substitution in an effort to rescue a point.

In stoppage time Downes and Price combined well to force Farsley's fifth corner, for which goalkeeper Aspden joined his colleagues in the Lynn box. After a terrific goalmouth scramble it was eventually ruled that substitute Scott Broughton had been the last to get a touch as Farsley at the death levelled the score.

t Result: Farsley Celtic 1, King's Lynn 1

t Farsley Celtic: Aspden, Price, Serrant, Iqbal, Knowles, Bentham, Downes, Krief, Campbell, Speight, Tuck. Subs: Broughton, Saynor, Penford, Jackson, Driscoll.

t King's Lynn: Murray, Graham, Chapman, Thomas, Crane, Camm, Fisk, Hurren, Frew, Joachim, Smith.

Subs: Weaver, Francis, Kelly, Dwyer, Howie.

t Referee: Mr K Mattocks

t Att: 309

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus