Feast of goals for Norwich City
Welwyn Garden City 0, Norwich City Ladies 11Norwich City Ladies travelled to bottom side Welwyn Garden City on Sunday in the South East Combination League and went on a goal blitz.
Welwyn Garden City 0, Norwich City Ladies 11
Norwich City Ladies travelled to bottom side Welwyn Garden City on Sunday in the South East Combination League and went on a goal blitz.
Not taking anything for granted as they kicked off, City were well aware that each team in the league, regardless of position, will be a huge test, especially away from home.
City started the stronger and were soon putting the WGC defence under extreme pressure and within the first five minutes would have been 1-0 up if not for some excellent goalkeeping from the home side.
You may also want to watch:
City then stepped up a gear and opened their scoring account shortly after, then continued to take their opportunities in front of goal restricting the home team to very little opportunities of their own.
The goals were shared around with Nic Bray and Chelsea Garrett scoring hat-tricks, Bex Burton and Kate Parsons with a brace apiece and Jodie Drake rounding up the scoreline with what would be the best goal of the game.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
- 2 Get behind McGovern urges Farke
- 3 STARTING XIs: Three changes and very young bench for injury-hit City against Coventry
- 4 Matchday Recap: City top and unbeaten in 10 after draw with Coventry
- 5 Late heartbreak for injury-plagued City as Biamou's late strike rescues a point for Coventry
- 6 Paddy's Pointers: Canaries 1-1 Coventry City
- 7 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 8 'Frustrating' - City fans dejected after injury crisis worsens during Coventry draw
- 9 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 10 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
The win, means that City have won 4 away games out of 4, something which they can be pleased with, it also means that following other results from the weekend keeps them a whisker away from the league leaders MK Dons who they are yet to face.
Co-manager Emma Fletcher said: “This win means that we have started our season off in the best possible way. Today gave our strikers the opportunity to hit a few goals and they snapped up the chance to do so.
“I think what is even more pleasing is that we have also kept a clean sheet for our third consecutive game, which helps build confidence within the back four and the team as a whole.'”
Co-manager Scott Emmerson added: “It was another good away performance by the team today, I still think our performance in the first half could have been better, we tried to force the play on too many occasions, but we talked about this at half time, and played a lot better in the second half.
“Welwyn never gave up the chase, but every change in formation they tried just seemed to spur our girls on even further.”
City have been given a very exciting opportunity this week as they will be playing Ebbsfleet at Colney training ground due to Plantation Park being unavaible.
The ladies are very grateful to NCFC in allowing them to play there and helping them out on this occasion. The kick-off is at the slightly later time of 3pm.