Feelgood factor returns for Barnett
Defender Leon Barnett believes Norwich City’s players can go to Old Trafford with a smile on their faces – after helping his side to a second successive Premier League victory.
Barnett scored his first goal of the season to set the Canaries on course for a 2-1 win over Sunderland at Carrow Road, Steve Morison adding the second before Kieran Richardson reduced the arrears to set up a tense finale.
After winning 2-1 at Bolton nine days earlier, Paul Lambert’s men have hoisted themselves into the top half of the table ahead of their visit to leaders Manchester United on Saturday.
“We have two wins behind us and sometimes we need to enjoy winning because it’s going to be a hard season for us and it’s good to know we can go to Old Trafford with a smile on our faces,” said Barnett, who tucked away the opening goal from Elliott Bennett’s cross to give City an interval lead. “It was coming out from a corner and sometimes I try to stay up as long as I can before the gaffer tells me to get back, so it paid off this time.
“It’s like I said to Grant Holt, I think he needs to watch my movement. I drift in and out of offside and I was quite fortunate with the great ball that Benno put into the box.”
You may also want to watch:
Barnett conceded City’s fifth penalty in as many games at Bolton but had good cause to celebrate last night.
He said: “I think in the past few games the whole team collectively has been hard done by, by referees giving red cards and penalties so it’s nice not to get a penalty given against us today.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 9 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
“I hope people can start speaking about us more positively.”