Ferguson happy to spend big on Joe
Peterborough United manager Darren Ferguson believes he is on the verge of signing one of the country's best in Canaries stopper Joe Lewis.News of a possible £400,000 move for City's highly rated 'keeper broke yesterday and Lewis is said to be thinking over the move this weekend.
Peterborough United manager Darren Ferguson believes he is on the verge of signing one of the country's best in Canaries stopper Joe Lewis.
News of a possible £400,000 move for City's highly rated 'keeper broke yesterday and Lewis is said to be thinking over the move this weekend. If he agrees the 20-year-old would become Peterborough's most expensive ever signing.
With the relatively high fee for a player who has yet to make a first team appearance for Norwich, Ferguson is confident Lewis' signature would be a major coup for the League Two side.
“To get the calibre of player I'm after you sometimes need to spend big money,” said Ferguson. “It's a big fee, but I believe it's a fair one because we would be getting one of the best young goalkeepers in the country.
You may also want to watch:
“That would make it an investment for the future, but it also sends a message out to our fans and to other clubs how serious we all are in taking this club forward.
“Fair play to the chairman because he has again put his money where his mouth is as far as backing me is concerned. I just hope that Joe will sign.
- 1 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: QPR v City - Bullish Farke on Aarons' Everton link; no new injuries
- 4 Transfer rumours: Everton 'step up interest' in City star
- 5 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Canaries legend thinks promotion party was fully deserved
- 10 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
“He didn't know anything about the move until late on Wednesday night so it's been a bit of a whirlwind for him. He has asked for the weekend to talk things over with his family which is fair enough.
“Joe has a huge presence and I like that in a goalkeeper. If we have a slight achilles heel in our side it's the lack of height at the back and Joe's presence would ensure that. He's also agile, has good hands and he kicks well. He has the whole package and he would be a quality capture.”