Fight for the county's prime pieces of silver hots up
Milton Lindsay Local footballers will be hoping the weather plays ball as the battle for the prized pieces of county silverware hots up this weekend. It's quarter-finals day in the Norfolk Saturday and Sunday Senior Cups, while the Sunday Intermediate and Junior cups also see the last eight do battle.
Local footballers will be hoping the weather plays ball as the battle for the prized pieces of county silverware hots up this weekend.
It's quarter-finals day in the Norfolk Saturday and Sunday Senior Cups, while the Sunday Intermediate and Junior cups also see the last eight do battle.
One of the most intriguing ties in the Saturday Senior Cup sees giantkillers Spixworth United, who dumped holders King's Lynn Reserves out of the competition with a 2-0 win in the last round, entertain Cromer Town.
You may also want to watch:
The Crabs may be fighting for the Sterry Cup title but they will underestimate the top flight basement battlers at their peril.
Last year's beaten finalists Wroxham, who lost 3-1 to the now disbanded Linnets, entertain Norwich United in an all- Ridgeons League Premier Division affair, while top-flight Dereham and Division One Gorleston also fly the flag for that league. The other tie sees Loddon entertain Anglian Combination Premier Division rivals Mattishall.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 9 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 10 Young Canaries suffer last-gasp defeat in first game of 2021
The Sunday Senior Cup quarter-finals have thrown up an action replay of last year's Carrow Road showdown as holders Marlborough, the Norwich league champions who have yet to sparkle this season, entertain Yarmouth outift El Sol, beaten 5-1 in last year's final. Meanwhile, upwardly-mobile Costessey Sports aim to enhance their growing reputation as cup silverware specialists. The former Sunday Intermediate Cup winners and Pink 'Un League Cup holders travel to Dog House, who in their previous guise as Delaneys won the Sunday Senior Cup in 2008. Yarmouth outfit Camden entertain Norwich's AFC Wanderers and Prince of Denmark host in-form Norwich Busmen.
In the Norfolk Sunday Junior Cup Wellington Pink Uns will be aiming to maintain their 100 per cent record in all competitions.
The former Crusader League outfit, who have yet to put a foot wrong since joining the Norwich league this season, host Riverside Gardens. Star and Garter entertain Sprowston Royal Oak; Rumbold Arms entertain Downham Old Boys and Attleborough Sunday face a long trip to King's Lynn outfit Splinters, who won the Intermediate Cup last season.
In the Sunday Intermediate Cup Old Catton host Railway, Bayer are at home to Dereham Wanderers, Globe meet Aslacton GM and Windmill host Bentinck Arms.
Saturday sees the Norfolk Primary Cup fourth round.