Fine win for Mousehold Reserves

Mousehold Reserves 2, Hempnall 1In this Tuesday game, Mousehold Reserves had a corner within the first two minutes, and a second two minutes later, but it went over the crossbar.

Mousehold Reserves 2, Hempnall 1

In this Tuesday game, Mousehold Reserves had a corner within the first two minutes, and a second two minutes later, but it went over the crossbar.

Their enthusiasm continued with frequent attacks on the Hempnall goal.

Fifteen minutes in James Earley had such a good chance - Ben Jacob had battled with two defenders to the right of the goal but just couldn't see his way clear to get a shot on goal or to make a cross.

You may also want to watch:

Chris Daniels took the ball and passed it left to James who had a clear shot from just outside the penalty area with the keeper completely wrong-sided, but put it just inches wide to the left of the post.

Hempnall then started to pile the pressure on with several close calls, and the Mousehold defence looking a little frantic.

Most Read

It had been an incredibly fast-paced game throughout, end-to-end stuff, but now Hempnall notched the pace even higher, proving their strength.

Despite this the Mousehold defence held firm, and both sides continued to make chances.

Thirty-six minutes in, Jason Brooks made the breakthrough, in the process getting his first-ever goal for the club: it was a long throw in which was flicked on by Ben Jacob, and Jason charging up the right used his left foot to put his laces through it and into the back of the net.

Mousehold then went into half time with a one goal lead, and knowing that with Hempnall's first half performance they still had work to do.

Just three minutes into the second half Nigel Barker had to come off with a groin injury and Sam Jenkins took his place.

Nine minutes later Dwayne Batley went on for James Early, another injury-driven decision.

Seventeen minutes into the half Hempnall did what Mousehold had been dreading, and got the equaliser.

Despite the groans, no one's head went down, and the battle continued.

On 76 minutes Ben Jacob came off for Paul Mitchell.

On 86 minutes their hard work and determination were repaid when Dwayne got through two defenders with the ball and got it into the box where there was a scramble, but he still managed to get the ball forward to Chris Daniels who volleyed it; it took a deflection and landed in the bottom corner.

With a final score of 2-1 the Reserves have shown they can play, that they can keep going even under pressure and despite conceding a goal; they showed brilliant team spirit and got the result they deserved.

Man of the Match awarded to Nick Tyrrell, his third this year.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus