First head coach role in Germany for former Norwich City analyst
- Credit: Jason Dawson/JASONPIX
Former Norwich City coach Christian Flüthmann has stepped up to his first head coach role in Germany.
The 37-year-old was part of Daniel Farke's initial coaching team which arrived in Norfolk from Borussia Dortmund II in 2017, as a first-team coach and analyst, having been an academy coach at Dortmund.
Flüthmann returned to Germany in November though, joining German third-tier side Eintracht Braunschweig as a coach, and was replaced at City by Paderborn U21s assistant coach Christopher John.
Braunschweig had just dropped into 3 Liga and went on to finish 16th to avoid relegation but have now promoted the former Canaries coach to a senior role, with Peter Vollman brought in as sporting director, on contracts until 2021.
"I am very grateful to the club management for the trust placed in me and look forward to my new role full of anticipation and drive," Flüthmann told Eintracht's website.
"In the past few months I have seen Eintracht is a great club with great cohesion and a lot of potential. To know the club and the people here was very important to me in this time.
"After relegation we have laid an important foundation for the future and have pushed many things in the past few weeks, especially in squad planning.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to build on that and I am pleased - together with Peter Vollmann - to actively shape the path and future of Eintracht in my new role as head coach."
Braunschweig was a Bundesliga club regularly in the 1970s and 80s but has only played in the top flight for one season, 2013-14, since 1985.
Norwich signed winger Onel Hernandez from Eintracht in a deal reportedly worth around £1.7million in January 2018 and the Cuban has gone on to help City reach the Premier League - recently signing a new contract until 2023.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 8 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return