Focus on Dereham and Fakenham area

DEREHAM TOWN U13 welcomed Blofield to Aldiss Park, and new kit sponsors First Self Drive. Dereham won 10-3. Callum was denied by the width of the post before he smashed home Dereham's opener.

DEREHAM TOWN U13 welcomed Blofield to Aldiss Park, and new kit sponsors First Self Drive. Dereham won 10-3. Callum was denied by the width of the post before he smashed home Dereham's opener. Following Andel's shot the ball fell nicely for Joe to make it 2-0. Great work at the back by Tricky released Reece whose rebound set up Andel to score. Blofield came back to 3-2 by half-time. The second half was four minutes old when Reece pounced on a back pass to round the goalkeeper and increase Dereham's lead. In the following three minutes Reece finished with a neat little lob for his second and Dereham fifth; Andel's brilliant run and unselfish pass found Reece for his third and quickest hat-trick of the season to make the score 6-2. Blofield were rewarded with an excellently-taken goal. However MoM Reece latched on to Andel's rebounded shot to notch up his fourth and Dereham's seventh. Blofield's defence could not deal with the pace of Andel who finally got the reward for his second-half display. Callum, who also worked hard in the midfield, ran through the Blofield back four and slotted home his second and Dereham's ninth. With only seconds left Andel turned in a low drive from Jack to comlete a hat-trick. Despite the attacking players taking all the plaudits Dereham's back four and defensive midfield players proved again just how good they are. Dereham travel to Old Catton next, who still have their 100 per cent record.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U12 GIRLS entertained Aylsham. In the early stages defenders Ella and Chelsea were doing well. Cerys free-kick was deflected towards Hannah with the keeper saving well, Anna also went close, but Alysham took the lead. Dereham went close several times before Drew pulled off an excellent save. Erren won a corner which led to Anna slamming home the equaliser but Alysham made it 2-1. Millie came on for Chelsea, Anna was working well, setting up Hannah to make it 2-2. Dereham made numerous chances, but Aylsham broke free and made it 3-2. Mary came on but Dereham could not find the equaliser. Girl-of-the-match: Anna for determination.

DEREHAM WANDERERS GIRLS U13 hosted Taverham Girls. Dereham struggled to get a hold of the game as Taverham struck first from a corner. Dereham slowly become the stronger side in the later stages of the first half. They got a deserved equaliser when Chelsea scored with a powerful shot from a very tight angle. Dereham got their noses in front a minute before half-time. Chelsea slid a lovely pass down the line to Lanti who cut inside, beat the defenders andslotted the ball past the keeper. Second half Chantelle was playing extremely well in goal, however Taverham got a deserved equaliser. Avalon was introduced to add to strength to the defence and in a tactical change, Chelsea was taken off, Merrick was asked to play the striker's role and Joy was put back on in midfield. With the game heading for a draw the ball was played into Merrick by Joy. Her first effort was saved but the ball came straight back out to her and she drilled home for 3-2 to preserve Dereham's 100 per cent start to the season. The manager's player-of-the-week award was given to goalkeeper Chantelle.

WELLS TOWN U10 saw Fakenham get off to a flying start when sloppy defending in the first 10 minutes allowed Fakenham to go 2-0 up. Great goalkeeping from Jack kept Wells in the game with Fakenham dominating the first half. George had a shot tipped over the bar and this seemed to spur Wells on. Second half Wells came out firing on all cylinders, with excellent passing between Scott, George and Connor, who scored the first goal for Wells. Even when Fakenham got the ball they struggled to get through excellent defending from James B and Harry. Mark's long-range shot forced an excellent save. Wells continued to dominate the second half with George firing home a second goal for Wells. Jack made a crucial save in the dying seconds. Final score: Fakenham 2, Wells 2. Man-of-the-match: Jack. Team: Jack, Harry, James B, Scott, Mark, George and Connor.

DEREHAM WANDERERS BLUES U10 travelled to East Harling. Dereham's keeper Finlay played a blinder during the first quarter and there was excellent play from Byron and Jordan in defence. Harling broke the deadlock from good passing moves and a second goal followed. In the third quarter Dereham scored through Josh Sutton to make it 2-1. Harling continued to pressure Dereham and their hard work paid off with another goal. The fourth quarter saw Harling notch another goal. Dereham then began to play with passion again but Harling kept attacking, scoring three more goals to make it 7-1. Dereham fought until the final whistle. Determination saw Billy make it 7-2 and Ben quickly followed suit making the final score 7-3. Manager's player-of-the-match went to Finlay and East Harling voted Josh Sutton man-of-the-match.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U14 in the North-East Norfolk League, travelled to play Thorpe with just 11 but were keen to fulfil the fixture. With their goalkeeper in Florida, and three players injured, Dereham started with Brad in goal, with Dom, Jack, Alex and Matt across the back, with Jason Titch, Jamie and Foxy across the middle with Luke C and Luke B playing up front. Good football gave Luke C two chances, both missing by inches. Wanderers have found a new “steel” and competed for everything. The Wanderers' continuous pressure resulted in a goal just before half-time. Brad was having a great debut in goal, as was Alex at centre-back, forging an excellent pairing with Jack, with very good performances from our new signings, Jason and Luke.

Most Read

Without subs the players were tired, but their attitude was superb. Jamie was back to his best, with Luke B playing superbly through some pain, Foxy having his best game yet, Dom and Matt both having good games at left and right back. Luke B swapped with Titch but the second half saw Thorpe gradually take control, scoring despite a brave block by Dom. The Wanderers' back four held firm. With the score 1-1 with six minutes to go a draw would have been a fair result. But the ref, who had had a wonderful game, missed a handball that reversed a Dereham attack into a Thorpe counter. The ball was played to the edge of the box with Jack putting in a very brave block, but the ball looped off Jack over Brad and into the net. Despite several half-chances including one long-range shot that hit the top of the net, Wanderers lost 2-1 but can be very proud of their football. Man-of-the-match: Alex, with many others close.

FAKENHAM AMBERS U10 travelled to Wells. In a keenly-fought, competitive game Fakenham created several early chances, but not until midway through the first half did they score through Charlie. Rahul was very assured in defence and started many of Fakenham's best attacking moves. Reece hit a long shot from a wide left position and beat the Wells keeper. Fakenham continued to apply pressure through the midfield efforts of Ben and Aaron but were unlucky not to increase the score. In the second half Fakenham lost momentum and shape which allowed Wells a way back into the game. Callum came to Fakenham's rescue with several great saves. Despite several substitutions Fakenham were unable to recapture their first-half form and Wells scored two well-taken goals. Fakenham were unlucky to have a goal disallowed when the referee stopped the game for an injury to a Wells player as the ball was being struck into the goal. Fakenham struck the bar in the last minute. Final score: 2-2. Man-of-the-match: Callum Futter, several superb saves. Team: Callum, Rahul, Jack, Reece, Aaron, Ben, Tom, Josh, Charlie.

FAKENHAM GHOSTS U10 entertained Woottons B. They had lots of early possession but didn't trouble the keeper as much as they should have. Chant and Ben were playing well down the flanks and the impressive Cameron was dominating the centre of midfield. They took the lead just before the break when the hard-working Matty put Ben through and he finished neatly into the bottom corner. Second half they were determined to hang onto their lead and battled for every ball. Dan and Kai ensured Jamie's goal was well protected and an excellent morning was topped off by the addition of further goals from Ben and a brace for Man of the Match Cameron, the second a superb overhead kick from Matty's corner. Final score: 4-0. Team: Jamie, Travis, Dan, Kai, Cameron, Ben, Chant and Matty.

FAKENHAM U13 played Hellesdon U13 and had chances in the opening moments, Dan's ball across goal only needed a final touch and Tom forced a save. Hellesdon were quick on the break, but the defence were equal to the challenge. Sam was called into action, claiming the ball well and commanding his area. Martin kept the Hellesdon keeper busy but the breakthrough came when Brady calmly finished after a fine free-kick from Dion. A well-taken throw saw Brady score again but Hellesdon continued to push with Sam producing another excellent save to push the ball over the bar. The second half continued at a furious pace. Fakenham scored their third as Harrison forced the ball over the line from a corner. Sam again made himself big to save after another excellent attacking move from Hellesdon. Fakenham's calm team approach worked well, players getting back to provide extra cover. Fakenham finished with a flourish as Dion's free-kick was held by the Hellesdon keeper followed by a weaving run from Olly showing his skill and strength. The squad send their best wishes to Kyle as he recovers from an ankle injury. Team: Sam, Tom, Dion, Harrison, Curtis, Hilly, Christian, Dan, Olly, Martin, Brady, Jack L, George and Liam.

LITCHAM U12 visited a strong and physical Bulldogs team. Litcham broke the deadlock when a goalmouth clearance broke to Alby just inside the box who slotted home. Alby grabbed his second when a good cross came in from the right and he rose to head home. Thetford Bulldogs made it 2-1 at the break. In the second half Litcham continued to press with the defensive line and midfield having to work hard. Nathan J scored from the edge of the area after a clearance, and there were two wonder strikes. Kai, after a quick throw in and a pinpoint pass from the right unleashed a fantastic turning volley from outside the area in to the roof of the net showing great technique. Charlie ran on to the ball from left midfield to release an unstoppable strike on goal. Final score: 5-1. Praise to the keeper, defence and midfield players who stood strong all game, tracking back to make some important covering challenges. Man-of-the-match and a captain's performance from James. Squad: Kyle, Bradley, Nathan T, Ben (good debut), James, Jake, Harry, Kai, Nathan J, Felix, Alby and Charlie.

TOFTWOOD U10 made their first start in the Norfolk Youth Football Combination League at Thorpe Rec. With Callum Bowen Jones playing in central midfield Toftwood were winning several early midfield battles and Harvey Bird had an early chance. There were some foraging runs down the right from Ben Jarrett and fine passing from Matthew Gaskins, Toftwood dealt easily with the Thorpe attacks with Harry Hunt in goal rarely troubled. The second half was all about defence with Connor Green and new signing Nyall Fitt working tirelessly to stem the non-stop Thorpe attacks. Ben Jarrett taking over in goal was magnificent with several outstanding saves and when he was beaten the crossbar saved Toftwood. Nothing more could have been asked of the players as they gave 100 per cent to ensure the draw. If this level of effort is maintained through the season, it can be looked forward to with confidence. Man-of-the-match: Ben Jarrett.

TOFTWOOD U10 the previous week were much more threatening as an attacking force against Poringland U10. Two goals were conceded due to individual errors, but Harvey Bird had a couple of one-on-one chances with the Poringland keeper which failed to hit the target, Matthew Gaskins had a chance which was blocked and some driving runs from Ben Jarrett and Callum Bowen Jones kept Toftwood moving forward as an attacking force. Toftwood made some positional changes at half-time and were then outplayed. Charlie Matthews made some fine interceptions and competed well, but keeper Ben Jarrett shone again with some fine saves. Tiredness was playing a part with the defence team of Nyall Fitt and Connor Green overworked. Two further goals were conceded, but Toftwood nearly rescued a consolation as Matthew Gaskins hit the post in the final minutes. Man-of-the-match: Harry Hunt.

TOFTWOOD UNITED U12 played Rocklands in a top-of-the-table clash. Toftwood had Luke in goal a back four of George, Josh, Harry and Alfie, in midfield was Robbie, Sonny, Lewis and Dean and Ryan and Sam up front. Ryan played in Sam who shot just over, Ryan had a shot blocked by the keeper. Rocklands forced Luke into a good save and an Alfie clearance off the line kept the scoreline blank. Toftwood then broke away with Dean putting Robbie through and he calmly slotted home for 1-0. Just before half-time Lewis had a long shot well saved. The second half started with both teams not giving an inch. There were few chances but Ffrom Ryan's pass Robbie was clear and again slotted past the keeper for his second. Rocklands laid siege to Toftwood's goal and Luke got a hand to a shot to push it round the post. Rocklands then scored to set up a thrilling finale. Toftwood's defence cleared a goalmouth scramble with some brave defending and Luke again kept them ahead with a great one-on-one save. Toftwood hung on to record a great win.

DEREHAM WANDERERS REDS U12 were soon producing some very good fluent passing football, adding to Thetford's frustration as their attack was constantly caught offside by the Reds' defensive line of Luke, Eggo, Jack and Skippy. Good positioning by keeper DJ forced a striker to rush a shot over the bar. John narrowly missed scoring from Jack's long free-kick. George was instrumental in midfield and attack alongside Daniel, Dale, Zach, Louis, Alex and John. Thetford broke the deadlock but one minute later the Reds equalised after a skilful individual run by George past several Thetford players ended with a pass to Zach who chipped the keeper. George was denied by a well-timed timely tackled by the Thetford keeper, then saw a shot rebound off a post. Thetford scored twice in quick succession at the beginning of the second half, one from a penalty. George reduced the deficit to 3-2 but Thetford scored again. The Reds introduced subs Charlie and Hayden but Thetford scored a further five goals to win 9-2. Man-of-the-match: DJ.

Dereham Wanderers Stripes beat Brandon Lads 4-0 in a game which flowed end to end. Stripes put Brandon under pressure with efforts from Joe Whitehead, Ryan Sergeant and Connor Wilkinson going close. Brandon were denied by a strong Stripes defence well marshalled by Keenan Stokes. The midfield duo of George Broster and Thomas Semmons constantly tested Brandon yet half-time came with nothing to show. The second half started with a fine juggling save from the dependable Myles Wheeler whilst Connor Wilkinson just failed to convert a half-chance at the other end. With Thomas Semmons skimming the bar with a 25-yard free-kick a draw looked on the cards despite Brandon still looking dangerous. Stripes broke down the left and a high cross bobbled around the Brandon box until Billy Newson got a toe to the ball which crept slowly over the line to snatch the lead. Stripes then took total commandwith goals from George Broster and Connor Wilkinson followed by a well-struck penalty from Thomas Semmons.

Fine performances from Ashley Bell, Matthew Palmer, Benjy Sutton, Louie Seaton and Miguel Ferreira. Team: Myles Wheeler, Billy Newson, Matthew Palmer, Miguel Ferreira, Keenan Stokes, Benjy Sutton, Ryan Sergeant, George Broster, Louie Seaton, Joe Whitehead, Thomas Semmons (c), Ashley Bell, Connor Wilkinson. MoM: Thomas Semmons. Manager's MoM: Keenan Stokes.

DEREHAM WANDERERS U11 GIRLS played Bohemians who dominated after scoring two goals despite a number of saves from Brooke. With Saskia in defence with Ellie and Holly and Charlotte playing well, the visitors avoid conceding further goals before the break.

But soon after the re-start Bohemians scored again before Laura got one back for Dereham after combining well with Alice. However, Bohemians scored from the re-start and then made it 5-1. Ellie replaced Brooke in goal and made a number of saves but Bohemians went 6-1 up before Alice scored to make the final score 6-2. Goals: Laura and Alice. Dereham squad: Laura, Ellie, Holly, Charlotte, Brooke, Alice and Saskia.

DEREHAM U12 travelled for a top of the table clash with Taverham. Both teams started badly but Taverham took the lead when Fitty was unlucky to give a penalty away. Dereham then started to play. Boyce shot went just wide then hit the bar.

The second half started much the same with Taverham having an early chance until Boyce latched onto a good ball from Lewis and finished well. Two minutes later Taverham regained the lead following a corner. Dereham fought back again when Ryan lobbed the keeper to make it 2-2 and the game really got going. Taverham broke through again and a great shot bought out a great diving save from Fitty. The game looked like ending in a draw when the Taverham winger put in a cross which drifted into the top corner. Final score: Dereham 2, Taverham 3.

DEREHAM TOWN U11 faced strong opposition in the shape of Lakeford U11. Dereham started well with Ryan picking up a good clearance, beating three players to pass the ball to Jamie who made it 1-0. This was immediately followed by an equaliser which shook Dereham's confidence and they struggled to regain their composure, allowing Lakeford to score three more goals before half-time to lead 4-1. The boys had an uphill struggle in the second half. They had several opportunities but couldn't find the back of the net. Lakeford went on to score four more goals. Dereham kept on battling with Jamie managing a last-minute goal making the final score 8-2 to Lakeford. Man-of-the-match: Luke.