Focus on Diss Mercury area teams

HARLESTON U13 were away to St Benets Wasps and were looking to bounce back after the previous week's disappointing loss. Without a doubt the visitors were totally in control and it wasn't long before G.

HARLESTON U13 were away to St Benets Wasps and were looking to bounce back after the previous week's disappointing loss. Without a doubt the visitors were totally in control and it wasn't long before G.Collins slotted home the first of the game. After some great passing build-up, team captain J.Lewis netted a second and with Harlestons defence comfortably dealing with everything Wasps threw at them it wasn't long before an energetic Collins bagged his second. In a momentry lapse of concentration by the Harleston defence, Wasps did manage to get a goal just before half time, making it 3-1 but their comeback was short lived as, after a goalkeeper clearance, MManser for Harleston from inside his own half struck the ball on the half-volley to score an amazing first goal of the season!. Harleston came out in the second half 4-1 up and were still hungry for more goals, two of these came from A Burlton and N Keeling, both were nicely controlled finishes one on one with the keeper. J Brown in goal had another great game on the rare occassion he was called upon and even saved another penalty for the second week running. The scoring was wrapped up by an own goal making the final score St Benets Wasps B 1, Harleston 7. MoM was G Collins for an outstanding midfield display.

HEMPNALL HUNNIES beat Fakenham Girls 4-1. Hempnall played against a much improved home team from their initial meeting early in the season. Hempnall started brightly and Taylor soon opened the scoring with a blast into the top corner. With the return of Katie S, options opened up on the wing, with her pace creating several opportunities. Despite several good chances, only one goal remained the difference for quite some time. Hempnall's concentration slipped and elementary mistakes and positioning allowed Fakenham to continually push forward and poor marking gave them the equaliser, struck from the half-way line. The scores remained level until Lucy put away the second for Hempnall following a goal-mouth skirmish. The second half saw Hempnall still panicking on the ball but i the last 15 minutes, Hempnall finally settled and played some nice passing and quick football, with Lucy, Holly, Katie S and Taylor linking up well, resulting in two well-worked goals from Taylor, adding another hat-trick to her tally, to put the game out of reach for Fakenham and securing all three points. Girl of the game was Katie B for her continuing effort, improvement and determination match by match. Hempnall Hunnies continue in their quest to become league runners-up.

HEMPNALL U12 played away to Kirkley and Pakefield A in the league and won 3-0. Kirkley were one position above Hempnall but on the same points, with games in hand. Hempnall made the brighter start, with Oli Newson making a fine run down the right, only to see his shot fumbled by the keeper and Callum Maloney hitting the rebound past the post. Hempnall kept up the pressure, with Connor Garrod hitting a 30-yard pass over the defence to Callum, who shot over the bar. Hempnall finally took the lead after 25 minutes. Again Oli Newson hassled the home defence into a mistake and Harry Gibson shot into the left corner of the net. Kirkley had their first attempt at goal after 30 minutes with a hopeful 30-yard shot that went wide of the goal. Back came Hempnall, with Dan Babington shooting past the right post. Hempnall increased their lead after 35 minutes when Ben Allen chased a lost cause, only to be rewarded when the keeper spilt the ball, to allow Ben an easy tap in. In the final minute of the half, Oli chased another lost cause, which he won, and passed to Thomas Hayes whose shot was charged down. The rebound fell to Harry Gibson, who shot into the keeper's arms. In the second half Kirkley came more into the game, but received little change from Ethan Humphrey and Rhys Vertigans at the heart of the defence, and both full-backs Sam Fisher and Connor Garrod were solid on the flanks, putting in some strong telling tackles. The match was wrapped up for Hempnall when Oli Newson headed a splendid goal from a Dan Babington corner. There was still time for Kirkley to make a late rally, but were denied by two fine saves from keeper Joel Brooks, the latter when he managed to hold onto the ball from under his bar. This ensured a clean sheet and three well-deserved points which move Hempnall above Kirkley in the fight for survival. Hempnall are now seven points clear of the drop, with one game left against another team in the drop zone. They also play the final of the League Cup at Emerald Park, Gorleston on April 25, ko 2.30. MoM: Oli Newson.

SCOLE U16B made the brighter start and aided by a strong wind were pressurising the Mulbarton goal. Several chances went close as the Wanderers struggled to put passes together and gain momentum. At half-time the score remained at 0-0. In the second period Mulbarton upped their game and put together several moves that looked promising. But just as they were settling into a good period of play Scole took the lead. Good performances from Alex R, Adam W and Sam W could not lift the team sufficiently to get an equaliser. MoM: Sam W.

LONG STRATTON U10 entertained local rivals Harleston at Manor Road for what turned out to be their closest contest yet. From the first whistle, it was clear that the boys needed to step up their game as Harleston pressed forward. The two teams seemed to cancel each other out for the best part of the first half, with neither side really having a clear-cut chance. The second half saw Stratton get into their stride and start to play football. K Locke didn't put a foot wrong in goal and pulled off a superb save late on, K Cleverly and H Grimsley were as solid as ever, and H Nye was again winning the midfield battle. But the goal came from a quick throw from J Bemrose, leaving B Whiting to round one player and strike the ball high, smashing the underside of the crossbar, down and over the line and back up to the crossbar. The 1-0 win was enough to see the Reds win the league with one game remaining. GLS MoM: B Whiting.

BECKVALE BOYS U11 travelled to Long Stratton for their final game of the season against local rivals Long Stratton, the visiting champions were looking to finish the season in style. The visitors were caught on the hop by the home teams 'route one' approach on a larger than normal pitch within the first few minutes, but the champions response was immediate with Harvey (MoM) crashing home a thunderous equaliser. Nathan Bartram was quick to add to the score line with a great strike from outside of the box which left the keeper stranded on his line. Beckvale added to their lead after fine approach work down the right wing between Leader and Homer, teeing up Harvey to slot home his second. Harvey was quick to turn provider when he set up Foster to crack home his fourth of the season taking the score to 4-1. The home team made it 4-2 just before the break when they caught the Beckvale defence out with another long ball leaving Ready with little chance. The second half started with a fine display of power and skill from the visiting champions, culminating with captain Heasley slotting home with his cultured left boot. Leader was causing the home defence problems all game and scored a fine goal after good link-up play on the edge of the box. Bental came on at half time and terrorised the home team with his pace which allowed him to break through and score to make it 7-3, the visitors ended the scoring with Leader finishing inside the box after a good cross from the wing. A special mention to Oakley and Wales who both had fantastic games. Well done on magnificent achievements this season.

Most Read

DISS TOWN U10 HAWKS started their last league match of the season, away to Hillside, in promising fashion. Sam Hunt set the tone by setting the team on the attack after a great tackle. Joint MoM Scott Wilby and Jamie Channell showed some lovely touches, with the latter opening the scoring with a fine goal. Diss were well on top and passing the ball fluently but they were hit on the break and went into half-time level at 1-1. Steven Hines was strong at the back and Will Aitken made some good saves as Hillside pressed at the start of the second half. The Hawks regained the momentum and created several chances, with Charlie Stammers dangerous in attack. The pressure finally told when Will Smith swung in another good corner and Lee Rackham scored to seal a deserved win. This was a good end to a season in which the boys played some lovely football at times and showed plenty of promise for the future. Full time Hillside 1, Diss 2.

DISS TOWN U10 TIGERS started the game positively and immediately put pressure on the opposition with several shots at goal, however they ended the first quarter one goal down. The match continued with Town keeping the New Buckenham goalkeeper very busy with shot after shot but luck was against them and Diss couldn't get the goal they deserved. Diss 0, New Buckenham 1.

HARLESTON U12 continued their good form with a hard working performance against a lowly Cobholm side. Attacking from the start, Harleston soon took the lead with Ryan Shadbolt firing home from the edge of the box. This woke the visitors up and they soon equalised through an unfortunate own goal. More slack defensive play allowed the visitors to take the lead. Harleston then got their game back in order and after missing a few chances deservedly equalised, again through Shadbolt. Just before half time Ryan Shadbolt burst through a static defence to give Harleston a slender half time lead. Harleston attacked right from the start of the second half but were unable to finish off numerous chances before Shadbolt added his fourth and what looked to be the decisive goal. However, the visitors had different ideas and should have reduced the lead from the penalty spot however keeper Andrew Hadingham pushed the kick onto the bar and to safety. Harleston then made the game safe when Shadbolt took his personal tally to five. This was soon followed by a Craig Ellis tap-in moments before the end. Final Score: Harleston 6, Cobholm 2. Ryan Shadbolt claimed MoM closely followed be Brandon Pickess who ran the game from midfield.

HARLESTON U14 progressed to the final of the league shield with a hard fought game in Yarmouth against Bohemians. Losing the toss Harleston played into a very strong wind and found conditions not suitable to flowing football. Bohemians found themselves one up at half time when they scrambled home a corner. The second half was one-way traffic to the Bohemians goal but they battled stoutly to keep them out. Harleston eventually scored via a long throw by Liam Smith flicked on at the near post and Dan Taylor buried it at the far post. It was only a matter of time before Harleston got a winner, Dan Knox shooting from the edge of the box and finding the bottom corner. MoM: Dan Taylor.

LONG STRATTON U13 won again with a good team performance away at Swindell. Stratton looked particularly impressive in the first half, leading 5-1 at the break. James Gilding and George Larter were outstanding. Final Score: Swindell 4, Long Stratton 8. Alex Addison scored twice, as did Aidan Hilton and Wayne Bemrose, Adam Race and Brendan Edwards also scoring. Stratton Glass and Windows man of the match was James Gilding.

SCOLE GIRLS U15 played Norwich Canaries Yellows who pushed forward from the start and Scole struggled to get the ball out of their half but good defending, safe goal-keeping and the odd bit of luck kept Scole in the game. Scole gradually improved as the half wore on and were rewarded in the last minute when Tash Blakely went clear and slotted the ball past the advancing keeper to go into half time one up. Norwich equalised when a cross from out wide floated over everyone and ended up in the back of the net. Scole thought they had regained the lead when a cross from the left was side footed home by Bea Blazak but she was narrowly ruled offside. Norwich also had a goal ruled out for offside and a very even game ended all square with Chloe Edwards earning Scole's girl of the game.

SCOLE LADS U12 played well throughout this tough match at home to league leaders Litcham. Goalie Goodwin-Tallents was kept busy throughout, for a change, making some great saves that held Litcham to a 0-1 lead in the first half. The forwards put in some great runs as always and the midfield and defenders fought hard to regain possession throughout the match. Finally, Everett put the ball away after Wootton's shot rebounded off the post, 1-2. This gave Scole new vigour but insufficient to win the game despite further opportunities to score . Final score Scole Lads 1, Litcham 4. MoM: Joshua Goodwin-Tallents.

SCOLE LADS U10 lost to Attleborough 3-1. It was a nervy opening from Scole, who took time to get into their stride. Thomas Brown had the first of a couple of decent shots on target before Scole conceded an early goal. They battled in midfield, but too often failed to pass the ball well. They fell further behind as the defence switched off, when they assumed the ball had gone out of play. MoM Ellis Pullinger started to get the ball down well and played a number of good passes. Charlie Hitch pulled one back with a pile-driver from long range, but this was quickly cancelled out when Attleborough added a third.

SCOLE LADS U10 beat Firside 1-0. Scole got within touching distance of the league title with a deserved victory.

Good passing between Manning, Heffer and Brown should have been converted, with Scole having three against one. At the other end, Boardman had to defend coolly when alone against three Firside players. Matt Perry had to be alert to tip over a long-range shot. Scole took the lead from a typically strong effort from MoM Manning from the edge of the box. They should have doubled their tally when a good run from Lewis Burrows picked out Kyle Hanusiak in the box, but his effort cleared the bar.

SCOLE U11 were entertaining the league leaders Hellesdon so were in for a tough match. Scole started well and certainly matched Hellesdon in game play. Scole produced some good chances on goal. But eventually it was Hellesdon who scored first. This remained the score until half time. During half time, due to Scole's goalkeeper suffering an injury, the team had to reshuffle. Scole came out on the attack again and pressurised Hellesdon and were rewarded with a goal from Luke Barraclough to equalise. Scole held on for a further 10 minutes before Hellesdon broke down Scole's defence again. Final Score Scole 1, Hellesdon 3. Man of the match Ben Broadley good work in defence.

SCOLE U13, knowing that they have to win all three of their remaining games to win the League Scole looked nervous against a strong Hethersett side. Scole did create chances, most of them coming from MoM Oscar Marshall down the left but a lack of composure saw the chances wasted. Daniel Wyles was having an excellent game at full back. Hethersett took the lead just before half time with an excellent finish from outside the area. Scole started to apply lots of pressure but Hethersett defended well, in the last minute of normal time a goalmouth scramble from a corner fell to Will Nevitt who stabbed the ball home. The boys then threw everything at Hethersett and an over-hit through-ball, which looked comfortable for the keeper, was spilled and Aiden Shaen-Carter tapped the ball in to an empty net to give Scole a win and keep title chances alive.