Focus on north Norfolk

FREE youth football open session with Norfolk FA football coaches on Saturday, March 27, 10am to noon at Coltishall Village Hall Field, Rectory Road, Coltishall.

FREE youth football open session with Norfolk FA football coaches on Saturday, March 27, 10am to noon at Coltishall Village Hall Field, Rectory Road, Coltishall. Open to all boys and girls of all abilities aged between seven to 10 years old. Refreshments will be available. For more information and to book telephone 07982 718101.

CROMER U9 clinched promotion with a comfortable win at Horsford, the only team that could have stopped them. In a one-sided first half, George in Cromer's goal was well protected by William and James, with Jack lively in midfield and Chris strong up front. Cromer took the lead when Noah crashed a power shot into the top corner from outside the area. After some near misses, Jack was rewarded for his tenacity with a well-taken second. After a host of half-time changes, Cromer remained on top and Euan stabbed in after a good run. Ronnie got his toe to a Noah shot to make it 4-0. With the game looking won, Cromer switched off for the last 10 minutes and Horsford staged a series of raids. George played well, and Henry and Kyle worked hard to stem the flow. But there was nothing any of them could do to stop two well-taken goals, and Cromer were relieved when the final whistle came at 4-2. Man-of-the-match: Noah.

CROMER YOUTH U11 ran out comfortable 9-1 winners on a glorious spring morning at Worstead against the Wolves. Cromer dominated from the start and were 1-0 up after only five minutes when Jake Zelos slotted home. Five minutes later the ball fell to Jack Chapman who blasted the ball into the top corner to make it 2-0. Nathan Foulser ran onto a big kick from keeper Alfie Woodrow and finished clinically to make it 3-0 and Jake Zelos got his second of the day with a deft touch, making it 4-0. Joe Gasse-Coope scored Cromer's fifth with a superb strike from outside the box, but Worstead clawed one back to make it 5-1 at half-time.

Early in the second half, Jake Zelos was dragged down in the box and converted his penalty superbly to complete a fine hat-trick, 6-1. Goal seven fell to Joe Gasse-Coope and Stevie Foster deserved his goal for his tireless running all afternoon to make it 8-1. Adam Spruce scored once again through his pace and ability to latch onto any error by the keeper and secured a 9-1 victory and a job well done by the Cromer boys. MoM: Adam Spruce.

HOLT UNITED U9 played out an entertaining 3-3 home draw with Dereham Town on Saturday. Holt started brightly and Liam opened the scoring, controlling a superb floated pass from Jake and firing past the Dereham keeper. Man-of-the-match Joe scored two more in quick succession, a near-post flick from a corner and a shot through the keeper from the narrowest of angles. Solid defending from Bobby, Matthew, Leo and Tyler restricted Dereham to a few long-range efforts that were comfortably dealt with by Kane, and Holt went into the break with a 3-0 lead. A determined Dereham emerged after half-time, and despite some brave goalkeeping from Kane, Holt conceded two goals in as many minutes midway through the second half to cut the deficit to 3-2. Holt were on the back foot, but they defended like tigers, and just when it seemed they had done enough to secure the win, a long-range Dereham effort found its way into the corner of the Holt net and the match ended all square. However, this deserved point will give the boys a lot of confidence after the disappointment of three narrow defeats.

SHERINGHAM WARRIORS U15, with four games left to play, became North East Norfolk U15 champions after a hard-fought 5-2 victory away to Old Catton. Catton put the Warriors under pressure, but they lacked the killer touch so the Warriors reduced them to shooting from distance. With the Warriors' first attack of the match Nathan Lomax's goal-kick found Jodi Norris who flicked it on for Jacob Knowles to calmly guid it past the keeper. Old Catton got an equaliser with a delightful chip over the keeper. Sheringham Warriors then lost one of their influential players when Will Parker was brought crashing down and was unable to carry on, Josh Glister came on and put in a hard-working display. Just before half-time they lost Ali Burghall to sickness. Ali had been in top form at left-back. Jacob Knowles made it 2-1 just before half-time when again he picked the ball up on the left and beat the keeper. In the second half the Warriors soon made it 3-1 when Harry Stamatov drove through the middle and smashed home. Tom Harrison, Josh Dyde, Tommy Bywater, Cameron Humphrey, with Shane Cox in front of them, made up a solid defence for the Warriors. Tom Todd had been moved out right and he made it 4-1 with a well-deserved goal. Jodi Norris put in a real gritty performance playing as a lone striker for much of the game, but keeping Catton's back row on their toes. Jacob scored the Warriors' fifth and completed his hat-trick, finishing off another flowing Warriors move, heading the ball past the keeper. Old Catton made it 5-2 just before the end.

Most Read

STALHAM U12A visited North Walsham. The game started in North Walsham's favour with some very strong attacks that seemed to catch all the Stalham lads asleep which saw Walsham score from 20 yards to make it 1-0. With some fine short, sharp passes Stalham were back in the game. They were awarded a free-kick that was taken quickly to give Adam his first goal to equalise. Dom M put in a nice corner to Jake who flicked it on for Tom to score to put Stalham in the lead 2-1. More quick passing football from Stalham and excellent team pressure from the whole team saw Jake slot in.In the second half Stalham came out very strongly in their attack, seeing Matti push the ball to Will who hit the ball high over the keeper. Aiden then assisted with another ball through to Will for him to make the final score 5-1. A really great effort from Stalham with some players playing positions new to them. Player-of-the-match: Kieran.

NORTH WALSHAM DEVILS U15 lost 3-1 to Norwich United, the Devils returning to league football following a two-month lay-off. Both teams turning in scrappy yet committed performances. With T Knight missing in goal due to injury and J Edwards missing from central defence, some hasty rearranging saw M Seago move from left wing to defence and E Collier take over in goal. On a heavy pitch United seized the initiative and quickly dominated the midfield. The Devils countered by playing wide down the flanks with both teams missing chances. After 15 minutes, the Devils failed to clear a corner and the tallest player on the pitch rose easily to head the ball into the net. C Harkness picked the ball up from the restart and following some good interlinking play, placed a high ball for C Kerry to head low into the corner to make it 1-1. With AJ Johnson bossing the midfield, it was G Ash, who ran the defence, midfield and fought for everything. An injury to C Kerry saw further changes which led to F Henley-Hunter becoming very isolated up front, even with J Cork playing high up the left wing. A sustained period of pressure from Norwich United saw them regain the lead bang on half-time. The second half saw both teams competing evenly although lack of competitive football began to take its toll with a number of players suffering from cramp. Despite some commanding football from C Harkness and G Ash, and H Ward playing a more attacking role, the score remained 2-1 until the last minute when Norwich United scored a third. With the return of injured and missing players over the next week or so, North Walsham look forward to a real battle at high-flying Dereham Town.

STALHAM U10 played East Coast Warriors. The team of William, Jake, Harry, Troy, Sean, Ryan, Matthew T and Daniel worked hard and played good football as a team. They conceded one goal in each half to lose 2-0. A good result against a strong team, everyone played good football and they did themselves proud. PoM: Ryan for fantastic marking, strong tackling and working his socks off.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U11 welcomed fellow title-chasing Hindolveston for a hard-fought game. Hindolveston spent five minutes hammering the back line, which although solid struggled to clear effectively. Eventually the ball was smuggled away, and a neatly-placed cross from Lubbock saw Glasgow tap in for an early lead, against the run of play. Hindolveston forced a tremendous save from Baker at full stretch. The vast majority of possession went Hindolveston's way, with an off-colour Coast failing to peg back the visitors. Coast's back four of Smith, Richardson, Reed, and Wilkinson really earned their colours, backed up by Baker making some difficult saves, and more than a helping hand from Lady Luck. Smith, in particular, was outstanding as he raced from end to end supporting the midfield, and then stifling a Hindolveston counter. A long individual run from Glasgow ended when he was scythed down just outside the box. The beautifully curled free-kick was headed in by Brown. In the second period a penalty was awarded to Coast, but saved by the Hindolveston stopper. The final opportunity from Baker's clearance was run long by Lozeau, who crossed for Lee to slam home. The 3-0 scoreline was due to hard work by the Coast defences, and the forward line's ability to deliver on the few chances that fell their way.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U9 entertained top-of-the-table Thorpe and lost 4-1. The first half was closely matched. East Coast missed good chances and the Thorpe keeper made important saves. Thorpe scored the valuable first goal to lead at half-time. In the second half Thorpe scored two more to increase their lead to 3-0. R Macmillan gave East Coast some hope when he scored to bring the score to 3-1, however Thorpe maintained the pressure and added another to their tally. East Coast didn't play the standard of football of which they are capable.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U10 were at home to Stalham U10. In a very entertaining game East Coast played some excellent passing football. The midfield of A Galley, A Little, J Boggis and T Oxley worked tirelessly providing opportunities for J Stearman and B Candlish up front. A well-taken volley from J Stearman put the Warriors 1-0 up before half-time. The defence of C Craske and L Goodrum worked hard and helped S Howell in goal keep a clean sheet. A good all-round team performance and another goal for J Stearman made the final score 2-0 to East Coast Warriors.

HOLT UTD U10 entertained an unbeaten Old Catton A. Alfie and Louis dominated the midfield with support from Noah but Old Catton's defence were hard to break down. Holt's defence played just as well and it was not until the last few minutes of the first half that they let in a well-worked Catton goal. The second half also started with Ed and Bobby playing so well in defence with support from Kyle and superb saves from Tyla keepingthe score at 1-0. Up front Finlay, Terry and Sophie could not break the Catton defence. Alfie, Louis and Noah worked their socks off in midfield, but it was a defensive error that led to Catton's second, then Catton made a quick break and from a cross and a superb header made it 3-0. Holt finally broke through the Catton defence with a superb strike from Terry to make it 3-1 the final score. Well done to Terry Hall for his bravery after his injury, but PoM went to Tyla Cole for some of the best saves all season.

NORTH WALSHAM U9 welcomed Aylsham to Greens Road on Saturday. Both sides started positively but the home side found the visiting keeper in fine form. First he blocked a shot from Connor and then palmed an excellent shot from Ethan round a post.

Despite the early chances Walsham were finding it difficult to get their passing game going and this was partly due to Aylsham's determined play. However, they broke the deadlock when Connor's mazy run saw the ball end with Tom W who knocked it into the net from six yards. Just before half-time Connor's corner found its way straight into the net. Aylsham began the second half well. A breakaway resulted in them pulling a goal back. Though Jordan made a great save from the first shot, he was unable to prevent the striker netting the rebound. Walsham responded well. With Sam and Tom D playing well in midfield, Walsham were creating chances. Tom D hit a great shot against the bar and then Sam had a shot well saved by an inspired keeper. But he was unable to stop Tom D adding a third as he turned and fired into the top right-hand corner. A sublime 20-yard pass by George found Tom W, whose square pass to Sam set him up to shoot into the bottom corner from just inside the area. Aylsham continued to pressure but Walsham held out for a 4-1 win.