Football returns as leaders breeze past Hellesdon

After two weeks of complete inactivity, Sunday mornings returned to almost normal, with only a handful of pitches being deemed unfit to play on.

In the Premier Division, Luke Tuttle helped himself to a hat trick as leaders AFC Wanderers beat Hellesdon Athletic 8-1. Lloyd Greening scored twice and there were further goals for Matt Elwin, Liam Blofield and Craig Bussens as AFC stayed two points clear of Acle Rangers, who were 5-1 winners at home to Dog House. Marlborough remain in third spot after a 3-0 (Jason Armes 2, Colin Wines) win over Norwich Busmen whilst Aylsham Sunday and Bayer FC took a point each as they shared eight goals. After starting the day at the bottom of the table, Fiveways lifted themselves up two places courtesy of a good 4-2 victory at Sprowston Rovers.

Windmill Wanderers are the new leaders of 1A. As morning leaders Sprowston Sunday were being held to a goalless draw at Aslacton, Windmill were winning 4-0 at Eaton FC. Tom Amis scored four times as Norman Wanderers beat a sporting ten man Castlegate 11-0, McCloy (2), Bee (2), Pilgrim, Gauntlet and Webb also found the net, whilst Dussindale Rovers moved up to fifth spot as they beat Hockering 5-1. Horsford United Sunday lifted themselves out of the bottom two as they had a 3-1 home win over DCS Rapid.

Before kick off only two points separated the top six sides in 1B. Leaders St Faiths stayed top of the division after a good 4-1 (Chris Mooney 2, Paul Sizer, Danny Tickle) win at Earlham United, who dropped from second spot to fourth. PL Rangers are now second after coming from behind to beat Rose Tavern 2-1 with goals coming from Matt Plumstead and Matt Goddard. The ever improving Prince of Denmark move up to third position after beating Acle Rangers Reserves 3-0. Denmark had the chance to take a third minute lead from the penalty spot after Chris Holmes was brought down but Ryan Hemmings brilliantly saved Ben Lewis’s kick. The game was fairly even with the wind doing its best to spoil it but there was some good football played at times. James Moy in the home goal produced a terrific save from a well stuck Geoff Handley drive and the game looked to be heading for a half-time stalemate until a good move down the right by the home side produced a close range finish from Jamie Moore. The second half saw Acle search for an equaliser and a golden opportunity for Handley saw him put the ball wide, a miss that was to prove costly, as from the goal kick, the long ball deceived the Acle back four and Sonny Atherton ran on to lob the keeper. Denmark now looked comfortable and but for Hemmings in the Acle goal, could have increased their lead, something they finally done with three minutes left as Atherton added his second of the game. Unicorns and Sprowston Wanderers took a point each in a 1-1 draw, Matt Howard scored for Unicorns, whilst Moles Rest moved off the bottom of the table as they won 3-2 at home to Heartsease FC.

In 2A, the top four sides faced each other. Riverside Rovers went back to the top of the table as they beat morning leaders Norman Wanderers Reserves 4-1, whilst Mad Moose are now second after thumping Dancing Farmers 6-1 with goals coming from Tom Swabey (3), Bram Goodwin Wright (2) and Fionn Goodwin Wright. Stoke FC were 3-2 winners at Constable Crusaders, and there was a good win for Green Man who beat The Cottage 4-3.

Bell Inn returned to top form in 2B as they hammered Salhouse Rovers 11-1. Dale Simpson and Joe Pattison helped themselves to four goals each whilst Liam Ward, Will Farrow and a 25-yard Reece Ashman strike completed the rout. Poringland Wanderers are second after Scott Casey and Jonny Causton goals gave them the win at SDC United, whilst a 5-3 win for Ribs Rovers over DEF FC sees them move into fourth spot. Two goals from Dwayne Green and another from Dan Davies saw Sloughbottom Revolution put some daylight between themselves and the bottom two as they won 3-1 at Sloughbottom Revolution. Ten-man Hillside OB went down 8-2 at home to Unicorns Reserves, whose goals came from Ali Curran (3), Damon Halls (3), Matt Jacobs and Luke Barber.

With Brooke FC inactive Sporting Longdale moved top of 3A thanks to a single goal scored by player manager Lewis Brady during a hard fought 1-0 victory over Norman Wanderers A. Temples Property were 4-2 (Kieron Rose, Marcus Holt, Blue Clarke, Daniel Spinks) winners over Phoenix Felthorpe and there was a valuable point for bottom side Newsman Celtic as they drew 1-1 with Temple Bar.

Most Read

Only two games were played in 3B. Hainford Howitzers went to Taverham United and won 3-2. Peter Taylor and Brad Waterman scored for the visitors as did Dom Miller in his last game for the club before he moves to the USA. His team mates wish him well, but has he not heard of commuting on a Sunday? Luke Pope and Scott Symonds replied for Taverham. Chapelfield Rovers were 3-1 winners over Windmill Elite.

In 4A, second placed Dilham Cross Keys missed the chance to go clear of Horsford Youth in third as they went down 3-2 (Daniel Duffield and Lewis Crosby) at Bungay Town Reserves, Micawbers Tavern scored five without reply at CNSOBU Sunday and Brooke Reserves were 3-1 (Ben Nolan Alex Witham and Tom Miller) winners over The Stores Reserves.

Freemasons kept their lead at the top of 4B as they won 4-2 at AFC Oak, whilst second placed Hethersett Reserves were 5-1 winners at Red Lion FC. Shipdham Rangers lost ground at the top as they were beaten 5-1 at home by Locksley Athletic. Ryan Higgins and Luke Perry grabbed brace each with Marc Gee scoring the other for a Locksley side, who after losing their first five matches in the league, have now gone six unbeaten.