Former Canaries defender knocks Ipswich out of the FA Cup
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Former Norwich City defender Sean Raggett was the extra-time hero as Portsmouth knocked Ipswich Town out of the first round of the FA Cup this afternoon.
The League One promotion hopefuls met at Portman Road and Pompey had moved into a two-goal lead inside the first 15 minutes.
It was Raggett’s error which had allowed Jon Nolan to pull a goal back just before the break for the Tractor Boys and James Norwood equalised in the 66th minute.
The visitors hit the post in extra-time and then claimed progress to the second round as he scrambled in from close range from a free-kick in the 111th minute, with the goal standing despite a clear suspicion of offside.
It was a fourth defeat in six games for Paul Lambert’s team although Town do still sit second in the League One table.
You may also want to watch:
Raggett joined Norwich from Lincoln in 2017 but remained with the Imps on loan before making two appearances for City during the second half of 2017-18.
The centre-back spent an injury-hit 2018-19 at Rotherham but then played an important part in a season which ended in play-off disappointment for Pompey, then signing permanently this summer when he was released by Norwich.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 5 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 6 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 7 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 8 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 9 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 10 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit