Former Canaries defender knocks Ipswich out of the FA Cup
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Former Norwich City defender Sean Raggett was the extra-time hero as Portsmouth knocked Ipswich Town out of the first round of the FA Cup this afternoon.
The League One promotion hopefuls met at Portman Road and Pompey had moved into a two-goal lead inside the first 15 minutes.
It was Raggett’s error which had allowed Jon Nolan to pull a goal back just before the break for the Tractor Boys and James Norwood equalised in the 66th minute.
The visitors hit the post in extra-time and then claimed progress to the second round as he scrambled in from close range from a free-kick in the 111th minute, with the goal standing despite a clear suspicion of offside.
It was a fourth defeat in six games for Paul Lambert’s team although Town do still sit second in the League One table.
You may also want to watch:
Raggett joined Norwich from Lincoln in 2017 but remained with the Imps on loan before making two appearances for City during the second half of 2017-18.
The centre-back spent an injury-hit 2018-19 at Rotherham but then played an important part in a season which ended in play-off disappointment for Pompey, then signing permanently this summer when he was released by Norwich.
- 1 City lodge complaint to EFL over match officials conduct during Luton Town defeat
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Luton Town 3 Canaries 1
- 3 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Luton Town
- 4 Norwich City able to access £8.33m loan after Premier League agree EFL bailout
- 5 Bullish Farke unhappy at defending and key calls in Luton defeat
- 6 'A perfect storm' - Fans have their say as injuries finally take their toll on Canaries
- 7 Luton 3-1 City: Tired Canaries come up well short
- 8 What do the new Brexit rules mean for Norwich City?
- 9 Iwan Roberts: I've never seen an injury crisis like Norwich City's before
- 10 Skipp calls for City to be smarter after Luton defeat