Former Canaries defender knocks Ipswich out of the FA Cup
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Former Norwich City defender Sean Raggett was the extra-time hero as Portsmouth knocked Ipswich Town out of the first round of the FA Cup this afternoon.
The League One promotion hopefuls met at Portman Road and Pompey had moved into a two-goal lead inside the first 15 minutes.
It was Raggett’s error which had allowed Jon Nolan to pull a goal back just before the break for the Tractor Boys and James Norwood equalised in the 66th minute.
The visitors hit the post in extra-time and then claimed progress to the second round as he scrambled in from close range from a free-kick in the 111th minute, with the goal standing despite a clear suspicion of offside.
It was a fourth defeat in six games for Paul Lambert’s team although Town do still sit second in the League One table.
You may also want to watch:
Raggett joined Norwich from Lincoln in 2017 but remained with the Imps on loan before making two appearances for City during the second half of 2017-18.
The centre-back spent an injury-hit 2018-19 at Rotherham but then played an important part in a season which ended in play-off disappointment for Pompey, then signing permanently this summer when he was released by Norwich.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 9 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 10 Young Canaries suffer last-gasp defeat in first game of 2021