Former Canaries duo named in League Two Team of the Season after Lincoln’s title success
- Credit: PA
Fresh from winning the League Two title with Lincoln, two Norwich City academy graduates have been named in the PFA’s Team of the Season for the fourth tier.
Harry Toffolo and Jason Shackell have been key players for the Imps as they swept to the League Two title, sealed by a 0-0 home draw with play-off contenders Tranmere on Monday, putting Danny Cowley’s team eight points clear at the top.
Lincoln will play in the third tier for the first time since 1999 next season – and 35-year-old Shackell will stay with them, after signing a new contract on Wednesday afternoon.
Along with team-mates John Akinde and Neal Eardley, Shackell and Toffolo have been named in the Professional Footballers’ Association League Two Team of the Season, which is voted for by players from across the division.
Shackell joined at the start of the season and has gone on to make 40 appearances, scoring five goals, and has signed another one-year deal until the end of next season.
“I’m delighted, I’ve really enjoyed this season and getting back to playing regularly,” Shackell said.
You may also want to watch:
“All the staff and the lads have been great, after all the success we’ve had this year I’m really excited to be staying for another year.”
Centre-back Shackell started out with Norwich and made 145 appearances across two spells, having made his debut as a 19-year-old in 2003.
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 4 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 5 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 7 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 8 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
- 9 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week
- 10 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
He made six appearances as City won promotion to the Premier League in 2004 and later helped both Burnley and Wolves to reach the top flight.
“I’ve been in three promotions before this one, so that’s four promotions now,” he added, speaking to Lincoln’s website.
“It’s been a great year, everyone’s worked really hard, and all the lads, staff and everyone else at the club really deserves it.
“I think we deserve to be where we are next season, we’ve earned this promotion.”
Left-back Toffolo was part of the FA Youth Cup winning squad of 2013 at City but was allowed to join Millwall in January 2018 after just two cup appearances, after loan spells with clubs including Swindon, Peterborough and Rotherham.
The 23-year-old has made 50 appearances since joining the Imps last summer, scoring three goals, and will be returning to League One next season.
“Humbled to be picked in the PFA League Two Team of the Year by my fellow professionals,” Toffolo posted on Instagram.
“It’s even sweeter to be in there with a few of the boys too!”